Okay yeah, you definitely don't understand BIONICLE.

Or its fans for that matter.

Anyway, there is nothing we've seen that tells us the story won't have any depth or complexity. But complexity of storytelling doesn't mean it has to be hard to understand. It just means there's a lot to understand on many levels. Complexity in storytelling can come from things like your characters' motivations, their values, their relationships, their backgrounds, etcetera. Citizen Kane was a fairly deep and complex story but that wasn't because of how much weird fantasy jargon it invented (i.e. none).

Personally I was a fan of Metru Nui, Mahri Nui and Karda Nui most of all, with Mata Nui being one of the lower settings on my list, but I'm okay with a restart to the tribal feel. I'd like more sci-fi-ness later on but I'm just looking forward to things to come. I also really liked the convulted plot but I know I'm in the minority in that and thus I hope it's more streamlined.

Well, at least I know now I'm not completely insane. Karda Nui was my favourite era too.

Frankly, the BIONICLE theme's early years were some of it's most successful, so it's only natural the LEGO Group thinks of them as some of the ones with the most widespread and timeless appeal. That doesn't mean there aren't going to be any references to other years in the future of the revived BIONICLE theme, but complaining about them not showing up right away is like complaining about Picard and Worf not showing up in the recent Star Trek reboot.

Hmm, I never thought about it like that. I was just saying that them ditching the alien terminology (which I thought added to the mystical and mysterious vibe) didn't look good, and then suddenly the whole site is at war with me. Then again, I could have been wrong in everything I've assumed from the start because I'm basing most of my opinions off a document that could or could not be legit.

Guess I (and we) will just have to wait and see.

Need I point out that the document in question uses the word "Toa" repeatedly, one of the very terms you're complaining about losing?

Need I point out that the document in question uses the word "Toa" repeatedly, one of the very terms you're complaining about losing?

I'm going to redirect you to this comment on the Bionicle subreddit (not posted by me).

Edited by King of Nynrah

I'm going to redirect you to this comment on the Bionicle subreddit (not posted by me).

...you're basing your certainty that the term is gone for good on some guy on the internet playing the devil's advocate?

fine. i'll play your game. I bet Matoro won't ever be a character, and LEGO CEOs will take turns pissing on his grave.

Now that someone on the internet has said it, it's time for you to get super pissed off about it, right?

...you're basing your certainty that the term is gone for good on some guy on the internet playing the devil's advocate?

fine. i'll play your game. I bet Matoro won't ever be a character, and LEGO CEOs will take turns pissing on his grave.

Now that someone on the internet has said it, it's time for you to get super pissed off about it, right?

Huh? When did I get pissed off about anything in this topic? I was expressing my disappointment, not anger.

And I don't think Matoro will be returning either, so...

I seriously want more things to appear or to NYCC to come right now, not only for the reveal and excitement, but things are getting really wierd over here...

ANYWAYS

So...Okoto?, sounds wierd to me, (I know it sounds japanese, but it doesn't mean it can't be wierd...)

Edited by Xeros610

...did the point I was making fly over your head? Someone on the internet you don't even know presented a possibility, and you took it as fact. It's completely circular to say they changed Toa to Master so people won't get confused, but they use the word Toa instead of Master so people won't get confused. There goes their argument, like that.

^I think that was debated lots of pages back...but yeah...things are getting wierder...

it looks like I'm viewing a fight between you two, so, can we just go back to a topic less personal,(not like arguing how every single person has different interpretation of things)?

Edited by Xeros610

...did the point I was making fly over your head? Someone on the internet you don't even know presented a possibility, and you took it as fact. It's completely circular to say they changed Toa to Master so people won't get confused, but they use the word Toa instead of Master so people won't get confused. There goes their argument, like that.

I didn't take it as fact, I took it as a possible explanation. Bear in mind that this document is for store employees, not young children, so they would likely already be familiar with the basic Bionicle terminology.

And anyway, making something more accessible isn't the same as dumbing it down. The intelligence and sophistication of a franchise isn't measured by how confusing it is or how difficult it is to explain or how many words it can make up.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This thread is mostly an example of why I don't like the Bionicle community, not with how Lyichir said King of Nynrah is the "worst kind of Bionicle fan", but because Lyichir said that, for example. From my experience, anywhere else in the community people can have a difference of opinion and have people respect that, or at least civilly disagree with their ideas; not to jump on them and say they're wrong. King of Nynrah's opinion of this entire thing is different than the rest of you all's, but that doesn't make him wrong. As it stands right now, everything presented is a simple possibility. You can't say for certain whether anyone here is right or wrong because none of us can know for certain. So please if you could all at least start civilly disagreeing rather than clawing at each other like wild animals, it'd make this forum a lot more pleasant to read and for me (and others) to be able to follow what's going on with Bionicle 2015.

