mccoyed

McCoyed's 3rd Anniversary Historica CMF Series

15288431663_79223f767d_z.jpg

The whole series is based organized by guild and vocation.

From front to back: Mitgardia, Avalonia, Kaliplin, Nocturnus.

From left to right: Laborer, Warrior, Artisan, Noble.

15720601658_4d04571f99_z.jpg

Though much of Mitgardia has moved on from the Old Ways, the west is still home to many traditional clans. The Jarl is the war leader and representative of a clan, to whom the warriors swear conditional fealty. The Jarl provides the direction and doles out the treasure, arms, and other resources of the clan in exchange for the service of the warriors. This Jarl straddles two worlds, the old and the new, with his patriotic display of Mitgardian colors contrasting with the traditional arm-ring of the western clans.

15722034119_320edea56a_z.jpg

The dwarves of Mitgardia are esteemed craftspeople. Stone is one of their favorite mediums, allowing dwarves to turn their monuments and settlements into awe-inspiring sights down to the most minute detail. This young woman has a flamboyant streak, decorating the obligatory hardened dwarven head gear with a colorful jewel and golden plume.

15722034069_dd121b2011_z.jpg

The Shield Wall is an ancient battlefield technique that can allow a disciplined and brave band of warriors to take on much greater forces. This woman has tossed aside the traditional role of women in Mitgardia in favor of taking up a place in a Shield Wall. A veteran of many campaigns, she is a fierce and striking figure.

15882283826_f5c1de4c6f_z.jpg

There are many tribes of beastmen throughout Historica, but the best trackers are the Snow Stalkers of the Northern Wolf People. With his camouflaged cloak, tough leather armor, and canine companion, this Snow Stalker is prepared to take on any of the many dangers of the North. His speciality is the hunting of wargs.

15288433493_fced6a6469_z.jpg

The elves of Avalonia are well known for their affinity with nature and the ephemeral magics of life itself. Druidism originated with the elves, and they are still its most fervent practitioners. In the secluded wooded realms of the most isolationist elven bands, High Druids tend to be community leaders, responsible for the spiritual and ecological well-being of everyone. This High Druid has not been in her position long, but her will power and confidence are unshakeable.

15720785570_5e951e9026_z.jpg

Avalonia has a proud tradition of poetry and music. Bards are travelling entertainers that often move around Historica as their wanderlust drives them from place to place. However, Avalonian nobles and knights love to hire bards on retainer as part of their households. Patronage of the arts and the ability to entertain important guests are crucial parts of life for the gentry, giving bards higher status in society than your average street minstrel. This lovely bard is sings to the lute, favoring rousing ballads of heroic deeds.

15906102731_7a5074ca4f_z.jpg

Avalonians love to hand out knighthoods, but the problem is there often isn't enough land to go with all the titles. Hedge Knights are landless, traveling warriors who either sell their swords into the service of a noble or tour the various tourneys and jousts that are held all over the land. This Hedge Knight has been at it for many years, and hasn't lost his fire for the melee.

15722034949_2c5407e905_z.jpg

The lush forests and wetlands of Avalonia are home to a shocking variety of important plants and animals. Herbalists spend most of their time deep in the wilderness, gathering reagents to sell to healers and alchemists. Herbalism is a common trade in Historica and an important part of the economy, and no one does it better than the Avalonians. This herbalist, average in most respects, would have a grasp of herblore that would trump even a professor at the University of Petraeus.

15907436682_33d312dcf2_z.jpg

Kaliphin cities often have more nobles around than anybody needs. It has always been common for duels, feuds, and reprisals to thin their numbers but in some cities it's become a great affair of ritual, pomp, and circumstance. Bravos are Kaliphlinite nobles who do very little besides practice swordplay, talk about swordplay, and challenge each other to duels.

15722035339_3cb270f530_z.jpg

Glassblowing was long the province of secretive guilds that could command blown glass at incredibly rich prices. In recent decades, the old guild system has broken down and freed the discipline to any who would learn it. This journeyman glassblower traveled with a Lion Tribe caravan his entire childhood before his parents apprenticed him to a glassblower. Now he and his master have taken up residency in Ruadh.

