SirBlake

Latest CMF series impact on Historic themes

1 hour ago, Umbra-Manis said:

So the knight review is up on @Brother From Another Brick's channel, and it's not a trans head! And he's got a beautiful chain mail print on the torso. 

And he comes with an extra trans blue plume and sword!

18 hours ago, MAB said:

Miriam Margolyes didn't do Triptaka but did most of the females.

You're right. I stand corrected :look:

Wonder if we will get the other characters from Journey to the West as CMFs in later series. Perhaps a Buddhist monk would violate LEGO's rule about not depicting religions/religious persons. 

Monkey as in Monkey!? A bit of a cult show around here.

"Monkey magic... monkey magic... monkey magic..." (guess the next line)

Monkey King legs look useful for pepping up some of the old dark red leather scale torsos.
Pizza guy's legs would work well for a Jester in (dark?) red and green.

Edited by Masked Mini

The knight has a printed torso.  this will double the army building value of this minifigure.  For every knight purchased a second head cheap black or gray torso and legs and you have two castle figs for about five dollars.

The monkey plume I guess could be used as for a knight plume.
The blacktron guy I will get some to make them drow elite troops or something similar.
The ghost knight will get at least 10 of them. And swap their heads.

We've finally got our first publicly disclosed descriptions for Series 20's offerings this year via @promobricks, and there are definitely more figures than Series 19 had that'll be of interest to Historical/Castle/Pirate fans here... :wink:

PromoBricks - LEGO 71027 Minifigures Series 20: 16 Collectible Figures for the Anniversary

• Knight - It's time again for a knight at the Danish toy manufacturer. Here he is - a knight in an orange / gray robe. A real knight's helmet with a red LEGO spring. A suitable sword and of course the shield must not be missing. On the gray shield is a yellow print with a large black raven.
  • Pirate - The pirates should not be missing from the anniversary minifigure series. But this time there is the female form. The tricorn hat with red feather and integrated brown hair should be the most interesting here. Otherwise, a typical pirate sword is included as an accessory. The imprints of the minifigure are no longer spectacular. The torso is printed in a white robe with a brown belt. In addition, dark blue legs with red / brown print.
  • Viking - Here LEGO has surpassed itself, and when you see the figure like this, I unfortunately have to think of a Playmobil figure. This is certainly due to the large gray helmet with a golden visor and the orange beard. A blue cloth cape and a brown lance with a silver tip and a matching shield complete the minifigure.

Apparently there's 5 Knights per box (Yay) but only 3 vikings (Sob).

I'm sure we'll see that new sword again in the ideas blacksmith.

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Apparently there's 5 Knights per box (Yay) but only 3 vikings (Sob).

I'm sure we'll see that new sword again in the ideas blacksmith.

Yeah not to thrilled about there only being 3 vikings per box.  I guess I'll be searching harder for that one.  I do like the face prints on both.   

On 3/25/2020 at 7:04 PM, Robert8 said:

From thebrickcentral review

cmf-series-20-nobg-19-864x576.jpg?w=1170

I'm not a fan of the printed cape as that's what the cloth cape is for. Putting a cape over a cape is a bit weird.

Ooh the helmet and the beard are seperate! That is good news! I do agree with MAB, having both a cape piece and a (IMO, pretty bad looking) cape print is pointless. Just a cape piece is enough

On 3/27/2020 at 2:52 AM, MAB said:

I'm not a fan of the printed cape as that's what the cloth cape is for. Putting a cape over a cape is a bit weird.

Agree, could've just been blank, as it just take away from doing with double face or printing for other minifigures in the series. 

Series 23 reviews are trickling in. Looks like the knight costume does have torso printing, but it is very specific to this heraldry:

On 11/26/2014 at 5:34 PM, SirBlake said:

I just can't wait to see how all of these new molds effect the next castle theme.

New kings crown

New wizard hat

New princess hat

New shield

And lest we forget, the new sword first appeared in the highlander CMF.

All of this applied to a new theme with decent heraldry (please no more lions vs. dragons) would be great.

Love the hopeless optimism of 8 years ago! 😃

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

Series 23 reviews are trickling in. Looks like the knight costume does have torso printing, but it is very specific to this heraldry:

Disappointing. May get one of these for the novelty (and medium short legs) but I’m not tempted for more than that. 

10 minutes ago, Rjbricks said:

Love the hopeless optimism of 8 years ago! 😃

Sad face. 

Hopeless indeed. No way to know then that we were barreling toward such a castle drought at the time. 

One development that’s come from the change in perspective is, who would have known that the best possible outcome would be refreshing classic heraldry?

Since I have no personal connection to yellow castle, I'm pretty disappointed Lego decided to bring for the next CMF the crown coat of arms.

Lion knights emblems were obviously too much to hope for but also the green/yellow striped or blue/yellow clubs heraldry would have been a much better choice - since they are far more historically realistic. That would have been so much more versatile... sigh

Edited by brimbolet

On 8/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, brimbolet said:

Since I have no personal connection to yellow castle, I'm pretty disappointed Lego decided to bring for the next CMF the crown coat of arms.

Lion knights emblems were obviously too much to hope for but also the green/yellow striped or blue/yellow clubs heraldry would have been a much better choice - since they are far more historically realistic. That would have been so much more versatile... sigh

The Yellow Castle was way before my time as well, but honestly I quite appreciate a lot of the recent references to it we've seen: for instance, the Troubadour minifigure, the Knight of the Yellow Castle minifigure, and the shields from the Lion Knights' Castle (for that matter, if you go back a bit further, the marble statue from 70357 Knighton Castle also references the classic coronet heraldry).

