Didn't they got the adaptive armor after they were captured by Piraka? their appearance now wouldn't make sense. Also the current universe had nothing to explore in Lego's and Greg's opinion. If they however design to just cut out of the story made after 2010 they could just send Toa to somewhere new. But it's highly unlikely especially when the serials were highly noted in the document given to retailers.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the toa/masters look now like their power level is over 9000. Not like they are just starting things from tribal village to smash some bugs. It's hard to think them as younger characters since they look so much more older and experienced now.

And... Tahu and Pohatu now have eybrows.

I wouldn't necessarily call them more experienced-looking. They're larger, and I guess the term "master" implies having total control over their element, but I don't know how one can discern experience from characters that don't have facial expressions and don't age. I agree that they are far larger than the skull spiders, but that didn't help them in 2002 when they were kicked around by midget bohrok, and even midgitier krana.

LOSS is alrightish...but he looks a bit goofy. I don't mind the lack of a huge abdomen, that doesn't detract from the spider aspect too much.

But he only has 6 legs...and the Skull Spiders only have 4...so they aren't even spiders. They're insects. Either that or the Masters have ripped a few limbs off of them in the past...

I'm not so fond of the teeth that look like they're coming out from under his eyelids either...

Despite this there's something rather attractive about him setwise...maybe its the colour scheme.

I think it's definitely going to be interesting to see how future waves of BIONICLE might present the heroes. Their size and elaborate, character-specific designs might make upgrading them for future versions a lot harder than "let's slap some new/different armor and weapons on them" like the Toa Nuva or Brain Attack heroes did.

It'd be kind of interesting if instead of giving them new masks in future versions, the designers did something special with the masks they have currently. Maybe giving each of them a two-color blend like the 2004 Matoran masks? They could even just leave the masks exactly the same like the designers did with many of the Hero Factory Breakout characters, but that would be strange if the new theme is going to have any kind of emphasis on mask collecting (which what we've heard seems to imply).

A lot of people have commented on five sets being small for a summer wave, but that IS what would be pretty consistent with what non-constraction themes have often done for many years. The launch wave has a wide range of sets with a lower average price, while the summer wave has fewer sets with a higher average price. Just look at this year's sets for The LEGO Movie. The launch wave had 13 sets (not counting polybags or CMFs), while the summer wave had just three sets (Four, if you count the direct-to-consumer Metalbeard's Sea Cow). And the LEGO Movie was this year's "big bang" theme! A similar sort of pattern emerges when you consider previous "big bang" themes, provided you ignore sets with an unusual release pattern like Ninjago spinners, Legends of Chima Speedorz, or polybags from any theme. Big initial wave; smaller follow-up wave.

Let's talk about the real problem.

Far less mask than 2001 and

NO

MASK

PACKS

If the budget would have allowed for different masks for the defenders I think it's highly possible we could have got mask packs. But wasn't there still some talk about a vendor of some sort? Is there a change there might be mask packs?

So I was thinking about what the fact that the LOSS may no be the real Main Bad Guy but what if the real bad guy was using the LOSS as an illusion ( sort of how like Makuta used a infected Matoran in MNOLG ) to fool the Toa into thinking that once they had defeated him all there problems will be gone.

On another note I think the Summer wave will consist of six villain characters just like in previous wave`s of Bionicle. :)

Also I really hope the bring back mask packs those were really cool.

think it's definitely going to be interesting to see how future waves of BIONICLE might present the heroes. Their size and elaborate, character-specific designs might make upgrading them for future versions a lot harder than "let's slap some new/different armor and weapons on them" like the Toa Nuva or Brain Attack heroes did.

It'd be kind of interesting if instead of giving them new masks in future versions, the designers did something special with the masks they have currently. Maybe giving each of them a two-color blend like the 2004 Matoran masks?

Or they could solve the upgrade problem entirely by giving us new toa teams? (a guy can dream). Never the less, blended masks would be cool, but maybe blended with an element specific second colour instead of silver. Trans masks would also be cool.

If the budget would have allowed for different masks for the defenders I think it's highly possible we could have got mask packs. But wasn't there still some talk about a vendor of some sort? Is there a change there might be mask packs?

Yes. I remember that somewhere they said that there were going to be collectibles. It came from the guy who gave us the first picture.

Or they could solve the upgrade problem entirely by giving us new toa teams? (a guy can dream). Never the less, blended masks would be cool, but maybe blended with an element specific second colour instead of silver. Trans masks would also be cool.

