James Mathis

Super Mega Steam Power Train Builder-- LEGO(R) IDEAS(tm)

Hello James! I first must start by saying that I really love this idea - ever since Cuusoo started I've had the thought of trying to start a spiritual successor project to the hobby train, but I didn't really have the experience to pull off a good parts list. I'm really liking what I'm seeing here so far, and I too have a few thoughts on the project -

Firstly, I think there is something more to be said about the colour. The wheel colours are liable to be hit or miss pretty much everywhere - many, many train builders model after those great BR steamers with the black finish and the great red wheels - so certainly this is a very attractive choice, especially given the rarity of those colours. However, I know for me personally I am not liable to be building much of anything with big red drivers. There simply aren't many local prototypes that I could model after that they'd work for, so from a parts pack perspective it's got a ton of the parts I'd want... in the wrong colour. Again, though, this is the kind of thing that changes depending on nationalities and tastes, and it's probably split pretty even. I'm not sure what the solution to the problem would be except perhaps to suggest that the set could come with some of each colour of wheel - 8 small wheels and 6 drivers of each black and red. Just a thought.

Second, Ideas projects have a very hard time getting the full 10,000 votes unless they've got a ton of popularity from a license (MineCraft, Shawn of the Dead, BttF), and so not having that advantage is going to require more than just an amazing model to overcome, especially in the Trains niche. It may be a good idea also to get some strong support from the AFOL train community to help spur more interest. The hobby train was a great concept, especially since it had so many models from different builders and regions. They didn't all match up, but it was pretty apparent that it was a very flexible set. Obviously that had it's own logistical problems, such as the fact that only one of the advertised models had instructions, but I think there are ways around that. What you've got here right now is a good, solid modular model system that is a great focal point.

My suggestion on that front, then, would be to make a custom LDD parts selection (The guys in the LDD section of the forum know how to do this), this would allow people who use that theme to make sure they are building strictly with the parts that will be included in the set. There are a lot of talented train builders in the community, If you can find some other builders who would be willing to play with the set parts digitally and make their own models using strictly the parts from the sets, you could start getting ever more exposure through them. The other builder's models don't have to be a focal point of the Ideas page as what you've got already is very strong and solid - but it would sure add a lot of good depth; and I think if you can get the guys in the AFOL community excited about the versatility and opportunities to build even more detailed and advanced models, you'd be able to bring in even more support. This would bring all the benefits and next to none of the risk of what happened with the Hobby Train - the main builds of the set are already very versatile and attractive, so with just the simple base set you have a very coherent theme and models. That avoids both the HT's thematic mishmash and the fact that only 1 out of the 30 advertised models could be box, but you could have the LDD alternate models to bring that great depth and variety that was so awesome about the set. Yes, those models would still have the same trappings of being digital files only, but your set isn't going to suffer for it as it's really the desert of the set.

Furthermore, if you got, just for example, someone like Carl Greatrix or Cale Leiphart to come up with an alt design or two, it's probably a safe bet there'd be people supporting the project just for a chance to build one of their models. Heck, maybe even have a couple designs that showcase what could be done with multiple copies of the set - if I know I'm liable to buy two or three anyways, it sure would be cool to see there was an LDD file out there somewhere for a Mallet Loco I could build with just the set parts.

Those thoughts aside, though, this is already a fantastic set idea and I'm definitely supporting it - and I will definitely buy more than one if when it makes it. Good luck!

Black and red wheels = YES! Broaden the appeal.

AFOL train community support is essential.

I wasn't aware of folks being able to make a custom theme of parts in LDD-- that is so cool! (I'd love to have an LDD part list theme that includes only S@H Pick-a-Brick elements.)

More builders.

More designers.

More input on the part palette.

More alternate models = more Super Mega!

I would love to see the models that designers such as the esteemed Carl, Cale, and SavaTheAggie, and all-callers could create. Nothing like a big box of loose train parts to bring out inginuity of brilliance in the face of compromise.

Multiple sets to expand and build bigger = Super Duper Mega!

I really appreciate that you recall the 10183 Hobby Train set collaboration. Getting to collaborate on that set with such talented train designers was an incredible experience for me. Truly an experience greater than the sum of the parts.

Here's looking forward to a next- generation LEGO Hobby Train set. A collaboration would be great. If it could be this Super Mega, then nice. If some other more versatile assembly, then sweet!

I'm a bit out of date and out of touch with the AFOL train community these days. Any support or advise or introductions would be greatly appreciated.

I've posted the Super Mega LXF LDD files for your examination at Brickshelf gallery for any and all those interested to tinker and build with. I very much welcome you to scrutinize my builds or work the challenge of alternate models with the parts within.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=550498

Daedalus504: great thoughtful feedback. Thank you.