This thread is mostly an example of why I don't like the Bionicle community, not with how Lyichir said King of Nynrah is the "worst kind of Bionicle fan", but because Lyichir said that, for example. From my experience, anywhere else in the community people can have a difference of opinion and have people respect that, or at least civilly disagree with their ideas; not to jump on them and say they're wrong. King of Nynrah's opinion of this entire thing is different than the rest of you all's, but that doesn't make him wrong. As it stands right now, everything presented is a simple possibility. You can't say for certain whether anyone here is right or wrong because none of us can know for certain. So please if you could all at least start civilly disagreeing rather than clawing at each other like wild animals, it'd make this forum a lot more pleasant to read and for me (and others) to be able to follow what's going on with Bionicle 2015.

Thanks!

I didn't take it as fact, I took it as a possible explanation. Bear in mind that this document is for store employees, not young children, so they would likely already be familiar with the basic Bionicle terminology.

I thought this was an FAQ for employees talking to customers to refer to or something like that? Some of the questions/answers seem pretty strange for something only intended for employees.

Half the reason LOTR was written was so that Tolkien could show off the language he created. Does that make LOTR terrible too, then? :/

I'm not saying I agree with the comic or anything. I liked BIONICLE's terminology. I just have an xkcd-linking addiction, and in this case, thought it was relevant and perhaps would even make a point.

(Also, read the hover-over text, since you bring up Tolkien)

Edited by BFN

Half the reason LOTR was written was so that Tolkien could show off the language he created. Does that make LOTR terrible too, then? :/

For starters, the comic doesn't say a large amount of made up words automatically makes a book terrible, just that it lowers the probability of it being good.

The reason is, of course, accessibility, and also because making up a language isn't just something you do on a whim. Remember that Tolkien made a language because he studies language, and knows how language forms. He was applying what he knows about language to invent his own. Most people who make up words have no such experience, so when the bs words start to pile, it becomes obvious they're just making it up as they go.

(Coincidentally, this also applies to BZPower member Tolkien, who also applied what he knows about language to turn Matoran into an actual language, with excellent results.)

Edited by Grima

I'm not saying I agree with the comic or anything. I liked BIONICLE's terminology. I just have an xkcd-linking addiction, and in this case, thought it was relevant and perhaps would even make a point.

(Also, read the hover-over text, since you bring up Tolkien)

Oh, hahaha. Sorry, fast-paced discussion is fast.

I thought this was an FAQ for employees talking to customers to refer to or something like that? Some of the questions/answers seem pretty strange for something only intended for employees.

Well of course, there are gonna be old fans asking questions about the relaunch at stores too, so I think that document supplies the employees with answers to customers' questions (including the possible name-change of Toa to Masters)... could be wrong though.

Catching up on some of the older comments... KoN, out of curiosity, how would you have expected LEGO to include fans who got into the story all at different times? Like, how would you do it specifically? I mean, for those who just came in 2006, you'd have a way different Toa team than those who started out in 2001 or 2004, and way different plots. For 2008, some of the bit draws were the dark Makuta species (which would now have to utilize the gangster/tyrannical appeal of the Piraka) and the swamps/stalactites, which would probably be crowded next to the tropical island and futuristic (and also post-apocalyptic) metropolis. And then there's.... 2009.

I don't mean to make this confrontational, or even rhetorical. It's just that, as others have pointed out, each year was pretty diverse, so I'm just curious what you had in mind.

Lol what? The system community doesn't have these sort of arguments? I know you were in diapers when they switched greys, but the overall online community has always been full of arguments, angry disagreements, personal vendettas, etc. But thanks for playing, George. You tried to cast a holier than thou attitude but you're just being ignorant of the community's history.

Everyone just needs to take it easy here. I didn't think Eurobricks would allow space for hotheads!

Don't worry, the Hype Train has just derailed for a moment. It'll be back on track in a day or two.

Lol what? The system community doesn't have these sort of arguments? I know you were in diapers when they switched greys, but the overall online community has always been full of arguments, angry disagreements, personal vendettas, etc. But thanks for playing, George. You tried to cast a holier than thou attitude but you're just being ignorant of the community's history.

Take it easy!

I agree.

Anyways, how likely is that we will see the actual sets within those display cases and such at the NYCC? Hopefully we get at least Tahu and LOSS, so I can tell how big they're going to be. (TTV said LOSS should be a lot long than he appears to be on the box art, thanks to use of the HF chest armor on his butt.)

Edited by MonkeyChud