New Toa teams would be cool, but I doubt I'd want that right away. I like to see actual character development, and I don't think sending the first year's heroes to the sidelines (which is what would likely happen if they weren't available in any form in next year's new sets) would not be very conducive to that.

I think themes like Ninjago have done a good job keeping things interesting while sticking with more or less the same main characters each year. And the past three years of Hero Factory have demonstrated that LEGO is able to release new versions of a character while still keeping their appearance reasonably consistent, something they struggled with in the old days of BIONICLE.

It's just the characters' sizes and complexity that worry me a bit. But maybe I'm overthinking this. This year's CHI Laval and CHI Cragger are slightly shorter and have slightly fewer pieces than last year's versions, but they don't feel like a downgrade by any stretch of the imagination — their new armor and "energized" color schemes take care of that problem. And the difference in height and piece count between the current Toa sets is already not enormous. So it's entirely possible that the LEGO Group could "upgrade" the current Toa without necessarily having to make them bigger or more complex. Some could even be made SMALLER and LESS complex while still feeling like they gained more than they lost.

I guess even the original Toa Nuva bear credence to this. There were some big changes in their relative proportions and piece counts. Pohatu lost nine pieces and got slightly shorter, while Onua gained eleven pieces and got slightly taller, but it didn't feel like ANY of them were considerably downgraded or their identities were lost in the transformation.

Also, fun fact I discovered when I was making comparisons: The new Toa appear to have roughly the same average height as the Toa Metru. Depending on how the heads are attached I might be off slightly. But assuming the ball snap on the head attaches directly to the ball on the top of the torso and doesn't have a 3M beam or friction joint in between, Tahu and Kopaka are roughly 26 modules tall, Gali and Lewa are roughly 25 modules tall, and Pohatu and Onua are roughly 24 modules tall. Among the Toa Metru, Nokama and Nuju were roughly 26 modules tall and the other four were roughly 24 modules tall.

Also, the protectors are on average just slightly taller than the Matoran of Metru Nui (17.5 modules instead of 17 modules). It's impressive how similar the proportions of these sets are to the proportions of the 2004 sets, especially considering how much more diverse these new sets tend to be.

Edited by Aanchir

I'm amazed such an intense debate was sparked by some fairly vague information in one paragraph (that seems to have been translated from another language). Surely we shouldn't decide whether the storyline's good or not until something official comes along.

A midquel or whatever you call it would be the worst option as far as keeping confusion to a minimum, unless you can think of a way to say it's a midquel without mentioning the vast story surrounding it that would be required for at least 75% of it to make sense.

A midquel or whatever you call it would be the worst option as far as keeping confusion to a minimum, unless you can think of a way to say it's a midquel without mentioning the vast story surrounding it that would be required for at least 75% of it to make sense.

Grima, you're right!

Midquel... Journey of Takanuva. Takanuva shows up in the alternate, Bio2015 universe. So once we get a Takanuva figure, it's actually the same Takanuva from the original story!

As cool as that would be, it'll never happen :P

As for future waves and main Heroes, I think it'd be cool to see Matoran as the main Heroes for a wave/year. So, 6 small Matoran sets and 6 larger villain sets. Basically, it'd be like the Chronicler's Company sets that we never got.

Hmmm... CCBS Chronicler's Company. Make it happen, Lego.

Grima, you're right!

You'll find that happens more often than people give me credit for :P

Also, fun fact I discovered when I was making comparisons: The new Toa appear to have roughly the same average height as the Toa Metru. Depending on how the heads are attached I might be off slightly. But assuming the ball snap on the head attaches directly to the ball on the top of the torso and doesn't have a 3M beam or friction joint in between, Tahu and Kopaka are roughly 26 modules tall, Gali and Lewa are roughly 25 modules tall, and Pohatu and Onua are roughly 24 modules tall. Among the Toa Metru, Nokama and Nuju were roughly 26 modules tall and the other four were roughly 24 modules tall.

Also, the protectors are on average just slightly taller than the Matoran of Metru Nui (17.5 modules instead of 17 modules). It's impressive how similar the proportions of these sets are to the proportions of the 2004 sets, especially considering how much more diverse these new sets tend to be.

I very much like this information. Making a decent-looking Toa Metru build, or something similar, is much easier for me than a decent-looking 06-09-scale MOC.

