If the house was ablaze and rushed in to grab my 3 ultimate, top on the list

Still sad though about the ones that got left behind... The insurance guy has loads of questions ;)

yep - but if you were playing the house on fire game properly you'd get the photos and/or computer backups, since all lego is replaceable - even the #3 red connectors and black 19L flex axles. :laugh:

well thats not true coz we all have cloud storage or drop box so should have that sorted.i would be grabbing sets first :grin:

priority's priority's !

8868: Air Tech Claw Rig - best set ever...in quite all criterias

8479: Barcode Truck - very innovative

8880: Supercar - very innovativ - the alpha and the omega of lego supercars - still

8455: Backhoe - an incredible marvel

8043: Excavator - best gear-train ever

8258: Crane truck - best truck until now - maybe it will be topped by the forthcomming H2 mercedes truck ;-)

8110: Unimog - most realistic set and best modifiable set ever

8846: mini tow pickup - best small set ever

4958: Dinosaur - most unique technic set

more or less this is also my rating sequence...

Edited by Kumbbl

I don’t want to sound too negative or grumpy, but what is the point of topics like this one, where everybody just give a list of their best, most favorite, worst, most (im)popular, most expensive, biggest, … sets they own or have owned?

What is the intention of the TS? To be assured that their sets fit in the lists of other AFOLS, or see which they should buy to make a list complete?

I could appreciate if this data would be used by the TS in a graph or another way of making trends and evolutions visible. But just listing them seem a little pointless to me. Yes, I can and do choose to not read these topics, but they seem to be more numerous than before and cluttering the overview of topics.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

... BTW, I think DrJB posted the same question just last month (Dec2014) http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=103427 ...

Small Correction. The reason for this thread came from: I was looking at all my sets and realized there were many and what would happen if I were to move or if a fire broke up in the house, or if I were to downsize. Thus, I asked the question: Which 1/3/5 sets would you absolutely keep? One of the mods changed the title of the thread to 'Your favorite sets', but that is not what I asked. Maybe for non-native English speakers the questions are similar, but they are not.

In fact, D3K understood the question in this thread perfectly, and he replied: I'd keep 5 sets that are all yellow, because he's into mocking and wanted the most part collection in a single color. Other readers thought I was asking after favorite sets. For me personally, my 5 favorite sets are NOT those I'd keep if I were to downsize. I know ... nuances.

PS. After Jim merged the topics, your link refers to this same topic (circular reference?)

Edited by DrJB

PS. After Jim merged the topics, your link refers to this same topic (circular reference?)

I always include the topic in my reply when I am announcing a merge action. The subscribers of the original topic get a message with the right link to the merged topic.

But after merging it indeed results in a circular reference. Maybe I can delete the link after merging.

Done.

Reading through this thread, I noticed that 8043, 8258, and 8110 are mentioned more than anything else. Have we found the 3 best Technic sets? :look:

Someone ought to make statistics on this - you are dead right! so much feedback from AFOLs all saying the same :)

heres mine btw:

1: 8110 Unimog - incredible platform to motorize and build extra machinery on.

2: 8043 Excavator (Ultimate) - great fun and lots of parts

3: 42030 Volvo loader (retrofitted w/mini LAs for steering) Hours of fun and plenty of power ! still to put a gearbox where the motor is

4: 8258 Crane truck. I never actually got the set, but bought the parts on BL, converted it into a dump truck. Well build and endless possibilities

5: 42009 Mobile crane (Ultimate) awesome set with soo many functions.. actually not all that playable...

My Runners up:

8455 Back hoe - The reason I took up lego as an adult in 2003 !

8275 Bulldozer - with these parts I can build ANYTHING! :)

8421 mobile crane - parts

9398 Rock crawler - Why didn't anyone else mention this? I got a couple for parts.

8880 supercar.. My first flagship...

My top five looks like:

1. 8043

2. 8110

3. 42009

4. 8862

5. 42030

But I think that the 42043 will take first or second when it will be released.

Edited by racedees

My top 5

And the new 42043.

My least favourite in the last few years is 9398.

Edited by davidmull

My Top 5 goes like this:

8043 Excavator for awesome playability

8851 Excavator for nostalgia

8288 Crawler Crane for "Strings"

ist not real Technic but

5580 for bring me out of my dark Ages

8110 Unimog for mesmerization

My Top 5 goes like this:

8043 Excavator for awesome playability

8851 Excavator for nostalgia

8288 Crawler Crane for "Strings"

ist not real Technic but

5580 for bring me out of my dark Ages

8110 Unimog for mesmerization

I never got that 5580... :(

got the 5590, though, but I always wanted that big truck..

My downsize list would be:

8110 Unimog

9398 4x4 Crawler

8466 4x4 Off-roader

8258 Crane truck

8043 Excavator

And my favourite list:

8845+8846 Dune buggy and Tow truck combo

8848 Power truck

8110 Unimog

8288 Crawler crane

8258 Crane truck

Which 1/3/5 sets would you absolutely keep?

Greetings guys, this is an easy one for me to answer:

Basically I am buying sets based on this question :)

In 2011 reading Top Gear Magazine I accidentally bumped into a small feature on 8110

...That was around 9 years after last playing with the greatest toy ever invented...

I had to have it - it looked amazing (big fan of unimogs), had suspension, cool pneumatically driven crane etc.

Ever since I am checking the new sets and, believe it or not, It is still my only LEGO set bought as an adult.

The explanation is easy - having many interests, a job and a family keeps me busy enough that even though I love LEGO, I need to think about how much time and cash am I willing to invest into this part of my life.

Now, years after the 8110 got released, it is clear to me that:

- I am not interested in anything else than the biggest, baddest of them all (also the flagships, as this is where I sense most of the designers' "effort" goes into)

- and only the non-RC ones (as I find RC sets too "toy-like" instead of technically interesting little machines)

- and only the ones with suspension (no suspension in a LEGO car is the most disappointing thing ever, comparable only to when a child gets told there is no Santa)

Now during the last 10 years there were only three non-RC flagships with suspension - 8297, 8110 and the so-new-it's-still-in-the-future 42043

Now, years after the 8110 got released, it is clear to me that:

- I am not interested in anything else than the biggest, baddest of them all (also the flagships, as this is where I sense most of the designers' "effort" goes into)

- and only the non-RC ones (as I find RC sets too "toy-like" instead of technically interesting little machines)

- and only the ones with suspension (no suspension in a LEGO car is the most disappointing thing ever, comparable only to when a child gets told there is no Santa)

Same key features as I want from technic set too.If this licensed set, this lego model must have key features of real vehicle that is possible to implement.

So Im very happy with Arocs.This set looks too perfect to be flagship made by lego designers.So probably made way to my favourite set list.

Edited by Ondra

8860 my first technic set as a kid

8841 my first pneumatic set

9397 first motorised set built with son

42006 digger built with son and then motorized

8053 always wanted a crane and picked up second hand and motorised it at one point as well.