jncraton

Review: 21022 Lincoln Memorial

I was lucky enough to get an early copy of the new Lincoln Memorial set from the LEGO CEE team in advance of its launch in January, so I though I'd put together a quick review of it. This is my first review, and my first post, so I'd appreciate any constructive criticism that you have for me.

box.jpg

Build

step01.jpg

step02.jpg

step03.jpg

step04.jpg

step05.jpg

step06.jpg

step07.jpg

step08.jpg

step09.jpg

step10.jpg

Parts

parts.jpg

The most unique part in this set has to be the bar 3L (87994) in white. There are 46 of them included, and the only other set to use this part was the Maersk Line Triple-E (10241) with only six of them included. This is a great part to add detail to models and is a wonderful addition to my collection.

bar3l.jpg

There are also more 1x1 round plates with open stud (85861) in this set than in any other. This part isn't particularly rare at this point, but it is very useful. However, 86 of them seems like more that I really know what to do with.

85861.jpg

There's a reasonable assortment of common white plates, bricks and tiles as well as a few 2x2 corner panels (91501) which aren't super rare, but still nice to have if you don't have any yet.

There are also a few 2x4 and 1x6 tiles in olive green, which is a color I personally really enjoy, so I'm always happy to have more of those.

Final Model

The final model does a nice job of capturing the essense of the real life structure. Here's a comparison between the two for comparison.

real_memorial.jpg

final_model.jpg

The roof of the model can be removed to get a better view on Lincoln inside:

roof_removed.jpg

Overall, this is a nice little Architecture set. There's not anything particularly special about this set, but it looks great and if you have enjoyed the other smaller Architecture sets, this will be a good one to add to your collection. Thanks to the CEE team for providing me with this set.

This review is copied from my blog.

I maybe wrong, but I do not think an architecture set has ever been such a great part pack. This is incredible. It also looks quite nice.

Thanks for the review.

I would love it if they'd have included Lincoln's chair and a white version of CMF Lincoln for a "close up" add on to the set. I guess that's not how these architecture sets roll, so oh well. Great review otherwise.

Ah, No. That's most definitely nothing like how these Architecture sets roll.

Thanks for the review. Obviously this will go well with my other 21 Architecture sets.

Edited by rollermonkey

I have all the Arch sets like RollerMonkey but I have to say this is the first set I am thinking about skipping...it is just so small and I am thinking what's the point of doing a micro/mini Lincoln Memorial?

Don't get me wrong, your review is good and I appreciate seeing it, so it's really me. I don't get the point of the set being that little and the set just seems to have a box that is 10 x the size of the build for no reason. The highlight of this set might be the accompanying booklet/set of instructions.

Here is what I would add: Highlight the booklet a bit more, maybe show some of the pages. Also, if you know this info, include piece count, cost and some particulars...I know you got this free so you might not have all that info.

I just think the Arch designers did the least possible designing on this one and mailed it in for what...$20 or $30? Very disappointed in TLG on this one.

This architecture set does just what the building calls for, to my taste. Any larger would have been overkill since there really isn't much going on with this building to begin with. This feels like a really good souvenir set.

As a parts pack, this set is insane. For anybody wanting open-stud 1x1s or white beams, well, now they've got them. The only parts rival would be the UN for anybody seeking 1x2 trans-light-blue plates.

I think you just backed up my point, this set is basically better as a parts pack than the actual set it was intended to be, especially since there is not much going on with it as you say. If this is the offerings we are going to get, then why do the line? I would rather have a bigger building that is more meaningful, sure they are coming out with Flatiron, but that is not really meaningful, it's an office building in the shape of a triangle. I guess I long to hearken back to the FLW buildings or get something in there that is a big enough build that looks great at a decent price.

Do you hearken back even further to the beginnings of the Architecture line, as in, the tall square towers? This line has always been a mix between small impressionistic souvenir-type builds and large detailed ones. I personally would not want a large $100 model of a building that's just a rectangle with columns. I fail to see how making this set larger would make it any more meaningful.

I also have all of them. And I'm dissapointed they did this as a set. It doesn't highlight an architectural marvel of the world. It's essentially a box. But with that said. Personally isn't the worst set. I still dislike the leaning tower of Pisa the most.

But well done on the review. Always nice to see a set early.

Edited by Steve309

Agreed. I have more complaint about the choice of building than the choice of scale on this one. There is nothing remotely architecturally important about the Lincoln Memorial, so the smaller and cheaper, the better. What we need, is a replacement for the retired Robie House.

Then again, there is nothing architecturally significant about Trevi, either. At least Flatiron is kind of visually interesting.

Edited by rollermonkey

I'll get this, only because I have the rest of the collection and am a completist. But it has to be the most boring Lego set I've ever seen in any range, it is embarrassingly bad and the tiny size just adds to this.

Boring, dull, uninspiring, not worth looking at - with all the great architecture in the world to do why this?!

I like it. I haven't really been into the arch series, but this impressed me. It helps that I live in Lincoln probably.

My wife just went to Seattle and bought me the space needle. I have the Brandenburg gate as a parts pack. We bought my daughter Eiffel tower, since she loves it so much. This will be my next purchase for display for sure.