Also, arc: Aren't they the same blades that Tahu uses?

I think so, what I mean is tahu uses them like a board, I want to attach them like ice skates like on his nuva form.

What makes you say that? The fact that has about 50 Skull Spiders behind him? :classic:

Also, arc: Aren't they the same blades that Tahu uses?

Lewa's axle..ehm "handles" are the same blades Tahu wields while surfing, yes. The piece was introduced in 2013 in silver and tr. bright green (though due to the type of plastic, it ended up looking opaque like the Vahki eyes). Then, thanks to Chima, we got it in tr. blue and tr. red (which was pretty much solid red anyway). The gold version Tahu's using came in this year's largest Ninjago set.

I do like the piece, but it looks very simplistic compared to the old and new BIONICLE weapons..so I'm not surprised they're using it as a secondary weapon for the Toa. It works nicely in transparent colours though, since it can represent an energy blade.

Oh wow, I've been massively ninja'd. I forgot I need to constantly refresh here. :tongue:

Edited by Shakar

Kopaka's blades don't have any holes pointing in the right direction to allow them to be used as skates, due to the 2.0 foot not having the slot in it that the mata foot did. They could potentially be skis thought, I guess, and he has a spear which could double as the stick skiers use that I've forgotten the name of.

I saw at one of TTV's videos that someone gave a translation for Bionicle's sales pitch to retailers in the comments.

Join the Warriors of LEGO BIONICLE

- Kids love the instant gratification offered by the possibility of building and rebuilding them when they want!

-The imaginary characters and the missions with high significance make the children feel involved [immediately]

-Parents will [appreciate] the concept of battle between good and evil that encourages the imagination of the kids

-Boys love the epic and mystic setting of the story.

Success factors:

-Ideal for impulsive purchasers in more than one exhibition point of the store

-BIONICLE is the most requested and popular LEGO IP

-Concept globally attractive: everyone wants to take part in the battle for the masks!

-Marketing campaign integrated with lots of contents

Launch: January

LEGO BIONICLE is back among us!

Bigger and better than ever!

-Kids love the fights and battles of this range of products

-[??? Can't understand because of low quality]

-BIONICLE inspire and develops the builders of the future

-The complexity of the story makes the children feel involved for a long time.

Success Factors:

-Important plan of development and consolidation of the IP

-The low price encourages the impulse of the consumer to buy it

-Differentiation from other products from the LEGO brand

-Marketing campaign integrated with [lots of] contents

Launch: January

[emphasis added]

It is mostly just sales jargon, but this is pretty exciting to me. It shows that LEGO will go all out, and possibly that they want to do their best with reviving BIONICLE. The one expectation I'll hold high for LEGO on BIONICLE is that they will have an amazing multimedia campaign for it like the old one. And they apparently plan to have another complex story.

inb4 anger at use of the word:

mystic

EDIT: had to fix quote. removed link to leak just in case.

Upon rereading it there seems to be a minor, but not really new nudge at what the plot will be.

Edited by InfurnallDragon

If it is true that the second wave only has five large sets, it will still be interesting. I'd be excited to see what they do with five ccbs "titans". Hopefully they aren't all humanoid.

I saw at one of TTV's videos that someone gave a translation for Bionicle's sales pitch to retailers in the comments.

[emphasis added]

It is mostly just sales jargon, but this is pretty exciting to me. It shows that LEGO will go all out, and possibly that they want to do their best with reviving BIONICLE. The one expectation I'll hold high for LEGO on BIONICLE is that they will have an amazing multimedia campaign for it like the old one. And they apparently plan to have another complex story.

inb4 anger at use of the word:

mystic

EDIT: had to fix quote. removed link to leak just in case.

Upon rereading it there seems to be a minor, but not really new nudge at what the plot will be.

That's really interesting! I'm glad that the complexity of the story was appealing to kids. Pretty much confirmed we're getting another badge mask quest. BUT NO MASK PACKS WHYY

It's a new theme. It's a given that they'll go all out! That description there is probably meant for retailers, though, since they're the ones viewing the catalogue.

I expect that to be the point of the hooked legs pot-wise, but you can see the clip's shape on the spiders like the MoCr's on half the new images.

It's a new theme. It's a given that they'll go all out! That description there is probably meant for retailers, though, since they're the ones viewing the catalogue.

