Someone posted this on the Facebook Page: https://www.youtube....JN4XHLqU��10/10

Anyone worried about the social media reactions to the announcement as a possible predictor of the sales and success of BIONICLE 2.0? I'm seeing lots of positive reactions from returning fans for their favorite theme, but constraction sets are not really what LEGO is known for now with most of their popular media (ie LEGO Movie) not showing constraction at all. I think the newer fans of LEGO (who aren't the ones cheering on LEGO for a 4 day lead-up to this) are going to be the biggest obstacle in whether or not this reboot can survive as long as the original did.

Edited by InfurnallDragon

I know this is rather off-topic but I'd just like to thank those of you who have very cleverly designed some compact gear function backpacks and posted them on this thread. I'm in the process of using the different designs to give functions to my Chima Ultrabuilds who just seem (for what exact reason I don't know) like they need functions. Thanks again! :sweet:

Back on topic, I don't mind if the masks are flippy-up ones, although I see where some of you are coming from when you say that the MOCing potential will be lowered. The 'o' mouths aren't too bad either. The 'o' mouth seems to suit Kopaka's helmet design nicely as he has a fair amount of circular thingies on his right hand side of his helmet.

Even if the name BIONICLE has no significance towards the younger 'newer' audience, they should see them as 'cool action figures' and buy them anyways. The added functions of the sets will help too I think- it makes them a lot more exciting.

The packaging will fulfill its role well too to make them stand out on the shelves- a dude lava surfboarding is pretty cool and striking in comparison to some of the CITY box arts, so I think that there should be no problem with the theme becoming popular with the new young audience.

Also parents could be useful in promoting the sets to their children. If their child had an older brother/sister who was into Bionicle for years then the name might have stuck in the parent's brain and when they see them in store they might think of the substantial size and the fun their older child had with the original Bionicle and then buy the new ones for their younger child, thus drawing the younger childs attention to it. Or something like that.

Edited by Mutant Orc

I'm sorry to go off topic, but I was wondering: if I pre-order the new sets at Lego.com, will I get them earlier than if I went to Toys R Us?

Hey you all BIONICLE Gen 1 fans!

I predict that this theme (new to newcomers) will be LEGO's biggest theme launch (like NinjaGo in 2011 and Legends of Chima in 2013) :wink:

Who agrees with me?

I predict that this theme (new to newcomers) will be LEGO's biggest theme launch (like NinjaGo in 2011 and Legends of Chima in 2013) :wink:

Who agrees with me?

Well I think it's on par with NinjaGo but Chima is going to wear off soon. If NinjaGo returned why are they even keeping Chima? Those themes "cannibalize" each other.

Who agrees with me?

Well if they are really unveiling it at NYCC, maybe they will truly go all out with it like the Old Days. Web games, movies, collectables... I'd bet they are going to do an exciting animated short at ComicCon. Maybe a certain Master of Water & Protector of Stone thing.

A crowd gathers before the BIONICLE panel... the lights dim! An announcer begins describing a tribal world inhabited by mechanical beings with a few of them possessing elemental powers. The projector brightens to reveal a new trailer, fully animated, with a battle between Toa, Defenders, and Spiders!

The kind of suspensful atmosphere I cant experience so Ill have to wait on an offcial recording of the event. Or a sneaky fan...

Edited by InfurnallDragon

Someone posted this on the Facebook Page: https://www.youtube....JN4XHLqU��10/10

Has anyone ever tried making a group project for a fan-made Bionicle MMOG? That level of graphics isn't a very hard level to match with today's freeware, and you probably wouldn't have the LEGO lawyers to worry about as much as you would for a LU remake...

Heck, I could probably make a pretty good Po-Koro, textures and all.

Anyone else like the idea?

Who agrees with me?

I think you very well might be on to something. There are no other rumored themes for the first half of next year that seem like "big bang" material, with the exception of Elves, and that theme only has six sets announced rather than thirteen. So we might very well be seeing a big promotional push for the BIONICLE theme in 2015.

Anyone worried about the social media reactions to the announcement as a possible predictor of the sales and success of BIONICLE 2.0? I'm seeing lots of positive reactions from returning fans for their favorite theme, but constraction sets are not really what LEGO is known for now with most of their popular media (ie LEGO Movie) not showing constraction at all. I think the newer fans of LEGO (who aren't the ones cheering on LEGO for a 4 day lead-up to this) are going to be the biggest obstacle in whether or not this reboot can survive as long as the original did.

Greg did mention that there would be a lot more attention paid to social media, although it's hard for that to necessarily be an indicator of sales. However, if sales projections jive with their idea of word-of-mouth and enthusiasm, then things should work out pretty well.

