Sign in to follow this  
ER0L

MOC: Emergency Vehicle of the Year (former Police Interceptor of the Year)

[Edit]

List of annual Police Interceptors, now Emergency Vehicles

6530719125_64d3aac558_t.jpg

see https://www.flickr.c...157628467098541

7312919182_bee778e078_t.jpg

see https://www.flickr.c...157629998167606

8509113647_27ff51a8c9_t.jpg

see http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=80154

16016863291_9a3dc12497_t.jpg

this thread

23429145052_beedcafab8_t.jpg

this thread

31641699116_fb0ebe9aed_t.jpg

this thread

38226529645_50245367ab_t.jpg

this thread

31398443417_5dbf5b379b_t.jpg

this thread

49253243102_e8d5d112c7_t.jpg

this thread

[/edit]

Hi all,

a little late this year, but here it is, the Police Interceptor 2014:

16016863291_9a3dc12497_z.jpg

It was quite obvious that the Police Interceptor of the year 2014 would have to be an LCS vehicle. Furthermore, since the future town will be illuminated I was wondering if at least some of the vehicles can be lightenend, too - it would look quite awkward if cars without lights were cruising the town at night. It proved to be possible without any foreign parts - via a combination of 9 Volt and PowerFunctions stuff.

Functions:

• self-steering front axle
  • emergency lights (9 V)
  • siren (9 V)
  • headlights (PF)
  • backlights (PF)

100% Lego. The car weighs over 200 grams (battery included) but is an excellent mover on the LCS.

Credits:

• derjoe whose "brick & tile" car building style proved to be most appropriate when dealing with lighting
  • Brucewaynelego-Toyshansolo who introduced me into the "9 Volt world".

Rear:

15832452769_80346e3432_z.jpg

From below:

15831066428_5ccb75d211_z.jpg

Hopefully the PI 2014 will be the first of a series of illuminated "night" cars like ambulances, fire engines or stretch limos. Some more pics on my Flickr. Thanks for looking!

In action on the LCS layout:

Edited by ER0L

On 12/15/2014 at 6:00 PM, eurotrash said:

The additional of the lights is fantastic! Super job Er0l.

Many thanks eurotrash!

On 12/15/2014 at 9:22 PM, lightningtiger said:

'ER0L'.....you are a genius ! :thumbup:

AWESOME station wagon and chase scene......powered by 9 Volt I see. :wink:

Brick On 'ER0L' ! :grin:

Thanks a lot LT! The PI is powered by a Light & Sound 9 V battery box, the LCS tread by a PF XL motor via a transformer and speed regulator from 1991 - old and new Lego go very well together to get something special, I think.

On 12/15/2014 at 9:44 PM, Professor Brick said:

really fantastic!

Many thanks Professor Brick!

I'd like to add a photo that - hopefully - shows how illuminated vehicles add to the atmosphere of a Lego town - even if not moving. Guess some nice night scenes are possible with that:

15798114579_d7907f873f_z.jpg

Edited by ER0L

AWESOME I say it again.......AWESOME !

Though how have you hooked up old school 9V to a PF motor ?

Thanks again LT! Hopefully you recognize the first Police Interceptor which was designed back in the day following your suggestion to rather build some muscle cars than strange-looking experimental family vans ... :wink:

The PF extension wires BL 60656 and BL 58118 are also adapter cables between PF and 9 Volt which is a great thing. It's the same combination like on the suggested spinning sign.

Police Interceptor 2015 - Ford LTD Crown Victoria Cop Car

23429145052_beedcafab8_z.jpg

7w, 1/35 scale. Fits 2 police and their police caps behind them (impossible to keep the caps on in the car). 100% Lego.

My original plans for this year's Police Interceptor didn't work out for some reasons - however, there had to be the annual cop car. That's why I took the MiB Ford Crown Victoria "P.O.S." (see http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=86746) and turned it into a police car. Great that we have that nice Simpsons cop car sticker now.

I also changed quite a few aspects - the wheelbase wasn't quite right before, and I wanted to see if the.tall 6x3 windscreen could be useful on such a car, too. Guess it's working.

Rear view:

23537607825_0596494610_z.jpg

Seated figs:

23537598755_6996db82f1_z.jpg

Chief Wiggum is confused:

23511407446_fa4866196c_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Police Vehicle 2016 - Lego Police Mobile Command Center

31641699116_fb0ebe9aed_c.jpg

Hi all,

this year's Police Interceptor definitely isn't an interceptor, however, it's a police vehicle without doubt. Now that there are moving vehicles again in my wannabe town (see below, for whatever reason I can't set an ordinary link), it had to be one of those, of course. But there was not enough time to build a completely new moving vehicle, that's why I took the chassis of the said school bus and built a new body for it. Modular building comes in handy at times ... . 

The mobile command vehicle hasn't been tested on the slot circle yet (most of it being stowed away right now) but having the exact measurements of the bus it probably won't fail there. Like the 2014 PI the vehicle is equipped with a combination between PF LEDs as headlights and backlights and the good old Light & Sound lights as police lights. Difficult to say for how long such a rather battery consuming vehicle is able to move - this has to be tested, too. In general omitting an active steering (which not only requires a servo motor but also an IR receiver plus a larger PF battery box) gives the opportunity to add other functions, especially in such large vehicles. 

