Robert8

Best and worst of 2014

Best Set 2014: Exo suit or Lonely Mountain

Worst Set 2014: Ender Dragon- who thought a mess of sand bricks would be a good idea for a set, let alone an overpriced one?

Best Minifigure 2014: Snake charmer, or sheriff, or Dain, or Hun Warrior, or Benny, or Green Classic Spacemen. Yeah, it was a good year for minifigures.

Worst Minifigure 2014: Minecraft creeper- what use is a creeper whose legs can't move?

Best Theme: Mixels

Worst Theme: TMNT or Hero Factory

Excitement for 2015: Speed champions, and back to good Ninjago with snakes. Gotta love the snakes.

Best set - Parisian Restaurant

Worst set - The instruction manual for the Sea Cow - It's now in bits!

Best theme - Movie

Worst theme - Simpsons

Best mini fig - Lord Evil

Worst mini fig - Simpsons

Excited about - Detective's agency, adding a portaloo to my collection of trucks,

Least favorite theme: Fusion (The Town Master barely worked, and was a pain to play)

Worst Theme: Minecraft, Fusion, and TMNT.

Interesting to see fusion coming on several occasions as the worst theme. I am wondering what was up with these sets as I could remember only seeing the press release, but have not seen any sets physically nor do they appear on the lego UK site. Reviews seem to have been made by non lego sites and all have in common the fact that it did not work. Looking at bricklink, it seems no inventory has even been made.

I am wondering if they disappeared as fast as they came and that by keeping it quiet Lego admitted they failed on that one.

Best Set 2014: Parisian Restaurant. Lovely interior and exterior!

Worst Set 2014: Minecraft theme sets. Just look like a pathetic pile of plain bricks to be, but then what do I know? (Someone must love them somewhere.)

Best Minifigure 2014: UniKitty from Cloud Cuckoo Palace and other LEGO Movie sets in pink, green and blue. Just too cute!

Worst Minifigure 2014: The Simpsons. Never been a fan of that show, and the figs don't blend into City, Creator, Modular or Town builds.

Best set: Out of the ones I have, 75055 Imperial Star Destroyer or 75059 Sandcrawler. Both are amazing sets.

Worst Set: Simpsons and Minecraft Ender Dragon set

Best Minifigure: The B-Wing Pilot. It's very nicely detailed.

Worst Minifigure: Simpsons

Excitement for 2015: Slave 1, T-16 Skyhopper, Battle Droid Carrier, and all of the DC sets

Best 2014 Set: The LEGO Movie series and Minifigures Series 12

Worst 2014 Set: Juniors Castle Playset.

Best 2014 Minifigure: Wyldstyle

Worst 2014 Minifigure: Mrs. Claus from the Santa's Workshop set. It only one highly detailed skirt, but the rest are just repeatable parts and the Fairytale Princess from Series 12.

Best 2014 Theme: The LEGO Movie theme

Worst 2014 Theme: Either the Simpsons or TMNT Movie version

Sorry to bump this thread, I thought I should wait until the year was over for an objective analysis!

Best set – The Research Institute. Very reasonably priced, nonviolent, and probably the most education oriented set I've ever seen outside of schools-only lines. Its tiny but detailed 6 x 6 vignettes are probably the best example I have seen in modern Lego of a 'less is more' philosophy. Parts have been sourced from across the range, from CHIMA to Friends. The minifigures also make great use of existing parts. Only one torso is new, but the other two are so appropriate (e.g. the palaeontologist's fossil pendant) that it's hard to believe that they are pre-existing designs! The only downsides are its limited release and its 10+ age rating – it could be built by younger children. Both of these factors meant that the sets were mainly snapped up by adult fans. I still believe that Lego is first and foremost for children under 12. Honorable mention: Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! This one set brought me out of a 14 year dark age. It recaptures the look of early Lego space products, but is more complex and detailed. It even includes hidden features, like a reactor.

Worse set – Ariel's magic kiss. We live in a time of controversy regarding the overuse of pink in girls toys. Why, then, does this set includes a pink dress and a pink boat, both of which were very different and more subdued colours in the scene the set recreates!?

Best minifigure – Benny, the 1980-something space guy, effectively my namesake. Having lived through the death of the old space line, I never imagined that TLG would release a replica of the 30-year-old space product. He recaptures the more innocent feel of classic Lego .Except, he is not an exact replica, but a deliberate representation of a worn figure. Lego fans young and old can now unashamedly play with their worn figures alongside him. Honourable mention: Bad Cop/Good Cop. In TLM, his head spinning provided some of the film's most hilarious moments. He wears a retro-looking uniform, including a brand-new old-style police helmet reminiscent of the classic CHiPs motorcycle cop look. The CMF version of him also includes Lego's best smart phone yet.

Worst minifigure – the sick man in the Fairground Mixer. His face, his horrible face! Should I ever acquire him, I could use him with the smiling face. The second face, however, is, quite literally, a sick joke!

