eurotrash

MOC: Chinese Laundry

Chinese Laundry

I've had the idea of this building on the drawing board for some time now, but it wasn't quite right and so it's been built and rebuilt a number of times. Then I decided to make it dynamic and give it some movement by adding power functions. So, here it is; a Chinese Laundry for the Oriental district in my City powered by an M-motor.

15384269784_f38f5fc4c2_c.jpg

As usual the facade is showing some wear and tear - there's missing and broken masonry. The red parapet at the roof includes a Lego car hood, but the main attraction is the working mechanicals.

That was v1.0. In v2.0 I connected the white steam clouds to the M-motor, but got the gearing backwards and instead of having slowly rotating white zephyrs I got a couple of high speed white Tornadoes of death (it took me ages to find all the pieces again). I'll try again in v3.0

Here's some more details on the facade.

16005832832_89ae60216c_c.jpg

16005832522_6df24cbd7e_c.jpg

The ground floor contains the Laundry itself and steps leading up to the second floor. The laundry includes a double row of washers/dryers, cactus, cash register, ductwork for the dryers, a seriously over the top electrical junction box, storage shelves with supplies, a clothes rack of clean shirts for customers to pick up and a vending machine.

[Credit: The washing machines were modded from a design by Eurobricks' vecchiasignoraceppo]

16004565001_af3e0e77b9_c.jpg

15386902263_8ee28f58b3_c.jpg

Here's the second floor including the mechanicals. It's a M-motor connected to some step down gear, a simple homemade cam, a rocker, and an axle leading out through the wall.

15819269240_d1cbf63006_c.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear of the building. There's a washing line, seagull, and dumpster.

15819268560_d5a4bdb1cf_c.jpg

I hope you enjoyed it.

As usual comments, criticism and ridicule most welcome!

Edit: I corrected the description of the motor to an M-Motor (thanks Mestari !)

Edited by eurotrash

AWESOME work 'eurotrash'........though that iron rocking is a little too fast.....must be rocking to some hardcore techno ! :laugh:

Brick On 'eurotrash' ! :grin:

A great looking building, with some fantastic detailing in the laundry itself. I also like how you included a vent at the back for the washing machines.

Just one thing I am curious about - what is the red thing in the front left corner of the laundry?

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

Outstanding. You should submit it to Lego ideas. You must know how much I appreciate interiors because you did a great job on this one. However, this type of business indicates the hipsters are moving into your city. The long time residents of your city clearly don't need the services of a laundry. What's next? Restoration Hardware? The Pottery Barn? A hip micro brewery? Clearly, the services needed for complete gentrification of your community have started to appear.

AWESOME work 'eurotrash'........though that iron rocking is a little too fast.....must be rocking to some hardcore techno ! :laugh:

You should have seen it before I had the step down gears in place. It was scarily awesome!

Just one thing I am curious about - what is the red thing in the front left corner of the laundry?

Thanks for the blog post Kristel. It's very much appreciated. As for the red thing - it's a vending machine, built during much warmer weather and included in this MOC because I couldn't fit the aquarium I had planned in that space.

9528501637_1b04aa6547_c.jpg

Outstanding. You should submit it to Lego ideas. You must know how much I appreciate interiors because you did a great job on this one. However, this type of business indicates the hipsters are moving into your city. The long time residents of your city clearly don't need the services of a laundry. What's next? Restoration Hardware? The Pottery Barn? A hip micro brewery? Clearly, the services needed for complete gentrification of your community have started to appear.

If you think the two minifigs in front of the building are representative of hipsters then clearly Atlanta has way more problems than any of us suspected.... :wink:

Thanks for all the comments!

Great job, nice inside and out. I see yet another use for the white lifesaver ring part..haha, the prices on BrickLink for that part keep going up (they are on to us)! Cheers!

Fantastic building! The usage of power function makes it very amzing, instead of amazing! :classic: The interior and the overall look is cool, too!

Great stuff eurotrash! Now that's what we need: more action and movement in the city. That rocking iron is very nice, I also like the detailing of the interior. :thumbup:

Looks great! Do you have any pics of your whole layout?

Thanks, I'm reorganizing my build room at the moment, but once it's complete I'll reassemble the town and post images.

That motor is an M motor by the way;)

Thanks for pointing that out. I must have been having a blonde moment.

Great stuff eurotrash! Now that's what we need: more action and movement in the city. That rocking iron is very nice, I also like the detailing of the interior. :thumbup:

Cheers! I'm a few bricks away from posting my next MOC and again it's a motorized Modular one. I'm really enjoying the challenge of finding what to automate and how to make it work.

I have yet to see something quite like this! I loved all the details on the inside. You included a bit of everything. Also, the way the clothing iron moves on the outside, genius!

Very creative and well built. The detail i the MOC from the exterior iron, to the washing machines, to the clothes line out back is incredible!

I feel there should be something connecting the ends of the arch to the bottom of the windows on the second floor.