Mahalo,

James

Edited by James Mathis

Perhaps some of the other nine design contributors of the Hobby Train set 10183 might be interested in providing their expertise and insight regarding a next-generation Hobby Train set?

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/142340561/LEGO-Hobby-Train---Frequently-Asked-Questions

Holger Matthes

Steve Barile

Pierre Normandin

Tim Gould

Ben Beneke

Jeremy Spurgeon

Mike Walsh

Ben Fleskes

Chris Masi

hobby_train.jpg

All are invited to show and tell, not just these folk, anyone, everyone. The LXF file is there if you want it. I'd love to see what other designs are hidden in the pile of virtual loose brick.

-James

Concering the old 10183 Hobby Train, brickshelf still offers some helpful stuff:

I do not use LEGO Digital Designer and rarely the real bricks these days.

Who else from the 10183 team is still around?

After all these years, is our NDA outdated so we can share pics of other models which did not make it into the list of the top 30 models? Who still got pictures/renders?

Holger

Aloha HoMa,

Thanks for the support and announcements at your webpage and 1000steine.

I tried to click-through to the link to 1000steine, but seems an error message pops up.

mahalo,

-James

Edited by James Mathis

My suggestion on that front, then, would be to make a custom LDD parts selection (The guys in the LDD section of the forum know how to do this), this would allow people who use that theme to make sure they are building strictly with the parts that will be included in the set. There are a lot of talented train builders in the community, If you can find some other builders who would be willing to play with the set parts digitally and make their own models using strictly the parts from the sets, you could start getting ever more exposure through them.

Fantastic! I found the custom UserPalettes thread and created the "UserPalettes" folder (Mac OS) and saved the parts LXF file for SMSPTB.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78072

The SMSPTB user palette LXF will be available for download once the Brickshelf folder is again moderated:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=550498

I welcome suggestions for modifications to the part assortment, such as an equivalent complement of black train wheel large and small, and black train motor side wheel decorative elements.

Thank you so much for the information regarding creating custom "theme" User Palettes. This is fantastic!!

I will be looking for-- or creating my own-- an LXF file of the Shop at Home Pick-a-Brick assortment, as well, since I often like to design from within the PaB selection.

mahalo,

James

Aloha and thanks for the support. Truly appreciated.

If not this SMSPTB set as a 10 grand candidate, then hopefully a train... someone's train will make the grade up the seemingly insurmountable pass of 10k summit.

"I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...," said Our Little Engines that could.

Mahalo,

James

I think the Ideas page would benefit with some super high quality renders of the LXF files. I would help out, but this is something that is way beyond my knowledge.

Edited by BryanKinkel

Unfortunately, I don't know how to render hi-Rez LDD LXF files on a Mac. I would love to. I used to have a good Window OS setup and worked in LDraw, MLCad, POV-Ray, Mega-POV, and LPub. Alas, no longer.

James

Supported and good luck with it from a fellow trainhead.

I notice you mentioned my name a few posts above, feel free to contact me if ever needed and I'll help out where-ever possible / if possible with time, etc. I tend to not put my own trains on Ideas as I always feel they are too "niche" a market, i.e. U.K, and they would have to be dumbed down to be legit which isnt a problem, I just dont get the time ;)

I would be all over a collaborative venture if it were mustered up, IF I could find the time to dedicate to it, which would be a big IF at the moment.

Good luck with the project James, you certainly deserved your first with LEGO, that put you in the history books, I see a good appeal to this idea :)

I notice you mentioned my name a few posts above, feel free to contact me if ever needed and I'll help out where-ever possible / if possible with time, etc. I tend to not put my own trains on Ideas as I always feel they are too "niche" a market, i.e. U.K, and they would have to be dumbed down to be legit which isnt a problem, I just dont get the time ;)

Definately not too niche. Many older Australian locomotives and rolling stock look far more UK than US (The Emerald night gave us a very useful bag of bits) If we all got behind one of your creations as an 'Ultimate Collectors Series' train we might have a shot:)

Unfortunately, I don't know how to render hi-Rez LDD LXF files on a Mac. I would love to. I used to have a good Window OS setup and worked in LDraw, MLCad, POV-Ray, Mega-POV, and LPub. Alas, no longer.

James

These days even a cheap windows laptop seems to do a good job for the LDraw family of tools. The good old days could be found again.

Supported and good luck with it from a fellow trainhead.

Your models are way too good for Lego to ever turn into a set... but even after Lego simplified one of your designs I bet it would give the creator trains stiff competition.

I really like this project! I really like the design of the different components and how they snap together with technic pins. Given I was too young and missed out on a ton of stuff (Hobby Train, Holiday Train, etc) and didn't really appreciate the train stuff until just about a few weeks ago, I would buy as many of these as I can with my money. This could truly be this generation's Hobby Train.