I would want Matoran who haven't gotten sets. Tamaru, Taipu, and Kupura especially.

In terms of the random Matoran sets, it sounds like a great idea. Plus, CCBS would allow for easy customization so it's not just the masks that are different. They could even throw in an extra weapon or two to add more variety.

Aanchir, you're a genius. That idea is the perfect mix of reintroducing "mask packs", allowing more females in the story (since all the Matoran packs would be generic), making something that should be an impulse buy probably fly off the shelves, AND making a lot of money for Lego.

I sincerely hope that your theory is correct, as if it were I'd have to buy several dozen of these Matoran then, just to easily populate my own tiny village.

I wouldn't call it a "theory" so much as a "wish"; we don't even know if these "Defenders" are Matoran (or even if that term would be used at all going forward). I'd love to see mask packs return in some form or another, but a lot of their prior collectability had to do with how sets were designed around knocking them off, specifically; as soon as that was off the table, when you stopped seeing those kinds of functions, masks evolved into their current axle-based incarnation (which had impressive staying power in its own right, 2006's weird experiment notwithstanding). Unless there's a specific functional use for the masks, I doubt it would see much of a set emphasis on them beyond the usual.

That is, of course, assuming there hasn't been some kind of shift in how masks/helmets are looked at; we didn't have any at all this year in Hero Factory, so perhaps there's some new kind of system in mind? Seems a shame not to revisit the all-purpose head we got in 2013...

I'd love for mask packs to return, however I doubt they will. As for heads, I hope we get a new one. While the head introduced with the Brain Attack sets is a very useful piece I would much prefer a solid coloured head with a transparent eye piece, like the Metru or original Toa head - I just assosciate them more with Bionicle characters and think that they look a lot better when seen through a mask. In my opinion they really emphasise that it's a character with a face wearing a mask.

solid coloured head with a transparent eye piece

A billion and one times this.

The random masks would be interesting, but I think that the defenders are new Matoran characters with non-finalized names. The Toa probably have names at this early stage because they are based on existing characters.

I agree with Rocketbilly 100%. The Hero Factory head is great with all the connection points, but I've always thought it looked quite lacking compared to the Toa/Metru head when you put a mask on it. Not to mention the Toa would completely lack of facial features if they took their mask off, which would be quite strange.

Edited by Sir Walter Maugham

If they go with the route of "face behind the mask" again, I just hope they don't do circle mouths again. Just didn't fit.

I wonder if they'll promote the new Bionicle line by having buildable matoran released in select fast food chains like they did with the original Tohunga. O.o

Not to mention the Toa would completely lack of facial features if they took their mask off, which would be quite strange.

2006's weird experiment

Mhmm

I would want Matoran who haven't gotten sets. Tamaru, Taipu, and Kupura especially.

In terms of the random Matoran sets, it sounds like a great idea. Plus, CCBS would allow for easy customization so it's not just the masks that are different. They could even throw in an extra weapon or two to add more variety.

I've wanted a Tamaru set for so long.

I'd think chances are pretty good that a lot of characters will be used again as Lego already paid for the names. Unless, do they eventually lose the trademarks?

Edited by Toa Lahka

Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that if LEGO wants to make the official reveal at a big media event like Comic-Con, they're also going to be at New York Comic Con later in the year. So there's no reason they'd have to make the announcement this early. Given how much other stuff the LEGO Group is going to be promoting at SDCC, a BIONICLE announcement might be more than we can reasonably hope for. It's not entirely out of the question, though.

There's already quite a few themes with set unveilings planned. However, that doesn't mean that they can't include a brand NEW theme (or rather, old one put on hiatus) on the convention floor as an extra treat for fans. Like Aanchir said, we might have to wait until New York later this year, as to be closer to release. However, Mixels was announced last year at SDCC, and it didn't reach stores until March of this year. I for one am curious to see whether LEGO will go ahead for a San Diego Comic-Con reveal for this BIONICLE revival/reboot/whatever we think we are getting. Anything is possible, and we just need to keep our eyes peeled...

Welp, Comic-Con is in a few hours. Based off what I've read, I don't think that there is gonna be a reveal :cry_sad:

If there is no reveal, it isn't a big deal. August is leak season after all :devil:

As someone who knows very little about Comic Con, when would a Bionicle reveal be likely to happen?

As someone who knows very little about Comic Con, when would a Bionicle reveal be likely to happen?

Probably near the end of the convention, I'd say. It seems like the kind of thing they'd save until last, if it does happen at all.

Guys, there's one really important thing no one has pointed yet.