15288433833_00c415a7e2_z.jpg

The Goldpikes are a famed mercenary group that work exclusively in the beautiful lands of southwestern Kaliphlin. Unlike many such groups, the Goldpikes are exclusively women who hire themselves either individually or in small groups to local lords. The Goldpikes often claim their arms and armor are made of expensive Githril, a testament to the wealth they earn by being so good at their jobs. This Goldpike serves a Kaliphlin ambassador and is therefore required to fly the official Guild colors alongside her company's gold and white.

15908088305_914e6a27c2_z.jpg

In most parts of Kaliphlin, oil extraction is limited to digging around whatever seeps out of the ground. Many fortuneseekers dig trenches in regions surrounding known oil patches, hoping that their next shovelful of sand will make them rich. This oildigger appears to have gotten lucky, as the black gunk in his shovel and on his hand is indeed the famous Kaliphlin black oil.

15907436022_47b1f4c2ab_z.jpg

Long ago, magic ruled most of the lands now belonging to the Nocturnus Guild. Though most of the ancient Magisters, the rulers of that bygone era, have long vanished, a few remain. The only way they can maintain their lives and their power is through truly dark magics, including necromancy and diabolism. Though they are not truly undead themselves, Magisters are often associated with them.

15908088195_57c753af3b_z.jpg

Blood is one of the truly unique economic commodities in Nocturnus. Like anything else, however, there are degrees of quality. Sanguinists are the artisans of the Blood Trade. They are the tasters, testers, mixers, and connoisseurs. Many become famous for their tastes and their scathing critiques of lack-luster vintages. Though most Sanguinists are vampires, this woman is not. No one knows whether the white of her skin is glamour, makeup, or her true flesh. She is the Red Lady, a famous Sanguinist that no one knows anything about.

15720784550_137e181b62_z.jpg

This Faelite pikeman serves one of the many petty kings and nobles of his people in their near-constant wars for control of their patch of Nothern Nocturnus. Humans are uncommon in Nocturnus, though the pale-skinned Faelites are well known. A phalanx of Faelite pikemen is a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield. No pikeman fights alone, though they cut just as impressive a figure as when they are viewed in full formation.

15906103061_f1fb3f02dc_z.jpg

Those who need unseemly things can often find them in Nocturnus. The trouble is, it also means dealings with unseemly creatures. It is unknown how many of them are out there, scouring the battlefields and boneyards of Nocturnus for their livelihoods. No one knows if there is one or many, and a glut of myths and stories have developed about the Bonegatherer. Even the most frightening denizens of Nocturnus tell their spawn to be wary of the Bonegatherer without ever knowing, truly, why they should be.

You've got some great figures here. I love your Sculptor, High Druid, Bard, Glassblower & Magister. It is always great to see non-warrior figures to flesh out the rest of Historica society. I didn't think to focus on that with my series and after seeing so many great entries I wish I had thought of that aspect more.

There are some great combos here! I really like your Herbalist, Sanguinist and Magister.

Great series! It's good to see so many workers, and not only warriors. (not only here but in other entries as well)

My favorite are the Tracker, the Herbalist (obviously)the Glassblower and the Magister.

Some amazing figs mccoyed;) The sculptor, the goldpike, the glassblower and the magister are my favourite!

Very cool series, and the pictures look good as well.

The shield maiden is a sweet fig :wub: The tracker, herbalist, bravo, and sanguinist are great too :classic:

All of these are good, but my favorites have to be the bard (perfect face!) and the glass blower.

Excellent series and presentation, it's cool to see everyone's counterparts across the guilds, especially in the trade/artisan field. This is definitely one of the most creative series entered so far, and it's hard to pick favorites here... Like mrcp6d said, the bard is spot on but the magistrate and Goldpike are sweet figs. Nice work!

Nice series, I especially love the Sculptor and the Magister

Thanks Tomsche!

You've got some great figures here. I love your Sculptor, High Druid, Bard, Glassblower & Magister. It is always great to see non-warrior figures to flesh out the rest of Historica society. I didn't think to focus on that with my series and after seeing so many great entries I wish I had thought of that aspect more.

My early sketches were tons and tons of warriors and I had to narrow it down to categories and be pretty disciplined about it to keep from doing too much of the same thing. It's tough! Warriors are fun and Lego has so many elements for that.

There are some great combos here! I really like your Herbalist, Sanguinist and Magister.

