SirBlake

Latest CMF series impact on Historic themes

Plus, the Heavy Metal armour shoulders, scalloped capes in black and brown... The cave-bat club, magical lightning and the lovely hair for Barbara all make good additions to a fantasy/historical collection. 

On 1/1/2017 at 10:37 PM, SirBlake said:

So apparently the prince rumor was false, but we have a pretty solid confirmation of a Battle Dwarf. I'm excited to see what a good post-Middle Earth yellow dwarf will look like. The series 5 Evil Dwarf was great. It's reasonable to expect we might get a good guy version with this new one, and there's lots of potential with the new printing and dual molding techniques used these days. 

The CMFs usually introduce new printing techniques/molds

I'm expecting this "Battle Dwarf" to introduce printing in the short legs piece. It's about a decade since that piece debuted, and I think printing on those is long overdue

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

Plus, the Heavy Metal armour shoulders, scalloped capes in black and brown... The cave-bat club, magical lightning and the lovely hair for Barbara all make good additions to a fantasy/historical collection. 

And don't forget trans pink fairy wings and wand, as well as the 2 pink skirts (1 tutu), for those who enjoy such nonsense in their fantasy settings.

:tongue:

There are also bunny ears in what I assume is a nougat color, if you want bunny people in your fantasy world.  And an Orca if you want killer whale people.  There are also a few useful hair pieces, and Red Hood could provide armor, and maybe a decent torso.

Not a CMF, but don't forget about Tartan Batman from one of the activity books! I imagine the tartan leg printing might be useful for anyone looking to add some scottish flavor to their historic or fantasy figs, and the dark brown cape could be useful for all sorts of purposes. Heck, someone might even find use for the torso if they use some short armor piece to cover up the bat-symbol!

On 05/02/2017 at 0:57 AM, x105Black said:

I found that Catman from the LEGO Batman Movie CMF series is very useful for the belt piece in brown.

Similarly, Pharoah from the same series is very useful for Egyptian styles, and the Heavy Metal Batman has fairly useful legs for knights.

I used most of the Glam Rock Batman to create a fantasy Batman. The only changes are the swapped out torso, the bat'leth instead of the guitar, and the yellow head (I don't like fleshies). The arms & torso assembly of the wizard in the picture below is Zodiac Man's though you can't see that well in the photo.

batman_vs_electro-pyrites.jpg

23 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The CMFs usually introduce new printing techniques/molds

I'm expecting this "Battle Dwarf" to introduce printing in the short legs piece. It's about a decade since that piece debuted, and I think printing on those is long overdue

That sounds nice.

As far as the Batman stuff, it still seems pretty useless to me.

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

As far as the Batman stuff, it still seems pretty useless to me.

Most of it is, but that belt is really nice.

In this picture, it's upside down, but it's a good look at the piece:

27145.original.png

Here it is in context:

31419259082_1ec2b64b84_h.jpg?resize=625%2C773&ssl=1

It's nothing much, really, but I'm going to be using them on Forestmen, Wolfpack, and the like.  Goes well with the color scheme, and adds a little more flavor.  Also in yellow, orange, and purple, but I figure the reddish brown appeals to more people in this area of the forums.

On 05/02/2017 at 11:44 PM, Robert8 said:

Printing on short legs has already been done, back in 2014.

41879pb002.png

Edited by MAB

Series 17 revealed!

CM Series 17

Lots of good historic stuff here. New gladiator, battle dwarf with great printing and fun beard/hair and a beautiful female elf with a shield and gold highlander sword. Can't wait to see the details of her shield. 

Edited by SirBlake

Really like the look on the face of the Female Elf. Can't wait to pick some of her up. The detail on her shield looks like a french lily, modified. 

Also the gladiator is really nice. Not to big of a fan of the dwarf, hoped for some orange or brown or black hair. Not bright red. But he got cool printing on him, so that's cool. 

