There's a lot of good ideas coming out of this thread, really.

The idea of having a Toa team of the other elements that want the year's plot macguffin for their own reasons, which clashes with the Toa Mata would be awesome. We've had "Anti-Toa" before with the Piraka, but that always felt a little weak because Toa can absorb their own element. Using the other elements would work perfectly for that.

Also, King Vultraz. It must be MOCed.

I think there are a few things less finalized in that image than people are thinking (but more than others are hoping). I'm pretty certain the colour schemes are probably here to stay (though I don't think Pohatu is tan nor do I think Gali is dark metallic). I expect some weapon changes, though more colour-based than anything. Though I'm not sure Tahu will end up using the scimitar swords. Mostly I just think people are misjudging some colours.

I think Tahu will definitely be dual-wielding, and the weapons will probably be pearl gold, but whether they're the HF scimitars or a new blade piece that's suitably oversized (I can remember in Bionicle classic, all of the swords, even the dual-wielding ones, were BFSes) remains to be seen.

I really hope we see another underwater era, like 2007. Of course, I'm not hoping for Barraki or Mahri (though that would be cool, it's extremely unlikely).. I'd just like some underwater themed sets.

Yeah me too, I really liked the barraki. I would like to see some new underwater themed sets too though.

So some people have wondered if the Products Page Mask is gonna be the Mask of Creation.

One side says that it must be, since the MoC is the only Legendary Mask we haven't gotten yet. Others argue that it probably won't, since a. the inevitable direction of a reboot would make BIONICLE 1.0 designs irrelevant, and b. the power over Creation seems to be much too powerful to use in BIONICLE 2.0's first wave.

Personally, whether or not the mask is gonna be the MoC or not, I believe that using it as the first-wave MacGuffin is totally possible. Creation is incredibly powerful. The ability to bring things into and out of existence is too much power for the Toa to handle on their first new mission, right?

But what if that's the point? LEGO is all about putting things together and taking them apart again, and that forms the core of many of their stories: The LEGO Movie says it's in everyone's nature; Mixels use Cubits to combine and create; Hero Factory is about building our heroes. Hero Factory was the first constraction theme to actively use the Building aspect, and that brought the action figures closer to the LEGO spirit.

What I'm saying is that what if BIO 2.0 connects itself more strongly to the LEGO brand itself? What if its story won't just be about heroism and adventure, but also creativity and imagination? The Mask of Creation, then, would be the perfect MacGuffin to use in the first year!

TL;DR: If that thing is the Mask of Creation it would make sense.

Edited by Ikkad555

I don't think the power of creation is too great for the theme's first wave, necessarily — especially since in the event of a reboot, the powers of such a mask could be defined or limited in whatever manner the writers choose. Even though it wasn't used in the story, the Mask of Time and some of its limitations were defined as early as 2001.

And I agree, creation is definitely a powerful theme for any LEGO theme to work with. Even Ninjago, which has very little emphasis on building within its storytelling, introduced the most powerful Spinjitzu technique as the "Tornado of Creation" in its very first year. So the Mask of Creation would be a good fit for one of the new BIONICLE's most powerful artifacts on a thematic level.

But I do think that people who assume that the mask HAS to be something of the same power level as the Mask of Life or the Mask of Time are jumping to conclusions. Whether it's a reboot or a continuation, the new BIONICLE will effectively be a fresh start, so there's no reason the first special mask in the theme needs to have the power to destroy the universe like the Mask of Life did. There are a lot of people who are assuming that if the new mask ISN'T the Mask of Creation, it has to be something else as powerful or more so than the Mask of Life and Mask of Time, and I find that patently ridiculous.

I think that the masks got out of hand; it should've stopped at Mask of Life. Adding too many powerful relics in one universe makes it become.....weird. And really, the story can get along fine without them.

Making every wave a power-struggle over a new mask will get boring. I just want this to be the Mask of LIGHT, not even Life. Light made sense: a seventh Toa, he represents good, he gets a mask of light. But then a Life mask overshadows that one, and a mask of Creation overshadows that one, and before you know it, there is only one, all-powerful mask. So why didn't they go after that one?

I don't think the power of creation is too great for the theme's first wave, necessarily — especially since in the event of a reboot, the powers of such a mask could be defined or limited in whatever manner the writers choose. Even though it wasn't used in the story, the Mask of Time and some of its limitations were defined as early as 2001.

And I agree, creation is definitely a powerful theme for any LEGO theme to work with. Even Ninjago, which has very little emphasis on building within its storytelling, introduced the most powerful Spinjitzu technique as the "Tornado of Creation" in its very first year. So the Mask of Creation would be a good fit for one of the new BIONICLE's most powerful artifacts on a thematic level.

But I do think that people who assume that the mask HAS to be something of the same power level as the Mask of Life or the Mask of Time are jumping to conclusions. Whether it's a reboot or a continuation, the new BIONICLE will effectively be a fresh start, so there's no reason the first special mask in the theme needs to have the power to destroy the universe like the Mask of Life did. There are a lot of people who are assuming that if the new mask ISN'T the Mask of Creation, it has to be something else as powerful or more so than the Mask of Life and Mask of Time, and I find that patently ridiculous.

