9v system

Should LEGO Produce a Micro Motor?

There are lots of areas where a XS or S motor could be useful. One of the first that comes to mind is controlling Pneumatic valves. If they could launch a redesigned valve, with a axle whole and return to center, at the same time I would be in heaven. Using M motor to control valves are just a huge waste of space...

I would love to see a large pneumatic Road Grader with PF control of the valves (Through a S or XS motor) and longer pneumatic cylinders. THAT would be a FLAGSHIP!

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot

Making a brushless speed controller integrated into the PF motor itself is rather trivial, it can totally be done and it would work just fine with the current PF IR receivers, just as the PF servo does. But I'd still say probably not. A brushless motor would be very expensive compared to the current PF motors.

when I opened up a clock mechanism I found a very small brushless motor inside it. this could be a good use for a new micro motor

This is exactly what I was thinking! I had some scenarios where a the 6-stud-length of the m-motor was just too big, and maybe a 3 x 3 motor would have fit perfectly. Maybe TLG could make a 3 x 3 motor with a similar look/exterior casing to the current m-motor, so it can work perfectly with the Technic System. Plus, it should also have the female connection on the bottom, just like the m-motor does, but it will be 2 x 3.

Edited by sama

Yes, we definitely need another micro-motor, the old one is too expensive for what it does. This would open up a lot of new possibilities, either for building micro-machines, or for MOC's with a large array of functions. Just do It!

I'd love to see smaller PF elements, an XS motor would be awesome for so many applications, and an even smaller (than AAA) battery box would have nice too, e.g. one containing a PP3 9V battery. We kind of already have the MiniZip for that, but it's missing an on/off switch 0:)

If someone could to an ideas project for this it would be great

Already was up before they changed rules to NO NEW parts.

The real question is: Will TLG make a new micro-motor?

Sadly, the majority of us are 'convinced' this will never happen. Corporations are not keen on repeating mistakes of the past.

There are lots of areas where a XS or S motor could be useful. One of the first that comes to mind is controlling Pneumatic valves. If they could launch a redesigned valve, with a axle whole and return to center, at the same time I would be in heaven. Using M motor to control valves are just a huge waste of space...

I would love to see a large pneumatic Road Grader with PF control of the valves (Through a S or XS motor) and longer pneumatic cylinders. THAT would be a FLAGSHIP!

-ED-

If we're after a motor to control a valve, why not go for an electrical valve instead?

Simple functions sometimes become quite complicated and the amount of space it takes do yes yhey should!

If they do make an S motor it should go around 80,000 RPM I think, that would be cool and possible for a small motor, they should also make it possible to hook it up to the mains by making an AC transformer with a PF plug on the end.

If they do make an S motor it should go around 80,000 RPM I think, that would be cool and possible for a small motor.

perhaps, but why? What application for general use would possibly warrant that kind of device?

Most motors built like that aren't intended to be coupled to a slow load (ie direct couple to a cutting tool for example). The speed alone requires great bearings and lubrication, neither of which exist in lego and the noise is terrible!