SirBlake

Latest CMF series impact on Historic themes

It is sad really. I came out of my dark ages thanks to the Kingdoms and LoTR theme, just to see them disappear before I could start with them properly. I think everybody agrees on the need for a proper medieval/fantasy theme coming up. At least for us AFOLs. But TLG is producing what sells, and as long there is no increase in interest in medieval fantasy in their target audience (which are not AFOLS), our only chance might be indeed the secondary market or CMFs. And no, 3rd party pieces are not an option to me.

This said, at least for fantasy-purposes, themes like Nexo Knignts and Ninjago have some use, but that comes totally down to personal preferences, if one wants to go with their style, or not.

7 hours ago, x105Black said:

I haven't had any real issues with the feeling method.  Over several series, I've only had a few misses.  That said, I would rather them not be mysterious.  It's a waste of time feeling the packages.

Being able to see what you're buying would definitely make things easier for AFOLs, but my worry in that case is that LEGO might then have less incentive to have figs that aren't "kid favorites". The blind packaging means that LEGO can include figs that might have more niche appeal (including more AFOL-oriented figs) without worrying about those figs lingering on shelves. And one of the great things about the collectible minifigures is their ability to feature more niche figs, rather than just the sorts of figs that are already popular enough to support their own themes.

This isn't strictly CMF-related, but what are people's thoughts on Excalibur Batman? The torso and headgear are obviously Batman-specific, but the shoulder armor and legs could potentially work for historic themes. Even the sword, unrealistic as it may be, might work better for medieval fantasy settings than its dual-colored Nexo Knights equivalent. I'm not too much of a Super Heroes fan myself, so I'm as interested as anyone to see whether the LEGO Batman Movie CMFs and other LEGO Batman Movie sets might offer any other fig parts that would be suited to use in other themes.

If the prices of CMF's continue to rise, then I think they should get rid of the blind bag method. I am generally good at feeling the bags, but they may kill the market in attempt to get closer to the secondary market prices. The secondary market, though, tells you which figure you are getting.

Yes, I want more historic (including Castle) sets, but I do not think anything can replace the role of CMFs. This is where we can new shield sizes, mace, and other molds. The printing on them surpasses even Kingdoms, rivaling Lord of the Rings quality.

I also build in Roman, Victorian, historical Japanese and other time periods. And those periods will never support a wave of sets.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:15 PM, Aanchir said:

This isn't strictly CMF-related, but what are people's thoughts on Excalibur Batman?

There is not much here to get excited about for me. The shoulder gear and legs pretty close to what we already have. The sword is nice but at LEGO Dimensions prices, I can only see getting one as an Easter Egg in a large build.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:15 AM, Aanchir said:

This isn't strictly CMF-related, but what are people's thoughts on Excalibur Batman?

For me I could only use the legs, and to be honest is not a print that make them that interesting. The sword is out of scale totally. :\

My historical & GoT builds/figures are recruted from LotR, Ninjago & CMF. I prefere these designs  to yet another bad line of "classic castle" sets with very childish builds, little details for printing & almost no creativity. The figures from a new theme would have to be very detailed & creative to compete with those of the CMF line. Just think about the "green knight": Dual molded legs with printing (if Aragorn would ever have gotten such a coat?), arm printing, back printing, a new mace mold, dark metal mini short staff piece...

On 17/10/2016 at 2:25 AM, AmperZand said:

My MOCed historical/fantasy Series 16 CMFs with some thematically appropriate additional figs. 

s16_cmf_mocs_1.jpg

Where did come from the sword and his brown "thing" where is kept (I don't remember now, the right name of it :laugh: ) from the Rogue Archer?

On 07/02/2016 at 4:37 PM, AmperZand said:

Me too :wink:

s15_cmf_mocs_2.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish photography.

Did you create the center minfig? Never saw that axe, is that a custom?

And the black mysterious guy, that seems a ninja or samurai... :look:

Edited by Viriatus
typos

2 hours ago, Viriatus said:

Where did come from the sword and his brown "thing" where is kept (I don't remember now, the right name of it :laugh: ) from the Rogue Archer?

The sword is LEGO. The scabbard is by SI-DAN as is the waist piece to which it is attached but you can't see well in the picture.

Did you create the center minfig? Never saw that axe, is that a custom?

Yes, the berserker is MOC. The wolf-skin hood and battle axe are BrickWarriors. The head and torso are S15 LEGO. The legs are also LEGO but I can't remember where I got them. 

And the black mysterious guy, that seems a ninja or samurai... :look:

The samurai is mostly an S15 kendoka but with BrickWarriors parts: their samurai helmet, Roman plume and katana.

If you were hoping my creations were purist, I'm sorry but they're not. :blush: 

Edited by AmperZand

On 27/10/2016 at 2:31 AM, AmperZand said:

The sword is LEGO. The scabbard is by SI-DAN as is the waist piece to which it is attached but you can't see well in the picture.

Yes, the berserker is MOC. The wolf-skin hood and battle axe are BrickWarriors. The head and torso are S15 LEGO. The legs are also LEGO but I can't remember where I got them. 

The samurai is mostly an S15 kendoka but with BrickWarriors parts: their samurai helmet, Roman plume and katana.

If you were hoping my creations were purist, I'm sorry but they're not. :blush: 

Thanks, AmperZand

I will explore that brands. :wink:

Unless it's like Prince Harry, or the symbol formerly known as The Artist formerly known as Prince formerly known as his real name (whatever that was, I could look it up I suppose?)

15 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Unless it's like Prince Harry, or the symbol formerly known as The Artist formerly known as Prince formerly known as his real name (whatever that was, I could look it up I suppose?)

Hahah, believe it or not, his real first name was: Prince.

On 01/12/2016 at 0:06 AM, Artanis I said:

It could be the Prince of Persia. :laugh:

Edited by Viriatus
typo

11 hours ago, Blakstone said:

It was mentioned as the son of the King and Queen seen in previous CMF series.

Yeah, the insider was being coy rather than cool king right out and saying it, but it does beg the question: might the prince be the same look and feel as far as colors and design as the king and queen?

I would hope so, but if the princess is anything to go by, he might not be. If so, I wonder if/how he would continue the card motif

Yeah the princess has nothing to do with the king and queen, it follows the common image of a princess, perhaps we will get the stereotype prince too. With maybe the fleur de lis(In queen present, I forgot about the king) pattern printed somewhere.
In any case I hope the figure can be used as an army builder somehow.

47 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

There will be a Battle Dwarf in CMF Series 17

So that will be the first good guy, non-flesh dwarf since, eh, 2009? I missed out on the Fantasy Era and LotR stuff, so I will try to obtain this one for sure !

On 19-12-2016 at 6:50 PM, Robert8 said:

There will be a Battle Dwarf in CMF Series 17

How sure are you about this? I'm a fan of lego dwarves thats why i'm asking.

On 12/20/2016 at 1:31 PM, wout1988 said:

How sure are you about this? I'm a fan of lego dwarves thats why i'm asking.

About as sure as we can be about any rumor. This is a historically reliable tipster, so I am inclined to believe it.

So apparently the prince rumor was false, but we have a pretty solid confirmation of a Battle Dwarf. I'm excited to see what a good post-Middle Earth yellow dwarf will look like. The series 5 Evil Dwarf was great. It's reasonable to expect we might get a good guy version with this new one, and there's lots of potential with the new printing and dual molding techniques used these days. 

I found that Catman from the LEGO Batman Movie CMF series is very useful for the belt piece in brown.

Similarly, Pharoah from the same series is very useful for Egyptian styles, and the Heavy Metal Batman has fairly useful legs for knights.