Sign in to follow this  
sweetsha

[REVIEW] Legend of Chima | 70221 : Flinx's Ultimate Phoenix

Hi everyone,

I'm am not a big buyer of Chima sets, but a few one are instant buy for me and let me review one of these.

The new wave is already for sale in some stores here in France - and this is the one that caught my eye.

Reference : 70221 : Flinx's Ultimate Phoenix

Theme : Legend of Chima

Year: 2015

Parts : 172

Price : 19,99€

The box

Classic "Fire VS Ice" pattern, and the back of the box shows various playability aspects of the set.

15886387188_e7f1be699e.jpg16071896061_cc049b4dfd.jpg

Parts / Instruction

One small instruction manual, two bags of pieces - nothing unusual so far.

15888057407_67f0ac84c4.jpg

But speaking of pieces, the inventory of this set is pretty good - we have some new parts (or at least new to me) and new re-colored ones :

15887733179_6fb233940d.jpg

- the big wings / flame pieces that are new and pretty good looking

- spear end / head pieces

- plate with handle on both ends

- beak part in trans-orange

- the "A" piece in reddish brown

- printed pieces for the eyes (yeah no stickers)

- bionicle paw (new to me but maybe not new for experts ^^)

I also noticed that we have new shape for the 1x1 with clip - left side the new ones and right side the old ones :

16071890451_0a98817275.jpg

Minifigures

Voom Voom : What a funny name ^^ He looks good and still a little frozen with its iced-leg.

Not an exclusive minifig, he's here equipped with a scythe and trans-blue armor :

16048011456_7bc2725528.jpg

Front/back details - no dual-head for him :

15887755569_4f2acde570.jpg

He also can equip some kind of jet-pack, strange choice for a flying creature but whatever ^^

15886537720_424b1fd01e.jpg

Flinx : Smallest member of its tribe, he has now adult wings (compared the previous version with only tiny fire feathers).

He's equipped with a big spear and pearl gold armor :

15886384418_b511b534cd.jpg

Front/back details - he has a dual head : warrior or happy face.

16071916771_25bc0fdf17.jpg

The Phoenix

Main build for this set, we have a pretty majestic result.

There is a small place for Flinx, and can be used in different modes. First the flying one :

15886539150_599e5b2807_z.jpg

Where we can spread its wings ("fire chi power mode" according to the box) :

16071892781_e89c7470eb_z.jpg

And of course it can stand on its legs for a gorgeous result :

16048014236_c381dc21b3_z.jpg

(and of course the famous flick-missiles are still there ^^)

Spare parts

15886383608_03f2d07268_n.jpg

Nothing crazy

Conclusion

Classic 20€ set with a big vehicle/creature for one side with an opponent on a tiny jet-pack but this is enough for instant play.

With articulated legs/wings/tail it can take various poses and is - as said before - pretty majestic.

Two nice and detailed minifigures and some interesting parts, what else can we ask ? :classic:

And a last picture to conclude :

15886539530_6e5efbc28b_c.jpg

Thanks for the review! Though I won't be picking this one up, 70221 is not a bad set by any means. It's interesting to see the new clip mold too. Hopefully this means I won't injure myself trying to remove pieces from the clips anymore. :blush:

Hey, this looks way better than I thought! And unlike the other sets, it looks like a real living animal, like a Legend Beast of sorts.

The "Bionicle paw" is from 2014 actually, but the red colour is new and unique to this set. :classic:

Is the new large fire blade piece used on its wings made of hard plastic or that rubbery material they sometimes use? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your comments :)

Is the new large fire blade piece used on its wings made of hard plastic or that rubbery material they sometimes use? Thanks in advance.

I would say hard plastic, it is slightly bendy but still pretty solid. Not like this kind of piece if it is what you're asking :

11089.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the new 1x1 clip piece. I understand it uses less plastic but... aesthetics, man.

This is a really beautiful set, this one caught my eye the second these images were first leaked months ago.And the articulation and everything is fantastic!

This set is suppose to represent the giant phoenix form Flinx turns into in the last episode,and not just a separate animal,or a vehicle.

I think in the TV show the vultures can't fly with their wings due to them being frozen for so long

No,they can fly,but not too well.Episode 35,The King Thing and Episode 29,The Call of Cavora.The vultures fly away from their jets after they blow them up

ZDPcDQ7.png

It's funny how too adorable this looks.

I gotta say, usually I find Chima sets too "overdesigned", but this one doesn't look too bad. Either way, I think all the minifigs always look spectacular.