Sign in to follow this  
jFox

How do you add to your train collection?

I missed out on the recent 7939 Cargo Train set, but will be picking up its successor, the 60052 Cargo Train. The 7939 is still around, but is it worth buying it for slightly inflated prices, or perhaps buy just the pieces that interest me for a couple bucks here and there? Do any of you buy multiple boxed sets, or just add a single car or two as you go? Some of the parts, like the Power Function remotes and battery boxes, I worry about ending up with way too many of them (the train version of a brick separator?).

Along those same lines, what do you value cars or locomotives at? Would $50 for a locomotive (from any set, or even a custom) be a good deal? Would $100 be insanity? I don't yet have enough experience with trains to know what sort of parts I'd need (or their relative cost) for some of the train-specific stuff: cars, track, cranes, etc. I may just bite the bullet and get a 7939 before it gets really pricey, but I was curious if there were a more cost-effective way to go about it.

It used to be that I'd try to get one of every train set that came out, but somewhere along the way I ran out of space and the sets got less interesting, so I stopped doing that.

Nowadays I'd mostly do MOCs, but I still try to get a copy of the nice train sets/the ones I'd regret not getting (ie Maersk Train or Horizon Express).

Concerning the "too many parts" issue: for most of the things you mentioned, you can probably sell them, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Things like PF curve track maybe it gets a little tougher...

I don't think you should have a strict rule on valuing things: really the more you want it the more you should be willing to pay for it. In general I'd abide by the usual "10 cents per brick" rule, but obviously for big trains sets or EoL sets, that'll be different. For a retired set that I regret not getting such as the Emerald Night, I'd probably be willing to pay double the MSRP. What's really annoying is that people seem to only sell MISB, but I'd much rather get a used one for less.

If you want retired old sets you can also try to piece them together with BL orders, and in some cases it might be cheaper. There's the added benefit that, if you aren't a "strict" collector and only want part of a set, you could part together like just the locomotive, etc.

Get the 7939 before it gets to expensive. It has a good value in the parts and includes track and PF. I have it and gave 16 curves and flexi track which is not that reliable. Luckily ot comes with 2 switches and 8 straight track which is a little hard to find these days. The minifigs are not to bad either. Right now the price is going up so get it soon.

Well I have missed out on all the trains before the PF-trains arrived. Mostly because I had little interest in trains since I live in a area without trains. But I have traveled some in my work in the last few years and seen a lot of trains and the interest for trains has grown. And I have up to now bought all the PF-trains in addition to some other trains like the Holiday train, Harry Potter train and Toy Story train. I have no plan to miss out on any new trains that LEGO put out.

And I in addition to all those PF trains I have also bought a GamesOnTrack system to control all the trains :)

There is no such thing as too much Power Functions. I always seem to run low on motors. :classic: I can see you can end up with too many remotes if you buy many of the CITY line of train sets. They are good for parts to get you started. I tend to buy into the Creator Expert line or make my own to build up my collection.

Just got my second train a few weeks ago (Maersk) from ebay after watching it come and go from the Lego store because I had no interest way back when. LOL The first was 60052 that sat in the box until I needed the PF for the Maersk. Just got 60051 a couple days ago and having a lot of fun with it. Want to build my own but will probably cough up the extra dinero to get 7938. That brick built front is sweet.

The sets are great way to get started and you can decide what you want or don't want from there, and use the extra parts for MOCs or MODs.

I actually started with the Emerald Night and Maersk a couple years ago, so I sort of went backwards. After that I bought power functions for them, bought a few track packs, the rail crossing set (still available at the time), bought some tracks off bricklink (curves are pretty cheap), bricklinked the parts to build the My Own Train series of rolling stock (10014-10017) and the BNSF engine (10133). Eventually I got my little boy the red cargo train, and bought an extra box car via ebay. I also bought an incomplete yellow cargo train from a co-worker mostly for the parts (not really interested in it as a complete train). I'm also working on a couple of designs for an engine and a mail car with the LDD program, which I plan to build eventually (via bricklink). Lots of ways to expand!

