Great work GK!

If that's how the toa end up being built, my fears about the size of the backpack and the look of the exposed balljoints are well and truly eased, That torso looks great.

I don't think he would be allowed to talk about upcoming stuff, even if it were about something officially confirmed by Lego.

(assuming he's involved at all, or involved in the same capacity)

Edited by Dorek

LewiMOC, that looks amazing! By the way, are you using the wider or the narrower torso skeleton piece? I'm not a big fan of how those ball joints jut out at the shoulders, more so than they do (seemingly, could be the angle) on the prelims.

Firstly, that ain't my design! Scroll back a bit through the thread, and you'll see that it's by the lovely GK377. Secondly, yes, I used the narrower torso. Thank got the big chest-plate covers up the default shoulder balls from the front...

Here's a gearbox using knob gears based on how I see Lewa's design :

lewage19.png

lewage21.png

I'll try to build it tonight, or tomorrow, I hope it's not too fragile.

So that is true reason the new Toa use the Superhero chest..that is a nice torso design, easy to mod. That adresses the shoulders height issue, but the head problem is still there. Now I'm 99% sure we're getting a new head.

it's 2 in the afternoon in Denmark and still no announcement. Sadly, my private hype train is slowing down

It was probably too fast to begin with. I keep checking regularly, too, but keep in mind that the previous two teasers weren't posted before around 17:00 CET + 1. Be patient.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

Looking at the times of the "4" and "2" days posts, I would expect them to post the reveal in about two and a half hours. That said, TLG has their own timeframe that we cannot guess at with authority.

For now, we will watch and wait.

That's the point I was making, though. Star Wars has that presence that allows it to get away with a large number of made up terms that doesn't affect its accessibility. Bionicle, on the other hand, not being as widely known, has its accessibility hurt the more made-up (well, I guess fictional is a better term, considering they didn't make up the word) words it has. It makes more sense to use a word people understand.

There's some sense in that view, but (as I said earlier in this topic) it still seems dumb to drop one of the few fictional words that was used almost continuously across the franchise and so is at least vaguely/nearly recognisable.

And I think you'll find the accessibility issue was largely due to too many characters and plots, and a media/storytelling approach that didn't make it easy enough to learn established story.

There's no proof that they've dropped the name Toa. The word wasn't included on this team's canisters until the Phantoka. It could easily still exist in story. I hope so, as master is incredibly generic, and suggests a level of experience some future toa may not have.

I'm perfectly fine with them being called "masters" in the packaging and maybe even in commercials for accessibility but please call them Toa in the story.

-Gata signoff.png

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Torchbearer/LewaConcept/dscf1239.jpg

All credit for the design goes to Leewan. This gearbox works incredibly well, the friction created between the pinions allows for even two arms to be held up at the same time. Unfortunately, my pictures of it with two arms look terrible (I don't have a lot of Constraction sets with technic, give me a break lol)

I couldn't find my "bone extender" part (the one that allows for placing armor on the back that isn't a foot), so I couldn't display a rough version of it. Simply put a black pin through and attach it onto the lower body. Not perfect, but this is only rough ideas.

EDIT: Oh yikes that's a big image. Could an Admin resize it if this is too large?4

EDIT 2: Added that back armour, side shot:

dscf1242.jpg

So yeah, not too protruding at all! Instead of the part I said I would use I deferred to a blue half axel/pin and used a ball cup on the end. The torso keeps it in place, works perfectly well. :sweet:

Edited by VBBN
Please keep images under 800x600

What if they only gain the title of Toa when they gain their golden masks or something?

That's a very interesting thought!

-Gata signoff.png

I love how everyone's just posting images of gearboxes.

Not that I mind. Some of these ideas are great.

Personally, I want one of three things: 1) only have one arm swing, 2) have two knobs that independently swing the arms, or 3) tight enough gears to where the function can be ignored.

Combination of two and three would be best. In the end, I just don't want the arms to swing together Toa Metru style.

I love how everyone's just posting images of gearboxes.

Not that I mind. Some of these ideas are great.

Personally, I want one of three things: 1) only have one arm swing, 2) have two knobs that independently swing the arms, or 3) tight enough gears to where the function can be ignored.

Combination of two and three would be best. In the end, I just don't want the arms to swing together Toa Metru style.

Onua has two separate Knob gears, so I would say he has that function. Let's hope the big reveal answers all (which it obviously won't, if anything it'll be the logo or an HD image of Tahu and Lewa, nothing too special)

Edited by JayWalker

Onua is why I'm hoping they all have two knobs, but I understand that wider shoulders: more room for gears.

The one Leewan posted seems closest since I can see two gears on top of each other in the armpit region of Lewa. And since you, JayWalker, say it provides enough friction, I feel this is the best design.

And here's my concept of one way I think Pohatu's torso might be built (though I expect the real thing uses some new pieces). Unlike Lewa, his shoulders do not appear to be raised. I honestly don't know whether the gear that drives the shoulders should go in front of or behind the shoulder gears, but it doesn't entirely matter for Pohatu's function — it just affects which direction you turn the gear to raise or lower each arm.

ccbs_gear_function_doodles.png

LXF Download

Edited by Aanchir

Onua is why I'm hoping they all have two knobs, but I understand that wider shoulders: more room for gears.

The one Leewan posted seems closest since I can see two gears on top of each other in the armpit region of Lewa. And since you, JayWalker, say it provides enough friction, I feel this is the best design.

The only problem is that the top is insecure, not exactly unexpected given the axles are held in place by technic beams (which in turn are secured by a separate axle). I wish I could design stuff as well as you guys do...

The only problem is that the top is insecure, not exactly unexpected given the axles are held in place by technic beams (which in turn are secured by a separate axle). I wish I could design stuff as well as you guys do...

For some reason I have a hunch there'll be at least one new piece in the gearbox assembly, which would fix any insecurities in the design.

For some reason I have a hunch there'll be at least one new piece in the gearbox assembly, which would fix any insecurities in the design.

No, I think that's agiven at this point. There may be no new parts (in which case, GG LEGO), but there's going to be a few mind-boggling techniques at the very least.