Sign in to follow this  
BrickSev

Would you recommend 10243 Parisian Restaurant?

Hello fellow AFOL, I'd need your assistance.

I'm thinking about buying the 10243 Parisian Restaurant but I'm not sure if it would be the perfect choice.

Don't misunderstand me, I know it's an impressive set and, with 2469 pieces, it's not even an expensive one ( price per brick, speaking :classic: )

I also have 20€ of VIP points to redeem, plus the current 5% discount, so I would buy it for a very interesting price.

However I'm currently working on the creation of Brickfilms and Lego comics so I was wondering if it could have a role in those projects, instead of simply be a display piece (even though a great one)

I noticed the "rooms" are not very large so I'm not sure if 10243 could be a great set for Brickfilms, comics, dioramas etc.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I never saw the set in person (only in photos/videos) so any advice would help me in making a decision :wink:

Thanks again :classic:

I would say buy all the modular houses, they are all great! The Parisian Restaurant is also very detailed both outside and inside. And you mention Brickfilms, comics, dioramas and the outside balcony/restaurant area is just perfect for that. And also the room under the roof where you can just lift up one side of the roof and display all its interior, that would also be perfect for a filmset.

As for the other rooms, I don't know how you are filming them, but you can just dismantle the sidewalls to be able to better film some action on the inside... and that goes for all the modular houses, but I agree that some of them have larger rooms inside.

I would say buy all the modular houses, they are all great! The Parisian Restaurant is also very detailed both outside and inside. And you mention Brickfilms, comics, dioramas and the outside balcony/restaurant area is just perfect for that. And also the room under the roof where you can just lift up one side of the roof and display all its interior, that would also be perfect for a filmset.

As for the other rooms, I don't know how you are filming them, but you can just dismantle the sidewalls to be able to better film some action on the inside... and that goes for all the modular houses, but I agree that some of them have larger rooms inside.

Thank you very much for you reply :classic:

The "sidewalls part" is the problem I was thinking about, but if they can be easily "dismantled" (and then reassembled :wink: ) it will make filming on the inside easier.

What made me think about buying this set is the fact it can "host" a lot of scenes. With some imagination and few "add on" it can even used for Sci-Fi settings.

Not too mention everything from "modern life" even an action movie.

Thank you again for the info :classic:

If you want a modular, I think the parisian is the best modular out there. I have a few and this one is on another level of details. Might be a little hard to get inside views, but I'm pretty sure you can mod it enough to get you perfect shot.

as others have said: Buy it! The PR is perhaps the best lego set I currently own. Can't recommend it enough! And I think it does have advantages for filming inside that other modulars do not have, especially the opening roof section

The PR is a beautiful set and it uses several advanced building techniques. However, that in itself does not support brickfilms.

You can use the outside of the restaurant, but in order to add scenes inside the restaurant, you would need to build it without some of the walls. And for different shots you would need to swap walls. Sounds cumbersome.

The PR might not be able to drive the action in your films - the upcoming bar/detective house could be the better choice.

If you want a modular, I think the parisian is the best modular out there. I have a few and this one is on another level of details. Might be a little hard to get inside views, but I'm pretty sure you can mod it enough to get you perfect shot.

Thank you very much for the info :classic: I looked at many pictures of the various modular buildings and I agree with you: it has an amazing level of details. I think among the currently available modular buildings it is the one with highest number of pieces :classic:

Run, don't walk, to the nearest lego store and buy the PR.

I did even better :wink: Ordered from Lego Shop with the current 5% discount plus 20€ of VIP discount. I paid the set (without count shipping, of course) about 122€

I'm so pleased with that deal and I can't wait to start building it.

as others have said: Buy it! The PR is perhaps the best lego set I currently own. Can't recommend it enough! And I think it does have advantages for filming inside that other modulars do not have, especially the opening roof section

I can't wait to start building. The photos I saw around seem to suggest it is indeed a great set and since most of the best Lego sets are even better when we see them "in person" I have high expectations for the Parisian :classic:

I noticed the "roof section" potentialities as soon I saw the set and we can detach it from the main building at will. It can surely help.

The PR is a beautiful set and it uses several advanced building techniques. However, that in itself does not support brickfilms.