Edited by domboy

I was a wee lad of six years old when I got 4565 Freight and Crane Railway and a 9V Transformer on Christmas morning, and I'm pretty sure I still have those same track and transformer to this day (The train itself is long gone from countless rebuilding and mocs through childhood, but I still come across the red 6x28 train plates with the 9V train logo on the sides here and there). Back then S@H was out of the question for , so for about a year I only had the loop the set came with until my birthday rolled around and I got one each of the three track types available then (Eight straights, eight curves, and two switches) and 2126. By the release of the Super Chief I had started buying my own trains, but as I was approaching my teens I started to drift away from Lego in general. The trains and the rest of my bricks went into storage for a few years when I heard about how Lego was changing to RC trains. I dove back into the hobby by grabbing both RC trains available back then (Kinda regret getting the passenger set though :sick: ) and was somewhat impressed with some of the new pieces but disliked the huge battery draining RC Battery chassis.

After that I would slowly drift back into trains with the Hobby Train, the advent of Power Functions, the Emerald Night, and currently now with the Horizon Express. I don't really buy any more track though, 9V or Plastic. I've got three sets of 9V switches and enough straights and curves that I can fit into my small abode. As said before train motors and magnets are always welcome though!

There is no such thing as too much Power Functions. I always seem to run low on motors. :classic:

Same here. My only issue is that I now have a desire to build trains with the L-Motors and the only way to get the V2 IR receiver is through Bricklink. :wacko:

I tend to buy into the Creator Expert line or make my own to build up my collection.

After purchasing the 60052, I also ended up with about all the parts I need as far as remotes and the like are concerned and only build my own MOCs. I will grab the next Creator train to come out as a replacement for the HE.

The only other thing that I need would be axles and couplings. And lord, those really start adding up when you consder that each constructed bogey starts out around $7.50 in parts when you include the couplers. I refrain from telling my wife how much I have invested in the Ghost Train ver 1.02 with the 4-6-0 locomotive, tender, mail car (contains PF bits), drop deck car, 2 jail cars, and the caboose. At least many of the parts for the locomotive cam from the actual Ghost Train set which I got for half price, but it grew by a bunch.

I don't buy those complete sets anymore... I'm just not a big fan of the train sets, which seemed geared towards younger crowd. I buy the creator/advanced ones like Horizon Express, Emerald Night, and Maersk. I'd bought a bunch of PF stuff right when it came out, and also added a lot of new train motors later on - even the PF lights (which you can use to light headlights on 9V trains, too).

I've also added non-train series trains (liek cgarison mentions above) - Toy Story 3 and the Lone Ranger ones, for example, and Hogwarts Express. I buy a lot of track and parts separately, bricklink has lots of train bases, magnet buffers, etc., for reasonable prices.

I just buy cars/wagons. Makes more sense. I'd rather throw $70 into buying the cars for the Horizon Express than buy the whole set for $120 and be stuck with the engine that I wouldn't be able to do nothing with...

Thanks for the insights, everyone. I ended up spotting a new listing on eBay for the 7939 and got it for retail price + shipping. After tinkering around with it a bit I'll see where I stand on wanting to get new parts, cars, engines, etc. The only other train I have is the Constitution from the Lone Ranger sets, I figure with these two I'll be able to get a decent sized layout and figure out where to go next. People around here seem to speak pretty highly about the Horizon Express; it seems like it's a pretty interesting build with a lot of pieces in it for only having the 3 cars.

After purchasing the 60052, I also ended up with about all the parts I need as far as remotes and the like are concerned and only build my own MOCs. I will grab the next Creator train to come out as a replacement for the HE.

Last time I spoke to someone at the Lego store, he mentioned that there would be a new train coming out in 2015, so that may be sooner than you think!

I just buy cars/wagons. Makes more sense. I'd rather throw $70 into buying the cars for the Horizon Express than buy the whole set for $120 and be stuck with the engine that I wouldn't be able to do nothing with...

I'll take it... :wink:

Edited by detjensrobert

Is that like $70 for both or $70 for one? I've been looking for another set of cars for me HE, but all I've seen is $70/each. On that train, I'd sooner buy the whole set and a Bricklink order for the windows to change the engine into a passenger wagon. When you say "stuck with the engine that I wouldn't be able to do nothing with" it sounds like you forgot it can be rebuilt into anything.

This not to say I haven't purchased cars alone, but only from the City-style train (7939 and the like). I was paying between $13-18 per car when they were available. At the time ebay had a few sellers who were constantly parting out City-Train sets. When it came to the HE, EN, & Maersk, I think buying the whole set is money better spent. They have a much higher starting price. I can't speak for the HE, but with the Maersk, the engines will probably end up with a good secondary market if anything if you didn't plan to use or keep them :classic:

Jfox: get the HE, since in the US we can still get it at the normal price.

It will be fun to build, and you'll have no problem selling it in a year, once it's been retired, if you don't like it anymore.

I started less than a year ago. Missed on the Emerald Knight, unfortunately.

Got the 7939, the an old haul and cargo fitted with PF on eBay, and the Horizon Express.

That got me reintroduced to lego and led me to be able to understand what to order from BL and trying some MOCs.

Value-wise, trains are expensive, though lego trains are not more expensive than quality model trains.

Each engine or full-size passenger car can start at $50, more if the engine includes a motor or other electronics.

So from that point of view, whole sets are not a bad investment.

As others have mentioned, wheels, axles, couplers are not cheap, and they add up quickly.

But again, it's a hobby.. have a budget that you're comfortable with, then spend it and enjoy every bit of it, it's not about the money, it's about having fun!

The only other thing that I need would be axles and couplings. And lord, those really start adding up when you consder that each constructed bogey starts out around $7.50 in parts when you include the couplers. I refrain from telling my wife how much I have invested in the Ghost Train ver 1.02 with the 4-6-0 locomotive, tender, mail car (contains PF bits), drop deck car, 2 jail cars, and the caboose. At least many of the parts for the locomotive cam from the actual Ghost Train set which I got for half price, but it grew by a bunch.

Same here. I seem to keep running out of bogies. If I don't have to uncouple units, I would use a drawbar so I don't have to Bricklink more couplers. :classic:

I started less than a year ago. Missed on the Emerald Knight, unfortunately.

Not unfortunate at all. I took the opportunity of missing the Emerald Knight and the Lone Ranger Constitution Train and built my own creation using a handful of concepts from both and in a scale that works nicely with other train built by people in my local LUGs. Next on my list, make an 8 wide train in a style kinda like the Maersk, but a little more future retro art deco........ Yea, that is what I want to build but my brain craps out on how to fill in the bits in between the front and the back of the locomotive. I will get back on this MOC in a few weeks with a new perspective.

But again, it's a hobby.. have a budget that you're comfortable with, then spend it and enjoy every bit of it, it's not about the money, it's about having fun!

The absolute best advice ever! Rememeber, in the end, Lego is a hobby that is about having fun and not getting dragged down by the politics of TLG company policies, the price of sets/parts, or clashing with people in a user group of some type. If you have any of those three things happen, then you need to reset and remember this is a hobby that is meant to bring joy and fun.

Most of all build what you want to make yourself happy. And forget the opinions of others who put what you build down. It is about self satisfaction.

Enough of this for now. I will step down from the soap box (as we would say in America) and stop my tub thumping (as they would say across the pond.) Cheers!

I started with the 60052 Cargo Train - primarily for the locomotive (which had the most aesthetic appeal to me of the options retailing about 6 months ago). Parted out most of the cars / other junk on Ebay to recoup all but about $60 (which seems a fair price for the loco + PF).

Since then I've been an Ebay lurker. I've picked up an old passenger and freight car (original sets unknown) for about $30 each. I built a simple rolling stock much akin to 60052's, and a poor excuse for a caboose. I continue to lurk Ebay - it seems if you're a train novice, like myself, and simply looking to acquire some basic cars, you can find a couple a week that sell for around $30 (without box or instructions). Instructions will add an extra $10-15 onto that. High demand cars (like component of the Meirsk or Emrald) or a "in original packaging" start to get up into that $70+ range real quickly - so I don't even bother with them.

If you're a rookie, though, I'm a proponent of Ebay. Just spend a few weeks making sure you have a sense of what a fair price is for what you're looking for, and stick to your guns on not overpaying in the bid-frenzies that can break out in the final hours. Patience pays off in that market.

If you like the general design of a set but don't care about NIB, I'd suggest downloading the instructions, get a copy of LDraw or LDD, and cad the train up in a new color. I think I have seen the EN built in black, red, regular green, brown, and blue. The reason I suggest doing a CAD first is that you might have to (or in some case want to) make modifications to the design. Of course if you are a better "by hand" builder, you can make it work that way too, though to save money, you could use place-holder pieces for temporarily holding the spot of parts you have yet to order.

In any event, as you are building, keep an eye on bricklink to make sure you do not use non-existent or stupid-expensive parts (as well as your collection... in case you might already have some of those rare parts)

I like re-colouring. I wanted to add another unpowered 7725 to make a total of six cars. Initially I was thinking of another red version to match, but when browsing bricklink for parts I discovered this white/blue/red striped train door which was only issued in one set, and not a train one at that. There was even one vendor that had six for sale at a good price. I could not resist and this is the result!

IMG_6464.jpg