Jim

[TC6] Technic SBrick Contest - Information Topic

15433175254_e5679a1b33_b.jpg

Technic SBrick Contest

SBricks are shipping over the world as we speak. Say what?! You didn't join the Kickstarter project?!

No worries! Here's your chance to win one or more SBricks :wub:

For the few of you who don't know what an SBrick is, visit https://www.sbrick.com for more information.

DESCRIPTION

Build a Technic model with 4 Power Functions motors. The model should be prepared to replace the IR receivers with a single SBrick (or two if you like to maintain aesthetics).

The models needs to have 4 powered motors, providing 4 functions.

When using a gearbox, your model can have more than 4 functions (6 for example, like the 8043 Excavator).

The model needs 2 PF IR Receivers which can be replaced by one or two SBricks.

Using PF Lights is permitted. However, they don't count as functions. Functions are operated by a motor.

DEADLINE

Due to Holidays and possible issues with getting new parts from TLG this time of year I have given you two more weeks than usual.

Deadline date is February 15th, 2015. Contest will be closed on Monday the 16th, so you will have the entire Sunday to build.

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• You need to utilize 4 output ports of the IR Receivers/SBrick (not counting LEDs)
  • This means you need to use 4 motors
  • Exception 1: you can multiplex multiple motors on a single output (for driving for example, when you need more torque)
  • Exception 2: a constantly running compressor
  • Pneumatics are allowed, but only when controlled via motors (no manual switching levers, it is an SBrick contest, not a pneumatic contest)
  • LEDs are allowed, but don't count as a function
  • Other manual functions like opening doors are allowed
  • Gearboxes are allowed, as long as the previous rules are met
  • 3rd party strings and/or hoses are permitted
  • If you already own an SBrick, you can use it (as long as you can demonstrate the functions)

GENERAL RULES AND RESTRICTIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?

All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC6].

ENTRY POST

The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • One or more images
  • Video (mandatory)
  • Link to the discussion topic

PRIZES

I'm proud to announce these great prizes we have for our top 3 contestants :wub:

Special thanks to Lénárd Pásztor and the SBrick team for making this possible! :thumbup:

1st Prize

• 3 SBricks
  • Personalized SBrick smart phone profile (with Gold Medal)

2nd Prize

• 2 SBricks
  • Personalized SBrick smart phone profile (with Silver Medal)

3rd Prize

• 1 SBrick
  • Personalized SBrick smart phone profile (with Bronze Medal)

Bonus Prize

And if that's not good enough....there will be an extra SBrick awarded to somebody.....for something....

So if you don't end up in the Top 3 you will still have a chance to win this great piece of electronics.

15867980498_564c3447c7_o.png

Thanks again to the SBrick team for making this generous prize pool possible :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ok super cool, questions:

-if I'm not wrong we can use as many pieces as we want...right?

-I started to build a moc last month...never showed to anybody....can I use that one as starting base for this contest? of course I will have to adapt the Sbricks now.

Can we get a 3D model of the Sbrick eventually we want to integrate it in a LDD/Mlcad file?

Edited by TheItalianBrick

This is a really cool contest, and I might just stop my current projects for this(really good prizes)!!!! :classic:

Agreed! I'm very pleased for having the opportunity of hosting this contest. Really looking forward to the entries.

By the way; I haven't fully worked out every possible rule and question, so please ask every question and we will work out every detail the first week. Maybe I need to change some things here and there.

Ok super cool, questions:

-if I'm not wrong we can use as many pieces as we want...right?

-I started to build a moc last month...never showed to anybody....can I use that one as starting base for this contest? of course I will have to adapt the Sbricks now.

Can we get a 3D model of the Sbrick eventually we want to integrate it in a LDD/Mlcad file?

I have a digital file to represent the SBrick. I will try to get an LDD version as well, so you can make a brick version of it.

If you haven't published the MOC, it's okay!

There's no part count limit.

In the text you say exactly 4 motors and 4 functions, while in the Contest Specific Rules section you say only exactly 4 functions. So, if two motors is used for the same function (like driving with 2 L motors or 2 XL motors), does it coult as one or two?

Agreed! I'm very pleased for having the opportunity of hosting this contest. Really looking forward to the entries.

By the way; I haven't fully worked out every possible rule and question, so please ask every question and we will work out every detail the first week. Maybe I need to change some things here and there.

I just thought of one, what if I make a hybrid LPE, PF vehicle and have an air needle attached to an air compressor (all the rest of it will be LEGO), would this entry be disqualified ?

Great!

1. Can model be modelteam-like...technic functions, brick body?

2. Can model be with pneumatics also, besides PF?...Drive, steer, rotate, pneumatic compressor? That way it could have more than 4 functions (via pneumatics), but all powered by 4 pf motors?

Edited by Milan

I have a digital file to represent the SBrick. I will try to get an LDD version as well, so you can make a brick version of it.

If you haven't published the MOC, it's okay!

There's no part count limit.

Thanks Jim.

