Reading up on the Vahi on Biosector01.

1) The Vahi was damaged and leaked energy, affecting life around it.

2) It can't be used for time travel.

3) Last we saw of it, Voporak had it and took it to Spherus Magna.

Make of that what you will. So far, the Vahi is the only connection we could have between the two universes.

Also, the Vahi is one of three legendary masks along with Life and Creation. In the new universe, Ekimu has Creation. Ultimate Power is kind of like Life? And if the Vahi is half a mask... Couple it with Makuta's Mask of Control and you have what?

Time Control.

BAM!

I actually kinda hope this is the case. Either way I'm hyped, no matter how kiddy it ends up being.

You know, would it have killed Lego to say today whether this is a reboot or not?! "Hey look at this. Now speculate for three more months!!"

By the way, I REALLY hope that we get something like the Mata Nui Online Game. I played it recently...... :wub:. I mean, they already have the same animations, so......And wouldn't it be great if it was released, like, NOW?!

I know this has been said in other words before, but 2001 was also very much a one-year plot. Very much so. Six heroes find six masks each, then they'll be powerful enough to defeat the Makuta and awaken Mata Nui. If I remember correctly, the original Bionicle was supposed to be a one-year thing, and we would have found out Mata Nui's true nature at the end of 2001.

Reading up on the Vahi on Biosector01.

1) The Vahi was damaged and leaked energy, affecting life around it.

2) It can't be used for time travel.

3) Last we saw of it, Voporak had it and took it to Spherus Magna.

Make of that what you will. So far, the Vahi is the only connection we could have between the two universes.

Also, the Vahi is one of three legendary masks along with Life and Creation. In the new universe, Ekimu has Creation. Ultimate Power is kind of like Life? And if the Vahi is half a mask... Couple it with Makuta's Mask of Control and you have what?

Time Control.

BAM!

EDIT: The Mask of Time can't be controlled by any normal being. But Makuta has the Mask of Control now, so....

Well, the Vahi was carved from the Disk of Time, which in turn was made from the six great disks. We knew all that from the main story. Greg said at one point that the Great Disks were made by Artakha, but that hasn't been reinforced anywhere else in the story, per se. So if we retcon the "made by Artakha" thing, the six disks could have at one point been a part of the Disk of Time itself before being split, and maybe the DoT was also a counterpart to something... etc. Or maybe the Mask of Creation has to do with the Vahi. Who knows?

I'm not worried about them making the story fit, as it were. With a bit of hoop jumping, there's plenty of plausible scenarios that can be made. I just wanted a fresh start so we wouldn't have to belabor any of these points. And I'm still hoping for it.

I don't know. All this Vahi speculation (on my part) is making my head hurt. I have a habit of analyzing things to figure stuff out.

Right now, though, I think I'll just enjoy the reboot and watch how things play out.

You know, would it have killed Lego to say today whether this is a reboot or not?! "Hey look at this. Now speculate for three more months!!"

* shrug *

I just wish we could corroborate that somehow. BZP is being mum on the issue other than having previously said it was a reboot; surely they interviewed the panelists? I imagine it will be made clearer in the next few days, either online or from statements at NYCC, but it's two competing sources against each other otherwise.

There are pictures on BZP's Twitter of B6 interviewing Bionicle staff; I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Greg recently posted this on the LMBS:

It's been confirmed at the BIONICLE panel in New York that this is a reboot, not a continuation of the old storyline.

This seems to be more than his analysis of it. A few days earilier, he posted this:

I have not been asked to do that, for reasons that I think will become clear after NYCC.
( I can't find the exact post, this was posted in the Greg Compendium on BZP.)

I'm aware of retcons, and am of the opinon that they are one of the worst evils man has ever created.

I want a movie where Tahu enters the Bio15 world though a magic mirror, only to freak out because his armour is attatched by balljoints. Also jaller is a dog. Wacky hijinks ensue. 10/10 IGN

haha I get that reference

As far as I'm concerned it's just a TTV guess, since they quoted no one and provided no citation for the information... and I can't find a quote that says that. But the fact that Greg didn't specify it as a "soft" reboot leads me to believe it is a full reboot.

I hope the old storyline isn't connected, and this is all rumors. Of course, I have no doubt that yet could pull it off well--I just kind of hope they don't.

Also, I think it would be cool if Makuta's status as Ekimu's brother could make some kind of reconciliation possible, even if it were just pre-death, as with Darth Vader. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I went back and took a look at the masks from the NYCC images. Lewa's has really grown on me, I can definitely see the resemblance to the original. Gali's mask is eh but not bad. Onua's, Pohatu's, and Kopaka's masks are all great. Tahu's mask... I still don't like it. The prototype one was better IMO.

Thus the shrug.

It appears Pohatu's weapons are called Jetarangs. Oh. Well then.

Haha. Haha.

what

Okay.