Best theme – the AWESOME Lego Movie. Very much an extension of the movie itself and its philosophy, the tie-in sets have been cross thematic, breaking any taboo against mixing Lego products from different themes together. Generic figures are given names, just as I used to name mine. The figures can add character to almost any Lego scene, whether it's within the right theme or not! The 2 in 1 sets are particular highlights for me. Although I have only assembled those sets in civilian form, their 2 in 1 nature leads to interesting additional features and the imaginative use of more generic parts, making for a more satisfying build than typical CITY models. The days of Town Jr are truly over, except... Honorable mention: Juniors: Yes, I did live through the darkest days of Town Jr, going off Lego for 14 years as a result. This Juniors line, however, corrects the mistakes of the 90s. The models, while simplified, are far more realistic than the Town Jr line. They are also lower priced than their more complex equivalents. Juniors does not directly replace any play theme. Instead, it too is cross thematic. Four-year-olds have a variety in taste, and Juniors provides small lead-in models to many themes.

Worst theme – this is hard, as I do not buy into every theme and I am reluctant to be critical in public. As a general rule, every theme is awesome! For the worst new theme, I am inclined to go with Disney Princesses. This is actually only a minor, recently created subtheme in Disney merchandise, and very rarely tells the full story. For instance, you get Jasmin without Aladdin or the genie, and none of the villains. This range is ultimately a series of individual toys/collectors items rather than the comprehensive system of play Lego is known for.

Excitement the 2015 – oddly for someone who has so far not bought into any licensed themes (apart from TLM) the products I am most anticipating this year are from licensed themes. They are: Speed Champions (Real supercars for minifigures, and a good racing scene) and Jurassic World.

Edited by Bornin1980something

Best set: Parisian Restaurant tied with Santa's Workshop. I loved both too much to choose.

Worst set: Spider Trike vs. Electro - I had 5 different students rebuild it and none of us really liked it.

Best Theme: Lego Movie. Everything is Awesome!

Worst Theme: Minecraft

Best Minifigure: Galadriel with sparkly cape, with white arms, light bluish grey gloves and my niece's face and hair to be the Castlewood Princess! Perfect sigfig!

Worst Minifigure: Simpsons ... all of them

Hopes for 2015: new minifigs to covet, Elsa's Castle, The Porsche, and the 2015 Winter Village Set that I know nothing about yet.

Bit late to the party, but based on what I own or have owned of 2014's range:

Best set: Tied between Exo-Suit and Mini Cooper. I really enjoyed building both and both have prominent spaces on my shelves.

Worst set: Hard to say, but in the end I'd pick Lavertus' Twin Blade. I love Chima as a theme and the minifigs are quite good, but the vehicle is just so ugly, thin and gappy it actually prompted me to write my first negative review on S@H about it. Though honourable mention goes to Spider-not-a-Trike vs Electro, which probably would have got it if only I had owned it!

Best theme: Mixels. Closely followed by Hero Factory, I actually liked it's fresh approach with the mechs and beasts.

Worst theme: Hard to say, but based on themes I've bought a set from, I'll say Minecraft. It's just overpriced for what it is.

Best Minifigure: Tied between General Grievous (white version) and Sir Fangar.

Worst Minifigure: Luke Skywalker, Tatooine. Good example of how too much unnecessary detail can ruin an otherwise good figure. Closely followed by Minecraft minifigs.

I'll add something to this: by far the best moulded creature of the year for me (as they're a big part of my collection) - Smaug. Big, detailed, imposing and very poseable.

Most excited for in 2015: Speed Champions, Jurassic World and Bionicle.

Best Set 2014: Parisian Restaurant. Lovely interior and exterior!

Worst Set 2014: Minecraft theme sets. Just look like a pathetic pile of plain bricks to be, but then what do I know? (Someone must love them somewhere.)

Best Minifigure 2014: UniKitty from Cloud Cuckoo Palace and other LEGO Movie sets in pink, green and blue. Just too cute!

Worst Minifigure 2014: The Simpsons. Never been a fan of that show, and the figs don't blend into City, Creator, Modular or Town builds.

In fairness, Milhouse fits in the Lego Movie sets.

Best set 2014: Metalbeard's Sea Cow, though Ghostbusters Ecto-1 is not far behind

Worst set 2014: From themes I collect Spiderman trike was pretty disappointing

Best minifigure 2014: the UCS Tumbler Joker, Darth Revan and the Bith are cool too

Worst minifigure: Hero Factory "figs"

Best theme: The LEGO Movie - this is what LEGO should be all about

Worst theme: Hero factory - useless - or Friends - never liked the minidolls and the theme is using a lot of moulds and colors limitations which can't be used in other themes!!!

Excitment for 2015: 2nd half to be honest ...

Best set: MARVEL X-men vs. Sentinel

Worst set: 21117: The Ender Dragon

Um, last time I checked Dragons were large, scary and ferocious, not deformed versions of Barney the Dinosaurs.

Best Minifigure: Toss up between Storm from X-men and Unikitty, and if Unikitty doesn't count, then CMF series 12 Dinotracker

Worst Minifigure: Steve the Square-head guy and Leatherhead from TMNT. Should've been brick-built... and NOT like Groot...

Best new theme: Mixels or Ultra Agents

Worst new theme: Minecraft and The simpsons (but emphasis on Minecraft)

Excited about for 2015: MOAR NEW PARTS TO BUILD MOCS WITH!!! ^_^