Thanks!

Awesome series! Nice use of the face for the bard!

Thanks!

Great series! Love the Bonegatherer, and the Goldpike.

Thanks LV!

This is a great series!! The goldpike and sculptor are great, they look fantastic!

Both of those are faves of mine too.

Great series! It's good to see so many workers, and not only warriors. (not only here but in other entries as well)

My favorite are the Tracker, the Herbalist (obviously)the Glassblower and the Magister.

Thanks Yooh! Why obviously?

The Tracker is great, i love that new Dog :laugh:

Me too. I often have to restrain myself from putting it in every build.

Nicely done, The Magister is epic. Also love some of the purposing like the glassblower.

My wife was very critical about earlier versions of the Magister and helped to bring it to life.

Some amazing figs mccoyed;) The sculptor, the goldpike, the glassblower and the magister are my favourite!

Wow, glad to see so many (with great entries themselves) pick out so many of mine as favorites!

Very cool series, and the pictures look good as well.

The shield maiden is a sweet fig :wub: The tracker, herbalist, bravo, and sanguinist are great too :classic:

Thanks SK! I love the shieldmaiden too. I wanted to use that hairpiece for a viking-style build ever since I saw it.

All of these are good, but my favorites have to be the bard (perfect face!) and the glass blower.

Thanks. The bard is my absolute favorite and another one my wife wouldn't let me put down until she was perfect. The glassblower is another one that took many revisions.

Excellent series and presentation, it's cool to see everyone's counterparts across the guilds, especially in the trade/artisan field. This is definitely one of the most creative series entered so far, and it's hard to pick favorites here... Like mrcp6d said, the bard is spot on but the magistrate and Goldpike are sweet figs. Nice work!

Thanks ME. I've been watching closely to make sure my stuff was different enough from that of other entrants. I think the closest is Robuko's dwarven artificer, who feels like a CMF gender-swap with my sculptor. I actually wish I'd teamed up with others, unofficially, to more closely emulate TLG's tendency to do gender-swapped alternates/companions for their various themes. For example, male and female cyclops! Haha.

Nice series, my favorites are the Tracker, Herbalist, Glass-blower and Pikeman :thumbup:

I have to say that I prefer using only one skin color a build or series though :wink:

Great series, mccoyed!

The dwarf sculptor is great! I also like the bard, especially the face. Nice parts usage for the glassblower and the pikeman!

Nice series, my favorites are the Tracker, Herbalist, Glass-blower and Pikeman :thumbup:

I have to say that I prefer using only one skin color a build or series though :wink:

It's actually part of the lore for the Faelites that they are particularly pale-skinned, hence the fleshies.

But honestly, why do people care about mixing flesh tone with yellow? Why is this a thing that someone always brings up when they see a mix, or a color they don't personally prefer? I've never understood it and it seems arbitrary and just about personal preference. If there's no compelling general reason to avoid mixing, I don't see why it matters and I can't personally care about any silly debate about which style is better (which you see from time to time in AFOL circles). I don't think mixing is objectively ugly or confusing or detracting from the quality of a MOC, and I don't understand why some, such as yourself, dislike it enough to mention it as if I should care or as if it is a legitimate criticism of a build.

I don't mean any offense to anyone here (especially you, Garmadon! :D), but I honestly just don't understand and anytime I've asked about it after someone mentions it, I get very unsatisfactory explanations.

Some really good figs here, great concepts too especially with the black oil dude, sculptor, and the herbologist, none of which I would ever have thought of! :thumbup:

...But honestly, why do people care about mixing flesh tone with yellow? Why is this a thing that someone always brings up when they see a mix, or a color they don't personally prefer? I've never understood it and it seems arbitrary and just about personal preference. If there's no compelling general reason to avoid mixing, I don't see why it matters and I can't personally care about any silly debate about which style is better (which you see from time to time in AFOL circles). I don't think mixing is objectively ugly or confusing or detracting from the quality of a MOC, and I don't understand why some, such as yourself, dislike it enough to mention it as if I should care or as if it is a legitimate criticism of a build...