You can use the outside of the restaurant, but in order to add scenes inside the restaurant, you would need to build it without some of the walls. And for different shots you would need to swap walls. Sounds cumbersome.

The PR might not be able to drive the action in your films - the upcoming bar/detective house could be the better choice.

Brickfilming is just one of the many projects I'm currently working on, so if it appears the Restaurant is an uneasy set, I can still use it for dioramas and comics.

It's indeed such a beautiful set It would be a shame not to add it to my collection :classic: I think I would have regretted it, if I didn't get it before it is sold out.

Thank you to everyone for your advices. They have been very helpful :classic: I'll post pics of the set as soon as possible, including several projects that will feature it :classic:

Of course

It seems the Parisian Restaurant only gets positive opinions :wink: I'm glad I ordered mine. I can't wait. I have a lot of Lego sets waiting to be built but I'm thinking to put it on the top of the list :classic:

If you r a collector, then it is a MUST

If you are a building fan, then it is a MUST

If you are after a stylish set, then it is a MUST

If you want to add a great value to your city wave/project , then it is a MUSt

Total = MUST :laugh:

And if you really, really hate it: it's still a MUST.

Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated.

Oh Man!...looks like the Hatred level is soo high in you for this Set!

If you r a collector, then it is a MUST

If you are a building fan, then it is a MUST

If you are after a stylish set, then it is a MUST

If you want to add a great value to your city wave/project , then it is a MUSt

Total = MUST :laugh:

Well I guess it is a must :wink: I'm mostly a Lego Star Wars collector but I do love to build a little town ( I like a certain degree of variety :classic: ) and surely I love a stylish set.

I got mine just few minutes ago (super fast delivery, like always with Lego shop) I can't wait to start building it.

I appreciated the "classic quote" :wink: it's really difficult to resist. I think I'll get the Detective office as soon as it is released.

Those set will be assimilated, and "assembled" :wink: , into my collection.

Well I guess it is a must :wink: I'm mostly a Lego Star Wars collector but I do love to build a little town ( I like a certain degree of variety :classic: ) and surely I love a stylish set.

I got mine just few minutes ago (super fast delivery, like always with Lego shop) I can't wait to start building it.

Congratiolations on having the set!.....indeed you gonna Enjoy it piece by piece :)

Just to clear up any possible confusion: I absolutely love PR.

And, even though I have my doubts, I know I will get DA as soon as it's released as well.

I learned from the past. It's best, believe me. Go with the flow.

And congrats to BrickSev on acquiring the set!

Edited by Withacee

Congratiolations on having the set!.....indeed you gonna Enjoy it piece by piece :)

Thank you :classic: I already have a couple of ideas about some diorama/scene for it.

Just to clear up any possible confusion: I absolutely love PR.

And, even though I have my doubts, I know I will get DA as soon as it's released as well.

I learned from the past. It's best, believe me. Go with the flow.

And congrats to BrickSev on acquiring the set!

Thank you :classic:

I know I'll get the Detective office too. The interesting fact about modular buildings is you can use them not only for "city scenes". If you don't mind too much about "continuity issues" (and honestly the fun of Lego comes from not caring too much about it :wink: ) you can use them for all your favorite themes. I know I'll use the PR as set for several, hopefully funny, Sci-Fi scenes as well.

The Parisian Restaurant is an excellent set for display and play value. I think you are going to have trouble using the interior for brick films unless you film towards the narrow wall of the building. The exterior is very dynamic and if you would make for a decent setting for your films. While you are building it you could modify it to have the back walls open.

The Parisian Restaurant is an excellent set for display and play value. I think you are going to have trouble using the interior for brick films unless you film towards the narrow wall of the building. The exterior is very dynamic and if you would make for a decent setting for your films. While you are building it you could modify it to have the back walls open.

I'll start building it very soon, after I complete several ongoing projects :wink:

The first time I looked at the box I was very impressed and I'm sure it will have a very important place in my collection.

If it's too difficult to make Brickfilms it won't be a huge problem. I can either modify it as you suggested or I can use it for comics and dioramas: more easy to take photos since I don't have to keep the same "angle" for the stop motion sequence.

Thank you for the info :classic:

I'm glad I bought it and I think it will be joined by the Detective office very soon :classic: