First of all, thank you for this competition. I haven't made any Technic MOCs in a couple of years, but I was inspired by this competition. Here's my entry:

Ornithopter, made with parts from 9394:

9394-1.jpg?1

The functions:

- Flapping wings

- Hand-of-God steering

- Rudder moves when steering

- Fake engine

ornithopter01.jpg

ornithopter03.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5281.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

ornithopter04.jpg

Leftover parts:

ornithopter6.jpg

Here's a little video:

Updated with some hopefully better photos

Edited by Baelyrn

Cool build. One question, why is it orange, shouldn't it be red?

I think that's just my lack of skill in photography

Really nice. Very smooth wingmovement, allthough it looks a bit too geared down.

The fake engine is a nice touch.

It has a bit of a steampunk touch to it...

I think that's just my lack of skill in photography

Sorry it was my computer screen, I had very low brightness and a strange filter.

Sorry it was my computer screen, I had very low brightness and a strange filter.

I changed the pictures, the old ones were a bit orange.

Is there any chance to get instructions or an LXF file? I would like to build it

I'm not familiar with making instructions or an .lxf file. But I have been thinking about learning.

I have couple of weeks of holiday coming at Christmas time, so if I can get over my laziness, I might be able to learn to make something.

Is there any chance to get instructions or an LXF file? I would like to build it

I would like to build it also. It's a fantastic idea, surely limited by the contest rules. However I can imagine, to give a "renaissance" or "da vinci" look to it. Maybe some control for the rudder and power functions :thumbup:.

Yes, I would have liked to add more functions to it, a moving control stick as well as pitch and roll movement. But had to settle for what I got.

A motor powering the wings would make adding more functions to it easier.

There are a couple of designs on youtube with more of a "da vinci" -look:

Well, as promised I have finally made an .lxf-file. It took a bit more time than I anticipated. This was my first time with Lego Digital Designer and I ran into some problems getting things aligned and gave up on it. But I wanted to finish it before I took the model apart, so here it comes:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Baelyrn/Ornithopter/ornithopter_by_baelyrn.lxf

I wasn't able to connect the wings to the model so they are separate. Also some parts aren't connected properly, but I hope it's clear enough if anyone wants to build it.

If someone's willing to look at the file and maybe give me some pointers about how I could have done it better, I would appreciate it. I know there are some alternatives to LDD, maybe one of those would be better for models like this.

I had a little play, and was able to attach the wings to the arms.. but not put the whole arm in the body... it's all about the order that you connect parts together, and using the hinge mode, to angle things, before aligning and connecting them..

will have a better go later on, and post it back (unless someone beats me!)

I only just got this jet a little while ago - and it's due for pulling apart.. so I might try building this soon! :) great job anyway!

That is one very clever and inspired alternate model !

Hats off to you, Baelyrn !

And thank you for sharing your file. I built it yesterday and the whole family really enjoys it !

In order to make the crank smooth, I did have to replace as many mobile pins as possible with their available frictionless counterpart

Also, not compulsory at all, but a motor surely adds to the magic :wink:

I fixed the .lxf (rebuilt it actually, easier). Frictionless pins are placed on the wings and I also included mounting point for a M/L motor using spare parts only

Here you go, please share and/or modify at will : http://we.tl/g08mwLLVcE

Edited by autoreverse

That's great, I'm glad you liked it.

During building the wings seemed flimsy with frictionless pins so I decided to go with the friction ones. But the wings might not have had all the supports at that point so maybe the frictionless would have been better at the end.

Thanks for the .lxf-file. I still have a lot to learn about the LEGO digital designer

3 hours ago, ALegoGeek said:

Thank you so much for your instructions I used them with some modifcations.

I'm glad you liked it. Nice mods, you made a good looking model.

It was nice to see my name with Da Vinci at the end.