SirBlake

Latest CMF series impact on Historic themes

The color scheme in this minifig is a mess.The icy blue doesn't mesh at all with the gray,red and black motif of the armor.It would be much better if a vampire was wearing the armor and not this ice zombie or whatever it is.

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

The color scheme in this minifig is a mess.The icy blue doesn't mesh at all with the gray,red and black motif of the armor.It would be much better if a vampire was wearing the armor and not this ice zombie or whatever it is.

I kind of agree, as I've always thought a CMF homage to Fright Knights' Basil the Bat Lord would've been best done as a Vampire Knight archetype. I mean, is there any precedent for the pairing of a Whitewalker-inspired being with Transylvania-esque bat motifs? :def_shrug:

I think is meant to be like ghost wearing the armor. Like a undead knight or something. What I don't get is the trans blue plume and sword

Is that the ghost of a sword? lol But you can easily change them, unlike the prints, which are the best part

7 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I think is meant to be like ghost wearing the armor. Like a undead knight or something.

Ah, I guess a ghostly figure somewhat makes a bit more sense. :classic:

I think it's supposed to be possessed or ghost of some sort.  I will definitely switch the head out.  The prints look amazing and the new sword is welcome along with the plume.  Can't wait to see the rest of the series.  Hope there is more along this fantasy type figs.  

I would have preferred a vampire knight than this ghost-zombie-icy knight but well I guess is not that bad either.
I am trying to guess what is the black mask fig on the front of the series, anyone has an idea??

8 minutes ago, Niku said:

I am trying to guess what is the black mask fig on the front of the series, anyone has an idea??

Specifically, not a clue, though I'm pretty sure it's a Sci-Fi archetype rather than anything historical, as it's welding a gun of some kind.

Thanks, it makes sense now you call it.
I will wait for more pics, but it looks good as to be an elite medieval unit, at least the helm part.

23 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Agreed.

I do like the Mummy character, though.  There's also one that looks like a Chima character.  All in all, interesting but not overwhelmingly so.

All black figure has the classic Blacktron Triforce, so that dude is a space guy.In the meantime, there is a chap that looks rather like Johnny Thunder,so he might do to add some flavour to the wild west, a character has a pair of pooches (that recent dachshund that was leaked a while ago) there is also a Fox animal suit person with the sack and a chicken in a new colour. 

Unfortunately, the picture I have come across is not the best resolution, so if other figures have printed legs that might work well in historic, I can't quite make out details. 

On 7/21/2019 at 4:07 PM, Exetrius said:

Trans light blue plume!!! I've been waiting for that for years (I think I specifically mentiomed that piece in one of my earliest posts in this thread, need to dig that up sometime..)! :excited: Of course, the rest of the fig is fantastic too! :sweet:

Time for more variety in the torches on the walls! 

Rather unfortunate that I don't have any vampire heads lying around to switch into these new bat knights, maybe B&P has something passable... 

Really liking the mummy, knight, and monkey king for all my fantasy/castle builds.  The mummy looks really nice and the monkey king has a lot of detail.  There are quite a few new animal molds too.  Nice series just wish for more fantasy stuff, I do like the blacktron fig too, It will be interesting to see if his head is just a generic all black head or something different.  

4 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Time for more variety in the torches on the walls! 

Blue fire, aw yeah! :grin: On the other hand, I think it is going to be used more frequently as flowing water; it's just a great piece! :sweet:

On 7/21/2019 at 9:56 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, I dunno why everybody started out calling it an ice zombie or frozen knight or white walker or whatnot… For me, seeing the picture, it seemed like the obvious intent was "ghost knight/haunted suit of armor". In fact, I just did a Google Image search for "ghost knight" and a good portion of the results show similar fiery blue specters in dark-colored armor.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:46 PM, x105Black said:

I do like the Mummy character, though.  There's also one that looks like a Chima character.  All in all, interesting but not overwhelmingly so.

The "one that looks like a Chima character" is almost unmistakably based on Sun Wukong/The Monkey King from the classic 16th century Chinese novel "Journey to the West". It's a tremendously influential work of literature in Asia, on par with or potentially even surpassing the cultural significance that Robin Hood folklore or Arthurian legend have in Europe. He even carries Sun Wukong's signature weapon, the golden-banded staff.