And for my part, I do prefer the crown heraldry from that set over the trefoil or chevron heraldry. As common as trefoils or chevrons were in real-life medieval heraldry, the crown heraldry appears more prominently throughout the original Yellow Castle set (since it was used for the castle's own knights and guards and not just for the visiting knights).

Moreover, its symbolic meaning is much more obvious than that of the more abstract symbols, in keeping with the animal heraldry of later castle factions. Even as an adult, I had no idea what trefoils or chevrons on medieval heraldry were meant to signify without first looking it up online. Whereas it's much easier even from a modern standpoint to recognize a crown as a symbol of royalty, a lion as a symbol of might/authority, an eagle as a symbol of power/ambition, a wolf as a symbol of ferocity, etc.

That said, I am a bit frustrated that the crown heraldry colors are represented in the Lion Knights' Castle and Minifigures Series 23 with Bright Purple (Dark Pink), Cool Yellow (Bright Light Yellow), and Dark Stone Grey (Dark Bluish Gray) — an approximation of how the crown stickers from that set would look after years of fading. The original colors of the coronet stickers would be better represented by Bright Reddish Violet (Magenta), Bright Yellow, and Black.

The Troubadour minifigure seems to have used Bright Reddish Violet for this very reason, and the other Yellow Castle shields in the Lion Knights' Castle are accurate to the colors the corresponding Yellow Castle's stickers would've had when new, so it surprises me that the graphic designer opted for this faded look for the crown heraldry in particular.

I posted this in the S23 CMF thread too, but figured the Historic Forum folks would appreciate it too....

I found S23 at my local Kohl's here in Fort Worth. Got a couple of knights, and I'm happy to report that if you've got the spare legs, torsos and helmets, its easy to turn one minifig into two, with it's printed torso for guards and armor for knights. The fact that they come with two swords is a nice bonus too. I happened to have lots of spare legs that match the arms, and I think it makes for a nice look.

52320656409_1eda0d238d_z.jpg

On 8/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, Aanchir said:

The Yellow Castle was way before my time as well, but honestly I quite appreciate a lot of the recent references to it we've seen: for instance, the Troubadour minifigure, the Knight of the Yellow Castle minifigure, and the shields from the Lion Knights' Castle (for that matter, if you go back a bit further, the marble statue from 70357 Knighton Castle also references the classic coronet heraldry).

And for my part, I do prefer the crown heraldry from that set over the trefoil or chevron heraldry. As common as trefoils or chevrons were in real-life medieval heraldry, the crown heraldry appears more prominently throughout the original Yellow Castle set (since it was used for the castle's own knights and guards and not just for the visiting knights).

Moreover, its symbolic meaning is much more obvious than that of the more abstract symbols, in keeping with the animal heraldry of later castle factions. Even as an adult, I had no idea what trefoils or chevrons on medieval heraldry were meant to signify without first looking it up online. Whereas it's much easier even from a modern standpoint to recognize a crown as a symbol of royalty, a lion as a symbol of might/authority, an eagle as a symbol of power/ambition, a wolf as a symbol of ferocity, etc.

That said, I am a bit frustrated that the crown heraldry colors are represented in the Lion Knights' Castle and Minifigures Series 23 with Bright Purple (Dark Pink), Cool Yellow (Bright Light Yellow), and Dark Stone Grey (Dark Bluish Gray) — an approximation of how the crown stickers from that set would look after years of fading. The original colors of the coronet stickers would be better represented by Bright Reddish Violet (Magenta), Bright Yellow, and Black.

The Troubadour minifigure seems to have used Bright Reddish Violet for this very reason, and the other Yellow Castle shields in the Lion Knights' Castle are accurate to the colors the corresponding Yellow Castle's stickers would've had when new, so it surprises me that the graphic designer opted for this faded look for the crown heraldry in particular.

Totally agreed - as I am a kid of the Yellow Castle (I still have mine).

48 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

I posted this in the S23 CMF thread too, but figured the Historic Forum folks would appreciate it too....

I found S23 at my local Kohl's here in Fort Worth. Got a couple of knights, and I'm happy to report that if you've got the spare legs, torsos and helmets, its easy to turn one minifig into two, with it's printed torso for guards and armor for knights. The fact that they come with two swords is a nice bonus too. I happened to have lots of spare legs that match the arms, and I think it makes for a nice look.

52320656409_1eda0d238d_z.jpg

They look amazing! You did a very good job. Making two minifigs out of one is a great idea. I for myself would swap the golden swords for gray ones. What is the color of the arms and legs - sand blue?

I need two, better four of them ...

Edited by The Reader

41 minutes ago, The Reader said:

They look amazing! You did a very good job. Making two minifigs out of one is a great idea. I for myself would swap the golden swords for gray ones. What is the color of the arms and legs - sand blue?

I need two, better four of them ...

Thanks! Yes, arms on the CMF torso are sand blue, and I matched the legs with that too. It's kind of unusual for a knight, but so is a pink plume, lol. I think the sand blue actually works pretty well.

I picked up a set of series 23 today myself. Don't sleep on the reindeer, she's got some great plumes.

qvREPu4.jpeg