With BIONICLE (possibly) returning next year, the situation surrounding it will be MUCH different than in 2001.

In that year LEGO had no other line with a story backing it up, and the company was having a very bad time, thus making BIONICLE an almost necessary attempt to give new life to the danish toy giant.

Today, 2014, LEGO is living a new golden age, and lines like Ninjago and Chima make tons of money while providing an acceptable story inspired by natural elements, in a similar fashion to the one BIONICLE had in its early years.

My concern is, will BIONICLE have enough room to shine? What I fear is that, even though part of different LEGO sub-themes, Ninjago and Chima won't let BIONICLE succeed, since for today's kids they talk about similar things and, moreover, they're more familiar with ninjas and lions these days than robots and masks.

So many lines, so similar topics :look:

Guys, there's one really important thing no one has pointed yet.

With BIONICLE (possibly) returning next year, the situation surrounding it will be MUCH different than in 2001.

In that year LEGO had no other line with a story backing it up, and the company was having a very bad time, thus making BIONICLE an almost necessary attempt to give new life to the danish toy giant.

Today, 2014, LEGO is living a new golden age, and lines like Ninjago and Chima make tons of money while providing an acceptable story inspired by natural elements, in a similar fashion to the one BIONICLE had in its early years.

My concern is, will BIONICLE have enough room to shine? What I fear is that, even though part of different LEGO sub-themes, Ninjago and Chima won't let BIONICLE succeed, since for today's kids they talk about similar things and, moreover, they're more familiar with ninjas and lions these days than robots and masks.

In my opinion, the best way to solve this problem would be to market Bionicle to a more mature crowd. I'm not sure if LEGO would ever do this, as it might ruin their reputation, and I'm not suggesting they go overboard with 'dark themes', but subtle differences could help them market it to the teenage crowd, as opposed to the child crowd, which it was aimed at before. Who knows, this could be LEGO trying to expand its audience?

In my opinion, the best way to solve this problem would be to market Bionicle to a more mature crowd. I'm not sure if LEGO would ever do this, as it might ruin their reputation, and I'm not suggesting they go overboard with 'dark themes', but subtle differences could help them market it to the teenage crowd, as opposed to the child crowd, which it was aimed at before. Who knows, this could be LEGO trying to expand its audience?

I don't think there's anywhere near as much money in trying to market a line of colorful buildable action figures to adults and older teens as there is in marketing the same sort of product to kids and younger teens.

But personally, I don't think BIONICLE is so similar to Ninjago or Chima that it would have a hard time standing out. The stories have some slight similarities, sure, chiefly their emphasis on ancient legends and heroes with magical elemental powers. But the products themselves and the universes they inhabit are markedly different.

Honestly, I'd almost be more worried about it standing out too much. The LEGO Group has had plenty of success with franchises based on the LEGO brick and LEGO minifigure lately. So a theme of robotic-looking beings that, to a lay audience, "hardly look like LEGO", might be a slightly harder sell to TV networks and other media entities than a new minifigure-based theme could be.

Chima is supposed to have a three years run, which means 2015 will be its last year. Unless, like ninjago, the theme gets so successful Lego decides to keep it going, but I don't think so. We'll probably have a final wave in January, just like ninjago's last wave in January 2013 (before they decide to keep the theme going in 2014), which will give room to Bionicle to shine.

In my opinion, the best way to solve this problem would be to market Bionicle to a more mature crowd.

Greg F said that if Bionicle were indeed to come back, it would be mainly aimed to 8-11 years kids.

Please tell me Greg isn't being brought back in.

He very well might still be involved, since he's one of the LEGO Group's top in-house writers for books and comics. That doesn't mean that he'll be a member of the story team though.

I think a lot of people's hatred for Greg Farshtey as a writer is misaimed. He's not one of the greatest writers of our time by any means, but he's versatile, as demonstrated by his work on the Ninjago and Chima books. Just because he lacks the planning skills to carry an epic fantasy story like BIONICLE all by himself doesn't mean he can't write a decent licensed chapter book, comic, short story, or graphic novel.

Edited by Aanchir

I guess I'm alright with him writing comics I'll never read.

As long as he keeps his greasy mits out of the setting we should avoid any more nonsense like Voya Nui and the stupid rock chord thingy.

I guess I'm alright with him writing comics I'll never read.

As long as he keeps his greasy mits out of the setting we should avoid any more nonsense like Voya Nui and the stupid rock chord thingy.

Oh yeah, it took me years to find out how Voya Nui, Mahri Nui and Karda Nui all fit together :P