I hope the old storyline isn't connected, and this is all rumors. Of course, I have no doubt that yet could pull it off well--I just kind of hope they don't.

Also, I think it would be cool if Makuta's status as Ekimu's brother could make some kind of reconciliation possible, even if it were just pre-death, as with Darth Vader. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'd love both a dark and a light Makuta version as sets, perhaps the latter as a store exclusive or something, even if it is just a Jetrax-esque recolor.

Has it been discussed that that the Makuta/Ekimu movie says that elemental powers are in the masks? [ancient law blah blah blah no more than 1 elemental power per mask] This would at least keep the fact that the masks have powers, even if the old powers got scrapped.

Also to explain the toa entering a new universe and changing their powers, I draw your attention to the major plot convenience known as adaptive armor. With a new universe as the new environment lego can wave the Advanced Technology Baton again. But I have gotten used to the idea of a complete and total reboot, so the alternate universes can just sit as headcanon while a whole new toa mata team takes the scene.

I'd love both a dark and a light Makuta version as sets, perhaps the latter as a store exclusive or something, even if it is just a Jetrax-esque recolor.

yessssssssssss I love Makuta's new design. Something about that mask.

If/when Ekimu and Makuta are made into sets do you think they will both have forging hammers? I would like to see makuta maybe get a different main weapon, or have that spike on the back of his exaggerated into a scythe while Artahka Ekimu keeps his warhammer.

Edited by InfurnallDragon

Having connecting universes/timelines would be the saving grace of the new story. There are so many amazing ways they could go about it.

But I gotta ask, since people got to actually 'touch' the new sets at that Lego store event, could BZpower members and the works, have gotten the sets today to review and such?

I have mixed feelings. Cool that they may be tying in the old story. But I don't want more than a reference. And I certainly don't want the Toa in the Nuvaverse (we'll roll with those names) to be the same as in the Mataverse. Nothing was said about that, but considering they wake up not knowing who they are? Seems like they could be time travelers with amnesia. What would be cool is if they learn to act as a team by discovering some ancient depiction of the Mataverse Toa. Maybe the Nuvaverse Toa are time clones or something created due to a mishap with the Vahi.

On the other hand, I still want this to be a separate entity. I like where it's going, and I don't want it muddied by Bionicle's awesome-yet-convoluted story.

^ My thoughts exactly.

But I gotta ask, since people got to actually 'touch' the new sets at that Lego store event, could BZpower members and the works, have gotten the sets today to review and such?

Not likely. Even if they did, it would have been through different channels, and there would still be a review embargo on them.

I'm sure they'll write up their impressions, hopefully tell us more about functions and such, but a full "review" will come much later.

Edited by Dorek

People need to accept that this is a reboot. Either accept the new, and agree to journey to the mystical land of Okoto, or remain in the original universe and keep those memories.

Lego: "Hey kids, get ready to have your heads hurt! The Toa are time copies of Toa from a different universe created when the Vahi--a mask of Time created by Vakama--um, who was a Toa of Metru Nui--um, which was inside of a robot--who, um, was Mata Nui--who was the brother of Makuta--but, um, not this Makuta, but this Makuta is a copy of that Makuta---You know what kids? Reboot time."

Just keep Bionicle I in your heart forever, and embark on the new adventure that is Bionicle II. Or, stay in your nostalgia bubbles.

Lego: "Hey kids, get ready to have your heads hurt! The Toa are time copies of Toa from a different universe created when the Vahi--a mask of Time created by Vakama--um, who was a Toa of Metru Nui--um, which was inside of a robot--who, um, was Mata Nui--who was the brother of Makuta--but, um, not this Makuta, but this Makuta is a copy of that Makuta---You know what kids? Reboot time."

See this is what I'm afraid of... xD

As far as I'm concerned it's just a TTV guess, since they quoted no one and provided no citation for the information... and I can't find a quote that says that. But the fact that Greg didn't specify it as a "soft" reboot leads me to believe it is a full reboot.

Not a guess; we were directly told by multiple people that it is a "soft" reboot. I expect you'll be hearing concrete sources once we (and others) get the interviews up in the coming days. We'd have no reason to misconstrue info considering we were actually there. :P

The reason being, they are strongly hinting towards connections to the old storyline (potentially involving the Vahi). They dropped major hints to the Vahi being only "half a mask" and its completion being a plot point. Based on that, I'm looking at this:

-Toa from the Mataverse and are transported through time to an alternate timeline/dimension via Vahi

-They crash land on Okoto

-They lose their memories

-REBOOT

They will likely only delve into this territory in order to leave it ambiguous for the fans. There may be some kind of payoff involving the Vahi but I don't expect we'll ever be returning to the old universe. They stressed the concise, direct form of storytelling they wish to go for in the panel when they were mentioning how they'll no longer use a lot of old terminology. This whole deal will just likely be used as a bridging gap for fans; for all intents and purposes, it is a reboot.

Edited by Mesonak