Well, it's just that, a personal preference; some people do think it's ugly or confusing or detracting from quality and so they mention it. I think using tan, dk. tan, light grey and dk. grey all for the same wall detracts from an MOC (though I don't usually mention it because obviously lots of other people don't think so), mixing flesh and yellow is the same to some people. Granted not all things of this sort are merely personal preferences, still the line is hard to draw, so if someone else is expressing preference for a border and not just a green baseplate ending, why shouldn't I mention that I prefer all one skin color?

(Sometimes it does seem to get hyped on a bit much, especially because beyond a certain point there's no convincing someone, and it doesn't really matter anyways, but when someone comments like that, I'd take it as a friendly "If you want me to like your builds better, stick with one color head," and you can take that or leave it - and I don't mean to say that you were taking Garmadon's comment in a bad way, of course!)

It's actually part of the lore for the Faelites that they are particularly pale-skinned, hence the fleshies.

But honestly, why do people care about mixing flesh tone with yellow? Why is this a thing that someone always brings up when they see a mix, or a color they don't personally prefer? I've never understood it and it seems arbitrary and just about personal preference. If there's no compelling general reason to avoid mixing, I don't see why it matters and I can't personally care about any silly debate about which style is better (which you see from time to time in AFOL circles). I don't think mixing is objectively ugly or confusing or detracting from the quality of a MOC, and I don't understand why some, such as yourself, dislike it enough to mention it as if I should care or as if it is a legitimate criticism of a build.

I don't mean any offense to anyone here (especially you, Garmadon! :D), but I honestly just don't understand and anytime I've asked about it after someone mentions it, I get very unsatisfactory explanations.

I understand what you mean, and I was not saying that you ought to change if you did not want to. As Kai said, I simply meant that I personally prefer a single skin tone, as I also prefer not mixing old and new dark grey, for example. The fact is, though, that I wasn't sure whether or not to include that as you have done a very good job here in making them mix without distracting much from the series, and as it was done for lore purposes it is certainly understandable :classic:

When someone comments like that, I'd take it as a friendly "If you want me to like your builds better, stick with one color head," and you can take that or leave it...

Exactly :wink:

Some really good figs here, great concepts too especially with the black oil dude, sculptor, and the herbologist, none of which I would ever have thought of! :thumbup:

Well, it's just that, a personal preference; some people do think it's ugly or confusing or detracting from quality and so they mention it. I think using tan, dk. tan, light grey and dk. grey all for the same wall detracts from an MOC (though I don't usually mention it because obviously lots of other people don't think so), mixing flesh and yellow is the same to some people. Granted not all things of this sort are merely personal preferences, still the line is hard to draw, so if someone else is expressing preference for a border and not just a green baseplate ending, why shouldn't I mention that I prefer all one skin color?

(Sometimes it does seem to get hyped on a bit much, especially because beyond a certain point there's no convincing someone, and it doesn't really matter anyways, but when someone comments like that, I'd take it as a friendly "If you want me to like your builds better, stick with one color head," and you can take that or leave it - and I don't mean to say that you were taking Garmadon's comment in a bad way, of course!)

Yeah. I wanted my figs to be representative of their guilds.

As for the fig colors, well, I always understood that it was personal preference. It just feels like baggage that gets dragged into any MOC where the builder mixes colors. It's like this weird debate happened about it and everybody decided on etiquette that I was never around to take a side on. I've gotten called on mixing before, and seen it happen. It's just very weird to me that people feel the need to state their preferences about this. It would be as if I commented on MOCs by pointing out my favorite color is blue and x builder used more blue.

I understand what you mean, and I was not saying that you ought to change if you did not want to. As Kai said, I simply meant that I personally prefer a single skin tone, as I also prefer not mixing old and new dark grey, for example. The fact is, though, that I wasn't sure whether or not to include that as you have done a very good job here in making them mix without distracting much from the series, and as it was done for lore purposes it is certainly understandable :classic:

Why bother mentioning it though? I mean, I'm surprised it's not treated the same as any other color preferences. If I used green for water and it made no sense and people said blue looked better, at least there'd be some reasoning there. The flesh vs. yellow thing? What's the basis for the preference? It's exactly as arbitrary and personal as a favorite color or food or sports team. If that's all there is to it, I guess I'll ignore it.

Great variety, and great posing. I particularly like the sculptor, glass-blower (yay Ruadh!), hedge knight, and sanguinist.

The back-stories on each are great; the time and effort you must have spent on these really pays off.