I knew that is directed at retailers, the heavy emphasis on the "complex" plot with "Important plan of development and consolidation of the IP" that I found interesting. I think the new lore will eventually grow to be large like BIONICLE's old one. It is just not clear how large. They might find a way to make the plot more detailed and complex than the other IPs currently out while still making it accessible for fans.

Edited by InfurnallDragon

Late to the party, but if these things do mind control... YEAH, Lewa's gonna get hit by it. Just for old times' sake.

People always conveniently forget that Tahu got hit by a krana as well :P

Well, that was only in the TV adverts and such... There was a comic cover showing him hit by one, but the rest of that comic sort of ignored that...

Technically still canon! But the point is that all of the bad stuff happens to Lewa. I'd love a fakeout, where someone saves Lewa from being controlled at their expense. That would make me laugh more than Lewa getting controlled again.

But Lewa got infected by one of the infected masks as well, so it's more of a running thing with him. xD

I seem to recall that collectible packs in later years weren't actually known about until soon before they released, so there is still a chance of mask packs. Especially since in the translation of the catalog they mention masks being a central component.

I think so, what I mean is tahu uses them like a board, I want to attach them like ice skates like on his nuva form.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. :blush: But yeah, I have thought about that to, since it would be absolutely incredible. But his feet have no spaces for it :cry_sad: ......

So I was perusing some old GregF blog entries on BZP (didn't find what I was looking for, but that's k), and I stumbled upon a relevant little note on the use of "reboot".

Entry is here, but for posterity:

There are lots of rumors flying around BZP, and the word "reboot" is being used a lot (often by people who don't know what the word means) ... so I thought I would address them here.

-- The plan for 2009 is to take the story in a new direction. That does NOT mean:

* Killing all the old characters

* Pretending all the old story never happened

* Starting over again with the Toa Mata on Mata Nui

* Telling a story that has nothing to do with anything that happened before.

It's interesting to see that Greg initially disavowed the use of the word "reboot" even though "soft reboot" later came into circulation. Reboot means a lot of different things to different people, at this point, even though it it should be pretty simple. I just thought the entry made a nice counterpoint to the discussions here, when we are very incredibly likely going into what can only be described as a reboot, even if people have other ways of viewing it =P.

(man we found out stuff early back then)

A soft reboot is what they tried to do in 2009...and it got the series cancelled

I have to correct you on that one: LEGO decided to put BIONICLE to sleep in 2008.

I have to correct you on that one: LEGO decided to put BIONICLE to sleep in 2008.

so twas the Mistika that killed it

so twas the Mistika that killed it

Was that a Mata Nui joke?

And the Mistika WERE pretty awful looking, at least in terms of faithfulness to the character.

What's wrong with making elementally-colored, simple characters, and changing them into silver messes with more technology than they have body?

Also, I actually LIKED Bara Magna. I LIKED how we saw Mata Nui in action, even though he was super tiny. I LIKED the revisited tribal feel, and the sense of war, and all of the sets released then.

That being said, the movie was terrible. "Oh, look at this! It's the biggest BIONICLE moment ever!! Let's ignore it now!!" And what I think really killed it was the fact that the last half of the story was only available in books and online serials (and the awful Stars.....)

I remembered Greg saying him and the story team were discussing story plans in mid 2009, when a Lego guy came and informed them BIONICLE was canceled...I probably remember the wrong year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mistika were a big blow to the sales, though. The set designs and most of the masks were simply awful.

It's funny, but the Mistika/Phantoka sets were what finally put me into a Bionicle collectors frenzy.

I suppose part of it is that I had no pre-conceived ideas of what the Toa should look like. I didn't know what Lewa Mata or Lewa Nuva looked like, so Lewa Phantoka looked good to me. That and he had a seriously oversized, bad-megablocks sword. :wub:

BTW: why were those sets called Pantoka and Mistika? I don't recall those terms ever appearing in the story.

BTW: why were those sets called Pantoka and Mistika? I don't recall those terms ever appearing in the story.

The terms Phantoka and Mistika meant "spirits of the air" and "spirits of the mist", and you're right, neither of them was officially bestowed upon the Toa Nuva and Makuta from that year in the actual story. From an out-of-universe perspective, they performed the simple function of helping buyers distinguish between the sky characters that came out in the first half of the year and the swamp characters that came out in the second half. The same way the term "Glatorian Legends" was never actually used in the story, but helped differentiate between the summer and winter Glatorian sets.