As for future waves and main Heroes, I think it'd be cool to see Matoran as the main Heroes for a wave/year. So, 6 small Matoran sets and 6 larger villain sets. Basically, it'd be like the Chronicler's Company sets that we never got.

I like the idea, but the reason TLG chose to switch from the Matoran-focused stories of 01 to the Toa-focused stories of the later years because the Toa sold better than the small sets.Maybe if the Matoran/Protectors have powers this time around... but not otherwise.

They tried that in 2003 with the MOLtoran and Rahkshi, and sales that year fell to the point where cancellation was possible, so I don't see it happening again.

I very much like this information. Making a decent-looking Toa Metru build, or something similar, is much easier for me than a decent-looking 06-09-scale MOC.

I like the idea, but the reason TLG chose to switch from the Matoran-focused stories of 01 to the Toa-focused stories of the later years because the Toa sold better than the small sets.Maybe if the Matoran/Protectors have powers this time around... but not otherwise.

Technically, the main story was never meant to be Matoran-focused. Originally, the 2001 BIONICLE story media would have been balanced between the comics and PC game, which focused on the Toa, and the Game Boy Advance game and Mata Nui Online Game, which focused on the Matoran. When the PC game got cancelled, suddenly more than half of the 2001 story media was focused on the Matoran. So the shift to focusing on the Toa was not really a sign of a change in strategy. It was bringing the story media back in line with the focus the LEGO Group intended it to have in the first place.

If there was any turning point where the story media started to reduce its emphasis on the Matoran, it would be either 2003 (when the book series was introduced) or 2004 (when the online animations became less story-driven, and the movie and online games shifted their focus entirely onto the adventures of the Toa Metru). Notably, these two story years also featured the first instances of Matoran literally becoming Toa.

They tried that in 2003 with the MOLtoran and Rahkshi, and sales that year fell to the point where cancellation was possible, so I don't see it happening again.

What? No, that's not true at all. Sales in 2003 were outstanding, at least compared to all other LEGO themes. Here's a quote from Brick by Brick: "In 2003—the year the rest of LEGO came crashing down—Bionicle's soaring sales accounted for approximatedly 25 percent of the company's total revenue and more than 100 percent of its proft (as the rest of the company was tumbling to a net loss), making it a financial anchor in turbulent times." (p155)

If there was ANY reason that BIONICLE underperformed in 2003, it's that "LEGO had failed to deliver sufficient quantities of its two best-selling Bionicle products in the run-up to Christmas. At a time when LEGO had suffered the worst loss in its history, it had created robust demand for Bionicle and then couldn't fulfill it." (p106)

The rumors around that time that LEGO was going to cancel BIONICLE were completely false, and refuting those rumors is actually the reason Greg Farshtey joined BZPower and began acting more or less as a liaison to the fan community in the first place.

All things considered, BIONICLE was the one thing that stopped the LEGO Group from going bankrupt in 2003. The idea that it was a failure in any way, shape, or form is ludicrous.

Some people believe that LordSpider's (SkullKraata's) mask could be the Great Mask of arachnophobia.

Whythat Toa could not just step on little spider. They are scared.

Some people believe that LordSpider's (SkullKraata's) mask could be the Great Mask of arachnophobia.

:grin: I would love this. Make it happen lego.

"Little spider?" I'd like to see you try to step on a "little spider" that's bigger than your head. You don't need a mask of arachnophobia for a spider that size to be terrifying. :tongue:

"Little spider?" I'd like to see you try to step on a "little spider" that's bigger than your head. You don't need a mask of arachnophobia for a spider that size to be terrifying. :tongue:

The Toa have feet big enough to crush them. And the strength required too.

The Skull Spiders have blades for legs and sharp, pointy teeth! 'vv'

The Skull Spiders' bodies are slightly wider than the Toa foot. I probably have feet big enough and the strength to crush a spider whose body was slightly wider than my shoe, but if I saw one I wouldn't put any part of my body anywhere near that thing. Maybe I might if I was wearing a full, 100% sealed suit of armor or a hazmat suit of some kind, but seeing as this is a universe where EVERYBODY wears armor, I don't think that would even slow down most things in that universe that want to hurt you.

Plus, you can't ignore the possibility of bigger, badder creatures already controlled by the Skull Spiders subduing you so the spiders themselves can do their work. It's not like the infected Kanohi or Krana had to knock Lewa out and jump on his face on their own volition. But with infected Rahi and swarms of Bohrok at their command... well, then things aren't looking so good for Ol' Greeny.

Edited by Aanchir