Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

Trackside Doodle - Union Pacific Yard Office

In Webster, TX on Highway 3, just north of Nasa Road 1, between the road and the railroad tracks sits a shack.

I don't know what it is or why its there, but it's there none the less. It belongs to the Union Pacific (their name's on it), but they didn't return any of my emails regarding what it is. Someone on Facebook called it a yard office - fair enough, I deem it a yard office.

It's been at several displays now, but I didn't ever post photos specifically of it by itself. So here we go:

16004228351_0281be9c41.jpgUnion Pacific Yard Office by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

And here it is at one of our layouts, being the track-side interest it was meant to be:

15172486401_1680112e80.jpgBTTS2014_37 by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

Truth be told it was an excuse to use spare parts I didn't know what to do with otherwise, but for the little amount of time I spent on it I think it's very successful.

--Tony

Nice build. Did you look in the dumpsters by the building? It might provide some clues.

Nice, especially as a model of the original.

I'm looking at building some line side buildings for my layout: I have the top level of the hut from 60009 Helicopter Arrest as one line side shack, and have my eye on the garage/shack in the newer 60046 Helicopter Surveillance for another, too.

My brother was into Lima electric trains (HO?) when I was a kid and he had a building in his diorama that looked just like that.

Another great SNOT building enters the wilderness!

Another great SNOT building enters the wilderness!

I see virtually no SNOT at all on this building... just a large number of Masonry bricks. and might I add its a wonderful looking building with such simple technic (who says the best builds require the craziest connections)

This would make a nice addition to my layout once finished, since most of my stock is UP anyway. Hope you don't mind that I'll borrow this little beauty?

edit: borrow as in: make my own

Edited by Barduck

Thanks all, I appreciate the comments. This building is in a real awkward place with very little parking. Very hard to snoop without looking terribly conspicuous.

The construction doesn't have much SNOT, but that doubled double-half stud offset was a bit tricky. Fortunately white 2x2 jumpers were on my pick a brick wall.

--Tony