(I should make a BS01 twitter... ew)

I'm sorry to go off topic, but I was wondering: if I pre-order the new sets at Lego.com, will I get them earlier than if I went to Toys R Us?

Depends; LEGO typically sets the street date as January 1st (for constraction, although that's up for debate this year given Hero Factory's experiment), and assuming that they'll still do that, then Toys R Us occasionally breaks street dates so you could theoretically find them earlier. However, this isn't a constant, and it's not every TRU that does (over the ten-ish years of BIONICLE, my local TRU varied wildly with this). That said, TRU also generally sells sets at a markup, so there's that to consider.

So it is the Mask of Creation. Fascinating. I wonder if the fact that Artahka had such a mask in the original story is relevant, or if it would have been so yclept regardless. It would be amusing if an element from the supplemental materials (Bionicle World and the serials, I think) influenced the new story. I'm not against it doing so, but given the criticisms often leveled at Bionicle's story, it would be unexpected.

It will be a pity if the masks attach by clips alone, but que cera cera. I'll take what I can get, which, from what I've seen of the leaked set images, is more than I would have hoped for.

As for Greg's limited involvement in the story, how is it that different than before? Aside from convincing LEGO to extend Bionicle beyond one year (if TVTropes is to be believed,) he was only ever one out of several persons on a story council, which itself merely determined how the overarching story of Faber et al. played out. Yes, he was the head writer, but that's not the same thing as shaping the direction of the story or building the bulk of its fictional world. The main difference will be that of writing style and quality, given that Bionicle's story will probably be primarily told through a television show, and Greg isn't a scriptwriter (as far as I know.) Sadly, given the precedents of Ninjago and Chima, I'm none too hopeful for the quality of the story material. Though who knows, perhaps we'll get lucky, perhaps the alien nature of Bionicle will attract some genuinely talented writers. If only they'd get Robert Shearman on board. But then, what are the odds of that? HINT: Not very likely.

Wasn't there rumours about writers of Terminator working on Hero Factory movie at some point? I wonder if it has something to do with Bionicle now.

I'm at the caboose of the Hype Train...

Oh my!

The mask looks absolutely amazing. The wait is going to be legendary for 2015!

It is very rare and practically unheard of getting pre-orders on items on Lego.com (there are rare exceptions, last one to come to mind was the UCS Millennium Falcon).

Lego wouldn't probably start shipping the sets until the street date. In other words, if the Bionicle street date is January 1st (this is hypothetical, mind you), Lego will start shipping orders from the Lego Shop website that day (they won't arrive that day). Toys R Us will undoubtedly have them on the shelves, and available for purchase at least two weeks beforehand (usually it's a whole month before). Lego Brand Stores will follow suit. There may be some smaller stores that will break the street date as well.

I've always considered ordering from the online Lego Shop as my last resort for making purchases, since I have plenty of stores that stock Lego nearby.

Edited by Penkid11

Wasn't there rumours about writers of Terminator working on Hero Factory movie at some point? I wonder if it has something to do with Bionicle now.

Never went into production (and this was years ago) so the writers have more than likely moved on to other projects. Whatever BIONICLE movie we get (if we get one) would probably be unrelated.

Depends; LEGO typically sets the street date as January 1st (for constraction, although that's up for debate this year given Hero Factory's experiment)

I'm pretty sure this year's delayed street dates was because of the Lego Movie; I think they wanted to prevent sales from the Lego Movie sets cannibalizing sales of other lines, so they delayed some releases.

Edited by Grima

So, with the MoC...

Will this be a reboot that features old story elements, a direct continuation, or a soft reboot type thing?

Nobody knows, but I predict a timeskip of some sort... so a soft reboot?

well, her old blue is pretty much the same one all the blue HF sets used. It's entirely a matter of opinion. I've not seen her new form in person, but I'm quite looking forward to the azure.

We gotta find a better abbreviation than MoC... it's clever, I'll grant you, but also realllllly confusing.

MoCr?

I love Gali's azure ,but I'm not sure about the titanium metallic yet.

Where are people seeing azure? I'm seeing blue.

Is Gali's 2001-2002 blue much better than 2015's Gali's azure look?

Well, that's pretty subjective, but I do personally prefer it for a Toa of Water. I've grown rather attached to Mata Blue for lightning characters ever since Surge.

Where are people seeing azure? I'm seeing blue.

Her color is dark azure, a shade darker than the Azure seen in Thornraxx and the IFB beasts. It's a very clear comparison when looking at the Gali image next to the LDD color palette.

Edited by Mesonak