commodore_legolas

Interstellar Discussion

Didn't see that anyone had made a topic for this, so I thought I'd start one.

So what did everybody else think of the movie? I absolutely loved it, my favorite movie of the year definitely! It's a very hard movie to describe, you really just have to see it!

(It should be a given, but please put any spoilers in tags, as I don't want the movie to be ruined for anyone. Thanks.)

Saw this on opening day. I loved the movie as well. If you are a time travel / sci-fi enthusiast then check out "Primer" and "Predestination" as well.

I was going to see Big Hero 6, but it turned out it wasn't there, so I did a heel-face turn and watched Interstellar on opening night.

To me it is the best movie of the year, and the whole thing is very well-thought out. To the point that

The leading World reseacher on Wormholes (I forget his name) helped with those scenes, so its actually what going through a wormhole is theorized to look like.

I really didn't like it. I really see now why people bash on Christopher Nolan (Dark Knight Rises wasn't as horrible as some others said IMO, but this has proven to me that the doubts with that film are justified for this one. I'll just put the rest in spoiler tags.

The story was far too ambitious and "out there". The idea was solid, and I was really looking forward to how Syncopy/Legendary and all those guys would pull it off. Inception was also ambitious, but everything they did right for that movie, they did wrong for this one. The whole binary ghost thing was left hanging without any reference back to it until the end of the movie. The whole time I was thinking "wait, so how did any of the exposition make sense?". And are we to expect that, upon trespassing NASA's secret HQ and being incarcerated, Michael Caine's character suddenly goes, "hey you can't be here - wait, actually, fly our spaceship, it's mankind's last hope".

I was willing to look past those things as the protagonists traveled to uncharted territory. I have to admit, the special effects and unique planet ideas were very impressive. The giant wave water planet was incredible, and the frozen cloud planet would've been just as cool if we actually got to see the life that Matt Damon claimed to find. The star travel and spaceship scenes were also pretty neat. The gravity-time warp field thingy was interesting and kept the movie at fast pace, and the result of McConaughey's character meeting his daughter on her deathbed was probably the most emotional moment of film.

But I'll leave the movie's saving graces at that. I actually thought that the acting was sub-par for such a star-studded cast. McConaughey wasn't terrible, but nowhere near the caliber of some of his previous performances. I don't think he was a wrong choice for the protagonist, but somehow he didn't fit quite right, either. I can't place it exactly, but there were points where his awe or frustration were just not believable. Matt Damon was an awful choice for a cowardly genius; he's just not cut out for that role (although I think he's also had stellar performances in the past), and was really just laughably bad for his short appearance. Even Michael Caine seemed flat. I did like Anne Hathaway because she seemed like the most dynamic character. I think she's underrated in her recent career. Jessica Chastain was okay, but I can't say I ever liked her that much in general. I only know John Lithgow from Dexter and Third Rock from the Sun, but he was recognizable and a good casting choice I think.

Now for the most glaring issue that I can't bring myself to justify let alone like. The whole spacetime continuum blackhole timetravel fifth-third-dimension thingy was clown shoes. Without making any sort of sense whatsoever, the whole ending was incredibly disappointing. I sat for 3 hours waiting for this? Even if it were written well enough to kind of make sense, I'm expected to believe that fifth-dimension-residing aliens (but not really aliens because it's humans) can make a 3-D representation of a 5-D universe so that McConaughey can knock books over by pounding on the glass separating dimensions of space and time, but they can't make the glass thin enough for him to break through and stop his past self from ever leaving? :laugh: I much prefer the headache that is Terminator time travel than this one, thank you.

So, that's my take on it. I'm well aware that it differs from that of the mainstream critics and the general public, but I really didn't enjoy this film. I also recently watched Gravity which I held to high expectations because it won like every single Oscar, but I also hated that so... maybe space films (not sci-fi) just aren't for me. Except for Moon. Moon was awesome.

The movie definitely deserves to be watched - amazing visuals, superb acting as well as an excellent storyline - Christopher Nolan, do doubt, has done a great job with this one. The only downside (if it can be called that) is the excess scientific jargon in the movie, especially in the second half. Maybe because I am not from an academically scientific background as such, but there were certain sections of the movie where I didn't really get what they meant and was left wondering for a couple of moments as to what is unfolding in front of my eyes. Did anyone else also feel that way?

Not as good as other Nolan films, as I loved Inception and Dark Knight Rises. However I did like it, especially the level of science included. My biggest dislike was the ending, which felt contrived and didn't make much sense.

I loved the movie, the tone, the characters...ESPECIALLY the music. The ending was a letdown for me, though. The movie seemed to climax a lot in the middle and for the grand climax to be so muddled hurt the movie for me. Other than that it was absolutely fantastic, though.

Anyone notice the Endurance has 12 modules, almost like a clock? Or that the first planet was man vs nature and the second planet was man vs man?...Hence 'Dr Mann'. It's touches like that that can bring a movie up a notch. You could even go so far as to say the final act of the movie dealt with Cooper's internal turmoil, man vs self, in a way.