e9oajTk.png?2

Yeah, it seems to be impossible with the current pieces to make something steady in the back, but I do managed to get the gears closer to the back still maintaining the functionality.

...or there might be a bug with the gears...

Edited by GK733

Agreed. "We build heroes" is possibly one of the most flawed concepts ever released as a toy slogan. Now, if it was "We build sentient robots that choose of their own digital free will to be heroes*," no issue. But when you tell kids that heroes are just another thing off an assembly line...that's just wrong, no matter which way you look at it.

*I get that that's too long for advertising.

Not just too long, but misses the point. "We build heroes" is more than a slogan, it's a mission statement. Hero Factory doesn't just build Heroes and send them off to work independently—they equip them, train them, and teach them how to be the heroes they were designed to be. In other words, the Heroes aren't fully "built" the moment they come off the assembly line (yes, I know they're not built on an assembly line—it's a figure of speech), but rather, they're molded into heroes through training and experience. In that sense, the slogan isn't too far off from the kind of slogan you might see in real-world military recruitment, where the goal is to take average citizens and train them to be soldiers for a common cause.

I doubt that we will see all of the characters, definitely not in multiple poses. The only things I expect:

1) Reboot or Continuation Confirmation

2) New Logo

3) MAYBE one photo of all of the characters together, or just that photo from the display stand, but finalized.

In other words, don't expect too much.

I didn't mean multiple poses--I meant different poses from what we have now in the preliminary shots. And as I said, I'm not expecting anything like that (I'm only expecting confirmation of the return and a picture of Tahu)--it would just be nice.

Personally, I don't think that I expect confirmation of reboot vs continuation--or any story information. Again, that's something it would be nice to have, but I don't expect it.

Edited by Mariko

Good thing it's not white, then; as I've said before, that's silver, without a doubt. It even looks silver on the blurry display stand picture. If it's white, I'll eat my hat.

Yeah... if it's white I will eat your hat.

Yeah, it seems to be impossible with the current pieces to make something steady in the back, but I do managed to get the gears closer to the back still maintaining the functionality.

I like that mockup, GK.

Not just too long, but misses the point. "We build heroes" is more than a slogan, it's a mission statement. Hero Factory doesn't just build Heroes and send them off to work independently—they equip them, train them, and teach them how to be the heroes they were designed to be. In other words, the Heroes aren't fully "built" the moment they come off the assembly line (yes, I know they're not built on an assembly line—it's a figure of speech), but rather, they're molded into heroes through training and experience. In that sense, the slogan isn't too far off from the kind of slogan you might see in real-world military recruitment, where the goal is to take average citizens and train them to be soldiers for a common cause.

I'm not saying that you aren't making a good point there, but when kids hear it superimposed over a video of characters being assembled, I really doubt that six year olds are going to read all of that into it...

Yeah... if it's white I will eat your hat.

I like that mockup, GK.

Same. Nice work!

I think it is the same. It looks very similar to the old one, at the very least. It could be a placeholder........just like I said about the silver on Pohatu, and the yellow on Gali. :wacko:

Oh no! It's a bit rude!! :cry_happy:

I think it is the same. It looks very similar to the old one, at the very least. It could be a placeholder........just like I said about the silver on Pohatu, and the yellow on Gali. :wacko:

I actually really like the yellow on gali. But pohatu with silver... not so much.

It's not the silver that bothers me as much as the trans-yellow. I actually thought it was cool, until somebody way upthread pointed out that the combination of solid brown and transparent yellow doesn't look quite right.

I like to look at it like this: If you have to replace all the trans-yellow CCBS bones with opaque parts, then that nets you a bunch of trans-yellow pieces to MOC with without needing to disassemble Pohatu.

e9oajTk.png?2

Oh damn, that's a much more elegant way of doing it! I don't think those gears driving the shoulders will catch in that build either... Might be worth testing it IRL. Would you mind sharing a .LXF file, or a parts list for that gearbox of yours?

And regarding the silver/white on Pohatu... I kinda like it? If he's going to be fast like he was in his '01 form, I think being a silver streak'a lightnin' might help that!

Edited by LewiMOC

I still think adding functions is an incredibly dumb thing that will only hurt the characters' aesthetics. But that build does look pretty good and easy to mod. I just wanted modernized Toa Mata, dammit!

It's actually pretty much full of Genwunners. Half the discussion there is about nostalgia (read: 01-era) stuff, and the other half how cancerous and toxic a certain other online Bionicle community is (not EB).

Back on topic though, one day to go until the big reveal! Anyone got any idea what time of day they usually make big announcements?

I had actually subbed there, but when I saw LewiMOC downvoted to oblivion for defending the CCBS in a peaceful, reasonable manner..

I'll chime in on the discussion from slightly earlier to say the Ignition Trilogy is my favorite sequence from BIONICLE (sets AND story).

But that's just me

It's either 2001, 2006 or 2007 for me.

the silver on Pohatu, and the yellow on Gali. :wacko:

all the sets have yellow on them. for some reason, it's Lego's go-to colour for denoting an area of a set that has a function. All the gear systems, including the defenders' small ones, have yellow in them somewhere. The yellow on Gali's weapon suggests it probably spins or something.

But yeah, the silver on Pohatu is a shame. Vorox made me hungry for tan back in 09, and that hunger has yet to be satisfied.

Edited by Timeline15

Oh damn, that's a much more elegant way of doing it! I don't think those gears driving the shoulders will catch in that build either... Might be worth testing it IRL. Would you mind sharing a .LXF file, or a parts list for that gearbox of yours?

And regarding the silver/white on Pohatu... I kinda like it? If he's going to be fast like he was in his '01 form, I think being a silver streak'a lightnin' might help that!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7mfkzpc48jvd8v0/gearbox_tahu.lxf here you go.

I still think adding functions is an incredibly dumb thing that will only hurt the characters' aesthetics. But that build does look pretty good and easy to mod. I just wanted modernized Toa Mata, dammit!

Agreed; I would prefer if the figures focused on looking aesthetically pleasing rather than trying to incorporate functions into their design, HOWEVER...

...I can't exactly hold Lego at fault for attempting to do this. It's a bold move, and will surely win over many people to the new BIONICLE considering the community's love for gear functions. If they want to take risks, I'm more than happy to let them, even if it means dealing with some exposed ball joints here and there. :P

I disagree. 2005 was the year everything started getting extremely dark. There was betrayal all 'round, all of the matoran of Metru Nui were captured, the Toa were mutated and fighting giant spiders.

What about the second half of 2003, with Ta-Koro being destroyed, Tahu going mad and turning on his teammates, and Jaller dying (albeit only temporarily?)

Speaking of Jaller dying, I think 2004 deserves a mention in the "when Bionicle got dark" debate.

There was Lhikan dying (Really dying unlike Jaller the previous year) , Nidhiki, Krekka, and Nivawk getting eaten by Teridax, the Toa Metru being wrongfully accused of Lhikan's kidnapping and hunted by their government, and Krekka and Nidhiki repeatedly threatening Matoran with death.

The existence of death =/= dark, unless you want to say every children's show that ever covered the loss of a loved one is dark and gritty.