Indeed you will need to update rules as we will make more questions :tongue: .

So I have 2 motors that power 1 function .....as Likpo said....can you confirm we are ok?

I just thought of one, what if I make a hybrid LPE, PF vehicle and have an air needle attached to an air compressor (all the rest of it will be LEGO), would this entry be disqualified ?

Not 100% sure what you mean, but besides the SBrick, your MOC needs to be built of LEGO parts. What other parts are you thinking of using?

Great!

1. Can model be modelteam-like...technic functions, brick body?

2. Can model be with pneumatics also, besides PF?...Drive, steer, rotate, pneumatic compressor? That way it could have more than 4 functions (via pneumatics), but all powered by 4 pf motors?

1. Yes

2. Yes

This part is essential "but all powered by 4 pf motors?" :thumbup:

So I have 2 motors that power 1 function .....as Likpo said....can you confirm we are ok?

2 motors that power 1 function? Like 2 motors for driving (each motor connected to a wheel)? Like the Ferrari 458.

Hmmm good question. Well, looking at me own rules this is okay. You need to use 4 motors....what you do with them is your decision :tongue:

(although I prefer 4 different functions of course)

Edit: This way you can also use 4 motors just for driving.....hmmm I guess I need a minute to think about it....

Not 100% sure what you mean, but besides the SBrick, your MOC needs to be built of LEGO parts. What other parts are you thinking of using?

I might use a basketball air needle: to connect the LPE to the compressor.

Edited by Epic Technic

I might use a basketball air needle: to connect the LPE to the compressor.

For the sake of clarity and this being a LEGO contest, let's stick to LEGO parts.

Next think, people want to add this and that. I can't oversee where this will end.

For the sake of clarity and this being a LEGO contest, let's stick to LEGO parts.

Next think, people want to add this and that. I can't oversee where this will end.

okay thank you for the answer. Now what should I build?

probably it's ok to specify we necessary need minimum 4 functions to enter the contest, but not necessary only 4 motors...we can have 5, 6 or more and more..

Jim let me make an example so probably this can help everybody: A car, with 2 motors connected to a differential, so it's not each motor for each wheel....but it's 2 motors that together provide driving function.

okay thank you for the answer. Now what should I build?

Maybe something LPE with a basketball needle and.... :tongue:

Just kidding. I'm sure you will figure something out. And remember.....animals and technic contests..... :wink:

And remember.....animals and technic contests..... :wink:

You can't play that card all the time...

probably it's ok to specify we necessary need minimum 4 functions to enter the contest, but not necessary only 4 motors...we can have 5, 6 or more and more..

Jim let me make an example so probably this can help everybody: A car, with 2 motors connected to a differential, so it's not each motor for each wheel....but it's 2 motors that together provide driving function.

This definitely makes sense!

I am looking for 4 different functions. One of which could be driving, which can be using 2 motors. In that case you will have more than 4 motors.

Let's see what other people think of this, but I think we are on the same page.

This definitely makes sense!

I am looking for 4 different functions. One of which could be driving, which can be using 2 motors. In that case you will have more than 4 motors.

Let's see what other people think of this, but I think we are on the same page.

Perfect!!!

What about that thing "animal and technic"? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

BTW this is gonna be the most epic contest ever!!!! And this time I'm ready for it!!

Interesting competition. I'm usually not into PF myself, but I might go for it.

And to join the discussion, yes I think the model should have four independent controls. After all, that's how many controls the RC will have. How many motors every control uses is up to the designer, but the model should use the four controls for four different things, in my opinion.

This could be interesting. This SBrick is controllable via smartphone, right? Anyhow, I'm probably going to join. Two months is quite some time :)

Is anyone able to create (and share) a brick built SBrick in LDD?

By the way, just to be sure:

the model is not supposed to have manual functions, correct?

I'm cool with some additional manual functions. As long as it meets the motorizes requirements.

I'll build one right now.

Great!

Be aware that the mold has changed. The current one is depicted in my promotional image.

Wow, this contest sounds interesting. I'm thinking about entering for the first time.

I like the definition Erik Leppen has given:

And to join the discussion, yes I think the model should have four independent controls. After all, that's how many controls the RC will have. How many motors every control uses is up to the designer, but the model should use the four controls for four different things, in my opinion.

For me, this sonds quite clear and is probably most in line with Jim's original idea.

Great!

Be aware that the mold has changed. The current one is depicted in my promotional image.

Yup, I made an LDD file for the newer styled mold SBrick. The download link is here: http://www.brickshel...brick_model.lxf

EDIT- I forgot to put the power plugin part will be updated.

Edited by Epic Technic

Oooh, this is more like it! Hope to see a lot of models in which the SBrick is not simply a replacement for the IR Receivers, but rather a needed component in the build! For example a small model!

EDIT:

On a side note, I see a potential "flaw" in the SBrick's design: You cant use the lower outputs (lowest "stair step") on the brick to power two motors for each output without using an extension wire

Edited by D3K