I haven't really paid much attention to the Defenders, but yeah. I meant the Toa. I couldn't stand those bulky projectile weapons toward the end of Bionicle's first run.

What I love about the stud shooters in the Defenders is that even if launchers like that work their way into more sets in the future, they're not bulky. They're everything the Cordak Blasters should have been, and I hope any subsequent launchers are just as compact and versatile.

Edited by Lyichir

The text screams a hard reboot but still doesn's confirm it. Oh well, there can always be a reason why they go to Otoko after 2010 (but it's damn unlikely).

Only 5 sets on summer feels very odd, almost like they believe Bionicle couldn't carry a second year... which would be stupid since much was invested to bring it back.

Other than that, I have to get some candles and prepare to worship great spirit Otoko and accept the fact that bonkleoverlords from Lego gave us a hard reboot.

I doubt Okoto will be the new name of the Great Spirit if they carry the concept over. Unless they're going to raise the Okoto Robot, I'd see no reason to change the Great Spirit's name.

Edited by Grima

The text screams a hard reboot but still doesn's confirm it. Oh well, there can always be a reason why they go to Otoko after 2010 (but it's damn unlikely).

Only 5 sets on summer feels very odd, almost like they believe Bionicle couldn't carry a second year... which would be stupid since much was invested to bring it back.

Other than that, I have to get some candles and prepare to worship great spirit Otoko and accept the fact that bonkleoverlords from Lego gave us a hard reboot.

well, we don't know much about bota magna, so it's possible it could be there. but like you said, extremely unlikely.

Although is there anything saying that okoto is another great spirit? It could be a generic island.

Edited by arc

Honestly, seeing a Japanese-influenced BIONICLE sounds like an awesome way to do things.

What I love about the stud shooters in the Defenders is that even if launchers like that work their way into more sets in the future, they're not bulky. They're everything the Cordak Blasters should have been, and I hope any subsequent launchers are just as compact and versatile.

The Cordak Blasters were okay, but only really worked on titan sets (and the Hahna crab because how was that not hilarious). I'm looking forward to these stud shooters.

I doubt Okoto will be the new name of the Great Spirit if they carry the concept over. Unless they're going to raise the Okoto Robot, I'd see no reason to change the Great Spirit's name.

It doesn't have to be an universe nor a robot, of course it might be not but it was more of a joke. Whatever the next big thing is will be fun to speculate but I do hope we don't find too soon. This time we know it has something to do with Otoko and will be given little hints. Back in the days we didn't know what they could even hint for. Ihu (nose) for example was pretty obvious and so were the two suns. But we didn't know they even were referring to something.

If there IS a next big thing. It seems like a big assumption that we'll have another mystery as big and well-hidden (up until the latter half of 2008) as the giant robot.

Fun fact: "Okoto" is the name of the giant boar in Princess Mononoke:

instead of a giant robot, it's now going to take place inside a giant boar

Edited by Jasonified

assuming this is real, I would assume that the 5 sets mentioned aren't going to be the entire summer wave. lego has been cutting numbers recently, but this would take it to a whole new level.

Also, Japanese sounding name is cool. Still not sold on the legitimacy of this for now though.

Okoto Nui has a interesting ring, though it seems like something out of a Japanese anime, which actually sounds pretty cool kind of like a more futuristic Metru Nui?

Odd that two people have added "Nui" to the name when the materials we have do no such thing.

Also, another interesting thing about this; in response to a question about where sets are produced, it says LEGO sets are produced " in Denmark, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Mexico". The omission of China from that list is interesting. That list clicks with what was listed on Bionicle packaging back when it was produced, but these days LEGO factories have spread to a few other countries. Mistake on LEGO's part, or a sign of fakery?

So who else is modding Pohatu so that the gear function is his legs? :U

That might work if you kept his shoulders the same width... but I'm not sure even then. It'd require some pretty serious modding either way, especially if you wanted to avoid having his legs behind his torso like his arms are (which could look mega-awkward).

That might work if you kept his shoulders the same width... but I'm not sure even then. It'd require some pretty serious modding either way, especially if you wanted to avoid having his legs behind his torso like his arms are (which could look mega-awkward).

Depends on the gearbox how many connection points it has, I guess. I'm hoping it's not TOO specialized, although it's obviously nice to see anything like that at all.

So who else is modding Pohatu so that the gear function is his legs? :U

Celestia dammit.

Now I've got the idea in my head, and now I gotta get Pohatu now rather than later...

Also, has anyone got Metru heads to work on CCBS bodies? If the new Hau is as horrible irl as it is in the pic, I'm gonna be forced to switch it with the old Hau, or perhaps a 3D-print... idk what I'll do yet because I haven't seen it. I'll reserve my thoughts till nycc.

Even then, metru heads on CCBS would be good because Omega Lewa would look really good with the Miru Nuva.

Metru heads would be difficult without lopping off the top balljoint. Mata heads are easier if you can find a visually appealing way to attack a y joint to them.

Metru heads on the new body would just need one of those dark grey double socket parts to connect the two sockets and some clever angling, really.

I don't think the hau is going to look that bad in real life. The gold mask is clearly squished in the new finalized leaks, and I think it'll be pretty nice in person.

I would guess maybe (if there are any) :tongue:

Ga-Okoto

Po-Okoto

Onu-Okoto

Le-Okoto

Ko-Okoto

Maybe it is a reboot?

Not necessarily, if it takes any hints from 2001 then the regions will not be directly names after the island. 2001 used Ko-Wahi, Ko-Koro, etc, as opposed to Ko-Mata.