While "Journey to the West" is not nearly as well known in Europe and the Americas as in Asia, it's far from obscure in the context of Chinese cultural history — to the point that the Monkey King was considered as a potential plot element for both the second AND third Indiana Jones films before development took both those films in a different direction. https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Monkey_King

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:
On 7/21/2019 at 8:56 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, I dunno why everybody started out calling it an ice zombie or frozen knight or white walker or whatnot…

Heh, we probably all had Ninjago's Frozen Samurai in the back of our heads, hence it being our first thought. :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

The "one that looks like a Chima character" is almost unmistakably based on Sun Wukong/The Monkey King from the classic 16th century Chinese novel "Journey to the West". It's a tremendously influential work of literature in Asia, on par with or potentially even surpassing the cultural significance that Robin Hood folklore or Arthurian legend have in Europe. He even carries Sun Wukong's signature weapon, the golden-banded staff.

While "Journey to the West" is not nearly as well known in Europe and the Americas as in Asia, it's far from obscure in the context of Chinese cultural history — to the point that the Monkey King was considered as a potential plot element for both the second AND third Indiana Jones films before development took both those films in a different direction. https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Monkey_King

Fair enough, but he just looks like a rad Chima character to me, possibly with a good selection of parts for building a fire-themed faction.

Glad those into the Monkey King are getting something fun.  I love monkeys, so that's a plus for me.

The latest CMF has 11/16 characters being modern day which seems imbalanced IMO, but there are still some good parts like the recoloured chicken.

@pooda Did you mean to put that in another thread cause it doesn't make sense here.

5 hours ago, x105Black said:

Fair enough, but he just looks like a rad Chima character to me, possibly with a good selection of parts for building a fire-themed faction.

Glad those into the Monkey King are getting something fun.  I love monkeys, so that's a plus for me.

When I was sent the pic of the Series 19 bag and saw the guy I legit thought it was a Chima character. 

I had to ask @VaderFan2187, who is asian, and he told me this Monkey King character is very popular there. Like Santa Claus for us. 

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

@pooda Did you mean to put that in another thread cause it doesn't make sense here.

Dammit! That was supposed to go under that playmobil thread. 

Replace the head on the "monkey king" figure and pair it with those shields found in the build you own mimifig bins in the brand stores and I think it would create a powerful looking knight worthy of the name paladin.

Edited by dgherko

22 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Yeah, I dunno why everybody started out calling it an ice zombie or frozen knight or white walker or whatnot… For me, seeing the picture, it seemed like the obvious intent was "ghost knight/haunted suit of armor". In fact, I just did a Google Image search for "ghost knight" and a good portion of the results show similar fiery blue specters in dark-colored armor.

Also well known to Japanese and UK television audiences of a certain vintage who remember the NHK version of 'Journey to the West' (re-titled 'Monkey' in the UK). Interesting little side factoid: the actress who provided the English language dubbing of Tripitaka's voice played Professor Sprout in the 'Harry Potter' films.

The inclusion of a character from Chinese folklore, along with other themed sets, shows LEGO's commitment to that market.  

19 hours ago, dgherko said:

Replace the head on the "monkey king" figure and pair it with those shields found in the build you own mimifig bins in the brand stores and I think it would create a powerful looking knight worthy of the name paladin.

I was thinking of any appropriate head and Overwatch Hanzo's hair piece would give you something straight out of Three Kingdoms period China.

Edited by K_Tiger

17 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Also well known to Japanese and UK television audiences of a certain vintage who remember the NHK version of 'Journey to the West' (re-titled 'Monkey' in the UK). Interesting little side factoid: the actress who provided the English language dubbing of Tripitaka's voice played Professor Sprout in the 'Harry Potter' films.

The inclusion of a character from Chinese folklore, along with other themed sets, shows LEGO's commitment to that market.  

Miriam Margolyes didn't do Triptaka but did most of the females. I'd love a Lady Whiteadder figure though.