piterx

I'm so disappointed (with available parts selection)

I'm so disappointed with the pieces we have....

We can build everything as long as it's HUGE but when you wanna do something with good performances you have to stay under a certain weight...

This means that you have to make a small model, and there's no way you can make something small with AWD and double wishbones for front suspension....

i just hate that... :\

We can build everything as long as it's HUGE but when you wanna do something with good performances you have to stay under a certain weight...

This means that you have to make a small model, and there's no way you can make something small with AWD and double wishbones for front suspension....

Define small? I am actually thinking about a little car that also has to meet this criteria (AWD and front suspension, though mine doesn't have to be with wishbones) and now I am wondering if I am not thinking small enough or setting myself up for mission impossible :laugh:

well small would be something like this

it's such a pity i always need to use live axles....

i want small stuff to have AWD with wishbones...

6.jpg

Not to be controversial, but why don't you move on from lego if your priority is performance? It is always a compromise, even more-so for an AFOL and will never compare to an a more bespoke system, of which I'm sure there are plenty to choose from.

I kind of understand piterx's concerns. The parts from Lego for making a driven and steered setup are only suited for bigger models. A lot could be optimized, for example if the CV joints would only require 1L axle and not 1.5. The available hubs also are quite large, resulting in unrealistic kingpin offset and wider vehicles. I'm working on a small supercar right now (more about this very soon) and see my build quite limited by this.

But the Lego technic taget audience is 8-16 year olds, not AFOLs so of course there will be a limited part range

Limitations and challenges what makes a hobby interesting for me. Limits, or no limits at all, which is not really possible using a given system. If you don't like the Lego systems limitations, build real machines with "real" materials, do RC or do sculpting or whatever else. Or design awesome Lego models, which are just that, awesome Lego models. You seem like a capable person for that, don't shit with performance. Toys are much cooler than remote crap :laugh:

I agree with Lipko, I just try to build good toys. Even in real life the perfect performance is imposible and so much expensive. All of us have the same limits and problems with the same tool, that´s why I like the Lego.

Ive already made a fairly small steer+drive+suspention unit, depending on what wheels you choose it can be fairly small.

I'm using it in my modded 42029. However I hate the diff as it wobbles and the UV crack.

New parts do come out though.

Edited by SNIPE

LEGO is not the hobby you're looking for then

The selection of specialty Technic parts is much wider now that at any point in history. In the beginning they just put holes in regular bricks and added plates and axles and that was about it. Now we seem to have parts for almost everything. If you are still not satisfied with the selection I think you will continue to be disappointed.

I don't see any reason you need specialized control arms to make independent suspension. The first independent suspension was made from bricks. Seems perfectly possible to scale this idea to small models. Fundamentally the system is still based on the unit of the stud, so there is only so small you can go without a totally different system.

8865rearsuspsmall.jpg

I've also updated the topic title to be a little more descriptive so people will have a better idea if they want to read the topic.

While it's a nice setup (that I like to use a lot), I don't think you can scale this down with steering and a dif that the op is looking for

I think I've seen a small vehicle with wishbone suspension and drive in front, but it had no differential. Also, if you're disappointed, get in touch with Efferman, and he could design you some new parts so that you are able to do what you want. with the advent of Shapeways, making new parts is easier than ever.

You can 3D print your own custom parts or machine them out of a block of plastic.

You're an outstanding 3D modelling, just design your own parts! :)

Also have a look at 8437, I'm not sure how that works, but maybe you could combine that idea with new studless to get a compact 4wd wishbone happening.

8437_Future_Car.jpg

Maybe you van use something like this, it is mcpherson though and the ground clearance isn't optimal.

Small independent suspension with drive, caster angle and differential

Edited by Nico van Duin

i see what you're saying...but our models can have some cool performances even if it's just a toy...

you know, improving stuff is the thing that keeps my interest in legos alive

i made tiny live axles, tiny models with good performances such as the fiat panda... but unfortunately it's not possible making that setup i want :\

i'd love to rebuild the Polaris in a 56wheels scale and power it up with an RC motor....it would be amazing if only it was possible :\

drop the awd drive and just power the rear wheels ? if its good enough for the latest dakar racers its good enough for that suzuki!!

model looks great by the way, oh and the old saying... let limitations drive innovation :)

While I understand to a point comments like Lego is not for you or move on from Lego, there is some narrow minded thinking there.

Even if small scale is not one of my concerns I understand piterx frustation. If Technic is what it is today is because designers wanted to overcome limitations and designed new parts, even whole systems. Also there is a perpetual request for new parts, remakes of older models like 8455 and 8880 and new designs in these forums, so he is not alone.

Anyways any new parts that solve any Technic problem make Technic richer and open the doors to new designs. So don't quit Lego, keep asking for more parts :thumbup:

i don't get why some of you guys wouldn't like having short u joints and small differentials just like the one efferman designed...

why making something enormous when you can do the same thing in a smaller and more challenging scale...wich usually results in better performances and funnier model as well :D?

we have those new wheels from this year sets wich are just in the perfect scale to build almost everything...

i wanna build FWD and AWD cars without using live axles wich are only good for offroaders :P

Yes, we would like having those, and I am more than happy that I don't have to custom-build differentials and I can focus on cooler functions. But somehow I do miss the old style, which meant unrealistic looking models, but those old models were somehow much more dirty and badass than the current shiny lifelike plastic toys we have. For me, 8865 still beats all official supercars in terms of looks. Yup, with it's sticking-out wheels. It's just a bad madafaka. I'm thinking about building a completely manual old-style MOC with wheels and studs sticking out everywhere.

Having new part every year is good, but I'm glad they don't come more frequently ang quantities. For me it's much more disappointing to see so many cool models and my own models become obsolete/outdated even while in WIP state just because another part comes out that solves a problem instantly. For me, Lego design is a form of art, and there's so much beauty and possibilities and new-things-to-see into it even if the evolution of the system would be slower.

Sorry, I can't express myself properly even in my native language, I hope the message gets through for some.

Edited by Lipko

I'd say give it few more years and I'm pretty sure there will be something better. Like few years ago we didnt have 3L U joints, sliding CVs, ball joints, hard springs, usefull hubs, massive wheels, etc...

yeah lipko i know what you mean!

im an hardcore builder as well...i love having problems....but actually i love having problems that can be solved :D

there's no way, anyone here, will make a short front double wishbone axle with drive...

we have wishbones, we have links all we need is a hub and a short u joint :P

try imagining something like this for a second...im pretty sure we won't see so many live axles anymore around xD

sn2ikp.jpg

Edited by piterx

lipko Old school Technic is like playing Commodore games, yeah, those were amazing... back then, when we did not know anything better. My favorite set is still 8860 but when the time to build comes I simply want more, because now I know better.

I prefer Old School being an option, not the only option, so yeah, bring the new parts.