And you forgot Ta. :wink:

We've seen literally nothing to suggest the new BIONICLE will be any less creative than it was originally. It's just an assumption people seem to want to make every time they notice a single difference from the old BIONICLE, no matter how insignificant it might be. It's childish and generic because the logo's too thick, or because it describes magic by actually using the word magic, or because they describe the work of evil forces as darkness, or because the set names are actually descriptive for a change, or because one of the terms sounds slightly more Japanese than Polynesian. Everybody's jumping to the same conclusion for the most pitiful reasons. I'm not saying the new BIONICLE will be no different than the old BIONICLE. But why don't we wait until we know something that actually matters before we pass judgment, instead of jumping to conclusions based on the most tenuous clues and assumptions?

If you're going to downright insult people, at least don't box them all into one category simply because it fits you best. Did I call it childish? No. Did I call it generic? Somewhat. For a long while I was under the impression BIONICLE was about robots fighting each other to awaken a giant robot, and that was the plot in a nutshell to me. Then I watched the movies again (I couldn't remember anything of them from when I had watched them prior) and discovered they all worshiped Mata Nui. Soon I discovered also that it was about astrology, etc. BIONICLE went downhill from there for me.

I never called the line childish for using magic, I have no problem with using magic in a plot. NINJAGO's used it twice now, but while both were major events in themselves they were relatively minor (it's been well established now that the Elemental Powers can be described as "magic", but are not in fact "magic"). My main problem was that I thought BIONICLE's previous plot had been about science, and good fighting evil. My second problem was not that it was magic, but that it was made from magic. Made of solid gold and quote unquote raw magic makes it sound nothing more than silly in my opinion, crafting a mask from solid gold and raw magic? If I were to exaggerate this I would liken it to Back to the Future and the joke of buying Uranium on every corner shop made by Doc Brown.

Ironically you yourself jumped to a gigantic conclusion yourself and an annoying end to your argument by boxing a bunch of people into one category. Did I jump to a conclusion in my argument? Yes and no. I didn't know that the original BIONICLE plot and me didn't mesh together very well. But leaving that aside, would I have had the same reaction had this been a new line? No. I would have down-right rejected it, in fact. Is it childish for magic? No. It's not incredibly generic because of the magic, and nevertheless despite its uniqueness I don't care for it more than I would Call of Duty MW3, or Iron Man 2. That's not to say the plot is bad. It's unexplored territory for me and they very well could bring me back in. The old plot (which we seem to slightly retreading, but it may be entirely different) has left a sour taste in my mouth.

But really though, be careful of grouping people like that. Had this been another forum I don't even want to think of the flaming you might get.

Anyway, back on-topic, after seeing the NINJAGO sets for this year BIONICLE has lost me almost entirely now. I'll only be picking up Pohatu/LOSS/Protectors, and only on the off-chance I find them cheap.

Why does everyone flip out over the term "raw magic"? Do you object to the term "raw materials"? All it means is magic in a pure, unprocessed form, like a natural resource

I don't see how that's any more ridiculous than carving masks out of magical disks.

Yes, they weren't described as magical. But can you think of any other way to describe what they do?

Edited by Grima

If you're going to downright insult people, at least don't box them all into one category simply because it fits you best. Did I call it childish? No. Did I call it generic? Somewhat. For a long while I was under the impression BIONICLE was about robots fighting each other to awaken a giant robot, and that was the plot in a nutshell to me. Then I watched the movies again (I couldn't remember anything of them from when I had watched them prior) and discovered they all worshiped Mata Nui. Soon I discovered also that it was about astrology, etc. BIONICLE went downhill from there for me.

I never called the line childish for using magic, I have no problem with using magic in a plot. NINJAGO's used it twice now, but while both were major events in themselves they were relatively minor (it's been well established now that the Elemental Powers can be described as "magic", but are not in fact "magic"). My main problem was that I thought BIONICLE's previous plot had been about science, and good fighting evil. My second problem was not that it was magic, but that it was made from magic. Made of solid gold and quote unquote raw magic makes it sound nothing more than silly in my opinion, crafting a mask from solid gold and raw magic? If I were to exaggerate this I would liken it to Back to the Future and the joke of buying Uranium on every corner shop made by Doc Brown.

Ironically you yourself jumped to a gigantic conclusion yourself and an annoying end to your argument by boxing a bunch of people into one category. Did I jump to a conclusion in my argument? Yes and no. I didn't know that the original BIONICLE plot and me didn't mesh together very well. But leaving that aside, would I have had the same reaction had this been a new line? No. I would have down-right rejected it, in fact. Is it childish for magic? No. It's not incredibly generic because of the magic, and nevertheless despite its uniqueness I don't care for it more than I would Call of Duty MW3, or Iron Man 2. That's not to say the plot is bad. It's unexplored territory for me and they very well could bring me back in. The old plot (which we seem to slightly retreading, but it may be entirely different) has left a sour taste in my mouth.

But really though, be careful of grouping people like that. Had this been another forum I don't even want to think of the flaming you might get.

Anyway, back on-topic, after seeing the NINJAGO sets for this year BIONICLE has lost me almost entirely now. I'll only be picking up Pohatu/LOSS/Protectors, and only on the off-chance I find them cheap.

That post I made... wasn't even directed at you. And when I mentioned people calling the theme childish for using terms like "raw magic" I was referring to comments I'd seen on other sites, not to yours. I'm sorry if you got confused and thought I was stereotyping/attacking you. =/

Edited by Aanchir