I agree with you, and I hope too that the new BIONICLE will effectively be a fresh start, and I'm happy that the sets are going to be true! :tongue:

I think that the masks got out of hand; it should've stopped at Mask of Life. Adding too many powerful relics in one universe makes it become.....weird. And really, the story can get along fine without them.

Too many? There are only three Legendaries, the masks of Creation, Life, and Time. Though arguably parts of BIONICLE's story could have been written without their inclusion, I never found any of the Legendary Kanohi completely unnecessary. The Vahi gave us the needed setup for the marvelous book Time Trap, and the Mask of Creation is never used as a MacGuffin, being spoken of only in relation to Artakha, and having so little impact that I fail to see how it clutters the story or makes it needlessly weird.

I am also confused why you say the Legendaries should have stopped at the Ignika, when the Vahi was introduced before the other two Legendary Kanohi.

Making every wave a power-struggle over a new mask will get boring.

It would indeed be dull if, starting in 2015, we were treated with an endless string of Kanohi MacGuffins, but a single Kanohi MacGuffin to start off BIONICLE 2.0 with wouldn't be bad, if it were sufficiently different from BIONICLE 1.0's Ignika MacGuffin. Even then, the idea that there will be a Kanohi MacGuffin in 2015 is pure speculation. This mysterious mask for 2015 could be something as useless and low-power as the Copper Kanohi that Matoran got for winning Kohli games.

I just want this to be the Mask of LIGHT, not even Life. Light made sense: a seventh Toa, he represents good, he gets a mask of light. But then a Life mask overshadows that one, and a mask of Creation overshadows that one, and before you know it, there is only one, all-powerful mask. So why didn't they go after that one?

I am confused that you think the Mask of Light cheapened by the inclusion of the Legendaries, going by some vague concept of power levels. Different Kanohi are for different jobs, so it hardly seems unreasonable that the Mask of Light would be used to fight a being of Shadow, even if technically weaker than the Legendaries.

Indeed, the very fact that the Legendaries are so powerful makes them near-useless in direct combat. Breaking them wreaks havoc on the force that they embody, and using them is difficult and sometimes disastrous, if not completely fatal. The only Legendary constantly worn in the Mask of Creation, and that's worn by a being equally legendary and powerful.

Looking at it this way, it makes perfect sense that the Toa wouldn't "Go after that one" if its location is unknown, its use is incredibly difficult and unfitting for the situation, and there is a far better alternative already on-hand.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I think there are a few things less finalized in that image than people are thinking (but more than others are hoping). I'm pretty certain the colour schemes are probably here to stay (though I don't think Pohatu is tan nor do I think Gali is dark metallic). I expect some weapon changes, though more colour-based than anything. Though I'm not sure Tahu will end up using the scimitar swords. Mostly I just think people are misjudging some colours.

I would actually suspect that the color schemes could very easily change between now and the actual reveal. By this point in the sets' development (or rather, the point at which the preliminary art was created, a while ago), they've probably decided what sort of molds they'll introduce for each character and what most characters' builds will be like. But color schemes are something that can be changed very easily if, for instance, focus group testing shows that kids responded better to a slightly different color scheme.

I don't expect ANYTHING to change too dramatically... but stranger things have happened.

The fact that the image is a prototype wasn't the only reason I think speculating on it is a waste of time, its also because its not a very good quality image. Its grainy and blurry, so what we're actually looking at is a bit of a mystery. What ever it is they decide to do, its more parts for us in our Boxes of HF, or its more Sets on a shelf.

Though this brings up an interesting dilemma I'll have with my sorting...do the new parts go in the bionicle drawer, or the HF one? :O

The fact that the image is a prototype wasn't the only reason I think speculating on it is a waste of time, its also because its not a very good quality image. Its grainy and blurry, so what we're actually looking at is a bit of a mystery. What ever it is they decide to do, its more parts for us in our Boxes of HF, or its more Sets on a shelf.

Though this brings up an interesting dilemma I'll have with my sorting...do the new parts go in the bionicle drawer, or the HF one? :O

They go in the Bionicle 2.0 drawer.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Even though some things are very clear, and CCBS is such a basic building system that it's easy to differentiate between bones and shells. I see no problem speculating on it. Sure, some things may change, but I think that's what's great about it: I see transparent parts in the pictures. Will they stay? I sure hope so.

Also, the parts go in both. Recolored HF parts go with Hf. Masks and things go in Bionicle.

Why is it called BIONICLE 2.0?

I like calling it Bionicle Reborn; or (this may be stealing, but it is fitting): Bionicle: The Legend Reborn!!

But on the current topic, I say that the parts go in the......shelf. Because Bionicle never deserves to be parted out.

Apparently a new leak has happened, check the TTV podcast website if you want to see those.

Oh huh, would have never guessed that the LOSS's legs were made up of technic. I hope that means a function as the rest of the sets imply.

Oh man.

The Earth Protector has a Gatling Gun chest.

Also, yeah they're preliminary, but worth mentioning: Mask of Life on the top corner.

Wow! These look awesome! Just how I hoped the sets would look! :thumbup:

I love the new add on piece, and Kopaka's mask is awesome!