The elf maiden looks very nice, interesting color scheme. I expect I'll pick up multiples of her. Both the gladiator an dwarf are disappointing to me. I don't need an army of gladiators, sure there are some usable parts there for barbarians but I would MUCH rather see the "ancient history" figure representing either real troops or normal civilians. As to the dwarf the red hair/beard don't work for me and I wanted to see a dwarven helmet and armor (at least printing). His belt is neat, in general though I don't care for shirtless figures though so that dings both of these for me.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Sadly, the Elf Maiden doesn't seem to match with the S3 Elf

Why not? Because she isnt forest-themed?

The elf looks great and she has a shield.  I like the dwarf new color for hair and beard are always welcomed.  Trying to figure out who the guy with the trident is supposed to be.  Some great new accessories in this series. 

The real question is, whill she have pants or a sloped piece? Personally I hope for pants.She will however be a figure I will absolutely hunt for. In general, the Castle ones are those I strife for. Is it just me, or does she come with an oldschool shield instead of the larger one they frightening knight and the egypt dude used?

The Gladiator is a Retiarius type, although the net is missing. Which is kind of stupid, since his name is "netfighter". Not a big fan of him though. I don't like the Atlantis trident as a weapon, and unlike the Murmillo gladiator we got earlier he is doesn't come with a fancy helmet.

The dwarf seems to be a little bit inspired by Warhammer slayers. Mohawk hairstyle, red dyed hair, no armor... Not  a fan of him as well, Especially of the beard design. In addition imo his legs are, as all short legs missing details.

Fair assessments, but I'm pretty happy with these three. 

After close scrutiny, I'm 99% sure that the elf maiden has a skirt slope. I was kind of hoping for legs, but skirt totally works too. Not sure which shield mold that is, but I hope it's the newer larger one. 

I have mixed feelings here: (1) as a person who likes light flesh characters, I'm unable to mix those with my LOTR dwarfs/elves; (2) I always hoped for elven nobility, something that doesn't look like wooden elf and looks more like high elves.

16 hours ago, josykay said:

The dwarf seems to be a little bit inspired by Warhammer slayers.

I apologise if I've misunderstood the tone of your post, but there's no "little bit" about it. There's virtually no doubt that the Battle Dwarf is based on Warhammer's dwarven slayers: please see this post for some compelling evidence.

I kind of wish the dwarf was more generic to allow for army building. The gladiator looks good. Interested so see how the highway man fits into historical setting. Wondering why he wasn't disclosed? 

3 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I apologise if I've misunderstood the tone of your post, but there's no "little bit" about it. There's virtually no doubt that the Battle Dwarf is based on Warhammer's dwarven slayers: please see this post for some compelling evidence.

Well you are right. I forgot the quotes. ;)

Although he is lacking a long beard. By Warhammer standards he would be barely an adult.

20 hours ago, josykay said:

The real question is, whill she have pants or a sloped piece? Personally I hope for pants.She will however be a figure I will absolutely hunt for. In general, the Castle ones are those I strife for. Is it just me, or does she come with an oldschool shield instead of the larger one they frightening knight and the egypt dude used?

16 hours ago, SirBlake said:

After close scrutiny, I'm 99% sure that the elf maiden has a skirt slope. I was kind of hoping for legs, but skirt totally works too. Not sure which shield mold that is, but I hope it's the newer larger one. 

Its certain that it is a skirt slope (design looks quite nice too). My guess is its the new shield as it looks a little big but hard to say for sure.

DnhunYW.png

I have quite the opposite impression. I have my "Frightening Knight" staying next to me having the new shield, and the curved part of his shield begins very very late. In addition the lower part of the shield is  nearly completely covered by the tablet...

But nice catch of her lower part. Yeah, that's a sloped piece. Ok, I guess although I would have prefered legs.  But still probably my favorite in the set, and the shield is always wellcome. Maybe there are some lightblue legs fitting fairly well for her, to modify her a little bit.

4 hours ago, Shroffy123 said:

I kind of wish the dwarf was more generic to allow for army building.

My immediate thoughts too, except for the "kind of" bit

I had very high expectation for the Dwarf... but I don't know... I just can't like it

The hair is weird, I don't like that beard piece and I don't really get why the guy is wearing shorts :look:

Edited by Robert8