The vision is to get all elements necessary to build enlightened layouts - strictly with Lego parts, of course. Buildings are no problem, there are some working street lights already, also an enlightened Monorail, a loco and even a yacht. What is still missing are illuminated signs though. And hopefully there will be some more vehicles with lights (which don't have to move in each case).  

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ER0L

What a great series!  I like the variety--and each one is faithful to the original source.  The lighting makes then that much more fun.

23 hours ago, Xon67 said:

What a great series!  I like the variety--and each one is faithful to the original source.  The lighting makes then that much more fun.

Thank you very much! Yeah, I guess much more can be done about lighting, also on vehicles which aren't too small.

15 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a superlative toy! :wub::wub:

Many thanks! I didn't think of it as a toy before, but you're absolutely right - it means a lot of fun to have more "playable" vehicles in your town than just filling your roads with rather static models. When you take a look at larger Lego layouts the action often doesn't take place in the center but rather in the "outlying districts". Sometimes trains are the only moving objects. There's a reason why the Faller Car System was invented for model railroad layouts - it would be great to have at least a few moving vehicles also within your Lego town. Combined with trains and a Monorail and perhaps even an airport with motorized vehicles you'll get a much more lively Town layout than usual. And the more such elements there are the more possibilities for interaction between them you get. 

Police Vehicle 2017 - Hummer H2 Super Secret Police edition

38226529645_50245367ab_z.jpg

7-wide, 1/35 scale, 100% Lego.

No motor, no suspension, no steering, not even lights - just a straight and simple build. Plus chrome rims. Stickers are taken from 70802, one of those great Lego Movie sets.

I guess the 7-wide form factor works quite well here, surprisingly I didn't find another H2 in 7w (6w is tricky proportionwise, 8w of course would be even better but is too large for minifig purposes). 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ER0L

Same procedure as every year ...

First off, I'll add another version of last year's Hummer with an improved windscreen:

38529873414_67c5f1c0d1_z.jpg

Hummer H2 Super Secret Police 2.0 

But also this version doesn't exist any more, though it somehow survives in its stretched version I built for a special purpose (to be seen in the following video of a joint layout together with Gábor Horváth and Steffen Kasteleiner which also shows the 2014 PI plus the command center vehicle moving at the very ending):

However, now the original H2 was turned into this:

31398443417_5dbf5b379b_z.jpg

Hummer H1 "Super Secret Police" (Police Vehicle of the Year 2018)

8w, 1:35 scale. For quite some time I had the idea that a SNOT front section with hinge bricks - similar to the muscle cars - would look good on a Hummer H1. Now that I needed to build another police vehicle of the year I used the opportunity to modify last year's H2 (7w) and turn it into an H1. Scale is pretty much exactly 1:35 though the model is a little bit too wide, however, also in reality an H1 is a bit wider than an H2.

The wheels are a combination of SC rims and those large City tires. Like on the H2 Stickers are taken mainly from 70802, a Lego Movie set - thus the "Super Secret Police" setup which I think is a nice thing to have as some kind of a special forces police department. The Super Secret Police may serve as a SWAT team or as kind of a secret service at the same time. 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ER0L

Emergency Vehicle 2019 - Ambulance with emergency lighting

49253243102_e8d5d112c7_z.jpg

Ambulance with working emergency lights (1/40 scale) by ER0L, on Flickr

Hi all,

I'm changing the title of this thread to "Emergency Vehicle of the Year" - there are enough cop cars now, I guess.

7w/8w. 100% Lego.

Here you can see the ambulance in action: https://www.flickr.com/photos/er0l/49248900118

There was no time for Lego in the last few months. However at least the annual emergency vehicle had to be built - which was also motivated  by another visit to the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg some weeks ago (biggest model railway worldwide). There you may learn a lot about conceiving a model layout, also regarding the necessity of having as many emergency vehicles as possible (and with working lights, if that can be achieved somehow). Also, an Ambulance was still missing on the Route 66 layout, and I had wanted to build one for a long time.

The vehicle is based on some actual specs I found on Demers Ambulances (https://www.demers-ambulances.com/model-comparison-chart/) which is a great thing. Scale is pretty much exactly 1/40 (meaning I found suitable measurements for most aspects on several prototypes) with the exception of width (8w is a bit too wide) and probably the height of the cab (though there is this type of heavy duty pick-up truck considerably taller than a human being, I guess).

Of course, the design possibilities were a bit restricted by the necessity of including the light gear, but the design does its job, I guess - like on the vehicle it is supposed to mimic. Still no fan of the SC wheels which look too big (and too sporty) on practically everything - but well, there aren’t many alternatives for this kind of vehicle if you want to avoid the usual tire stretching. Another restriction were the parts at hand since I’m trying more and more not to purchase a few missing parts just to finish a MOC. The lower section is blue just because I didn’t have two of the white arch bricks - I think it looks nice as well. 

In any case it’s great to see that Lego parts of several decades can still be put together smoothly to create something working nicely: Take an old battery box, some L&S lights (working perfectly in spite of their age), some cables plus an adapter cable (!) to connect the PF LEDs for headlights and rear lights. No need for the more modern stuff. Also, no need for third party lighting stuff at all.

Thanks for reading all this. Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all of you! Hopefully there’ll be more MOCs coming from me in 2020.

Edited by ER0L