Sign in to follow this  
nils

Horizon Express

Lets compare to my own neck of the woods:

British inspired Lego sets:...

10194 Emerald Night

Well that was quick. And despite it's popularity due to being virtually the only decent attempt at a steam loco Lego have done, it isn't all that spectacular, and looks (in my eyes at least) almost nothing like like the actual prototype...

Admittedly, I tend not to look at the pre-9v stuff (which is more heavily European, because Lego was less prevalent in the US at that time), but 9v onwards... yeah, there's a fair bit of American. I would also argue that that red diesel freight set could easily pass off as an American switcher.

My final point, (before I derail this thread completely), as an AFOL, who is more interested in cool to build and look at models than Lego's history, what are the official Lego trains I'm most likely to go for... (Slightly) more American than European; the Maersk train, the BNSF stuff, and the Santa Fe stuff, vs Emerald Night, and Horizon Express (neither of which had any additional cars produced like the Santa Fe stuff either).

Anyway, maybe it's just a frustrated Brit who had to resort to MOCs to get anywhere near something that actually looked British, but that's how it looks to me.

Lets compare to my own neck of the woods:

British inspired Lego sets:...

With much respect, I believe you may be over-thinking the decision process of these products. While the majority of Exclusive trains have been inspired by U.S designs, what it all comes down to is the quality of the building experience. Creator products tend to balance cultural significance with more advanced building techniques - this is complicated further with trains by a requirement to add P.F support, and mandatory train base plates.

From a business perspective, it also makes sense to generate variety with these niche products in order to maximise profit, because trains often form part of a builder's personal collection. Exploring different train classes creates a natural incentive to expand that collection. This is a polar opposite to the City line, were the playability is of primary concern and the train's appearance can be somewhat recycled for new generations of children.

Returning to the original point, Emerald Night, Maersk and Horizon Express were produced under the Creator product line, which resulted in a different set of goals to, say, the 'My Own Train' et al. Taking this into account, they are each very different and original models. This is a great credit to the designer (Jamie B) for ensuring that older children and upwards enjoy these models as either display or play pieces, and so therefore I think we can assume that the next train will follow this trend. From a purely historical and challenging build, I think an A4 could fit the bill.

Edited by nesquik

I'd love an A4, but it would have to be a *significant* step up from EN to make it worth it.

I'm in the Stratford Lego store at the moment, and there seems to be no sign of the HE anywhere... I'm now glad that I got it when it was reduced on Black Friday... :wink:

They've been on 'sold out' for quite a while here in Australia. Last time I saw one in store was in September at Myer.

I juz got mine today from a toy store in my country for $169.90 (roughly 136USD) after it was on sale :)

To be honest, I'm glad that Horizon Express is officially retired. That means we'll have a new train (Hopefully a steam locomotive with a corridor car or another BNSF style American diesel) in time for the first 2015 product wave or a spring release.

or another BNSF style American diesel

That's the one thing that I really don't want to see on the shelves. We had the BNSF, the Maersk and the 60052 is just more of the same. I'm bored of those things.

I can sort of agree. It's not an ideal set, but it'd be the better alternative than another high speed passenger train. We've had at least 1 every year since 2006, and any variety would be amazing.

Horizon Express is completely sold out on S@H for Canada now. The lego store has been without them for a few months now. I managed to order one during the x2 VIP promotion on Sunday. Not to sure if I will actually get it though. Its been 2 days and the item tracking still says its in warehouse.

Edited by Black Rabbit

As the last time TLG released an Australian train was... Never, I'll not buy into the debate. What I can add is that today I saw four HE for sale on the shelf at Toyworld Greensborough (Vic) for $199 AUD. But I have two so shant be greedy. Hope this helps if you are in this hemisphere.

Horizon Express is completely sold out on S@H for Canada now. The lego store has been without them for a few months now. I managed to order one during the x2 VIP promotion on Sunday. Not to sure if I will actually get it though. Its been 2 days and the item tracking still says its in warehouse.

... and it looks like it's finally sold out in the US as well. Brickset says EoL 12/15 for CA and US.

I was debating ordering this set on the weekend, and on Monday Dec 15 I reloaded and it said "Call to check...". I phoned and spoke with a CSR and indeed they had "very few left". I mentioned that the day prior it was limited to 2 per customer, and asked whether I could still order 2 of them. She checked and said there were literally 2 left, and put the order through for me. As I was on the phone I hit "refresh" in my browser, and it changed to "SOLD OUT".

Needless to say Toys R Us (.ca) still has (oops, had) some of these left at retail pricing. As of yesterday TRU.ca had 19 in stock, and checking this morning it's sold out. This set sold pretty fast when push came to shove.

Locutis

Walmart.ca had them online yesterday when I looked. Not sure about today. People seem to be snapping them up now.

Question? Is it possible to build the Horizon Express in other colors? And which colors would be possible with the current supply of LEGOs?

Question? Is it possible to build the Horizon Express in other colors? And which colors would be possible with the current supply of LEGOs?

Yes, someone did a blue one. you can use the bricklink inventory catalog for the set to see if the parts are available in a different color.

To be honest, I'm glad that Horizon Express is officially retired. That means we'll have a new train in time for the first 2015 product wave or a spring release.

How do you know it's been retired to make way for another train set? I'm not so sure...

There's a few parts that could limit the colour choice. Most critical is probably the big wedge that forms most of the front:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=32084

I suppose a yellow 'La Poste' version is theoretically possible, but you would either have to use the eye-wateringly expensive BNSF baseplates or build on yellow plates...

LEGO 3925

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

Original delivered in 1978 :

Foto-NETNINBG.jpg

The most common delivered in France is that of the Atlantic TGV in 1988

Foto-6T7I6V4N.jpg

New colors 2014 :

Foto-GZ4BEGKJ.jpg

Edited by Godzilla91210

I can now confirm that HE has indeed been retired. Looks like I'll have to make do with two...

No!! Edited by Legoboy22

Some have the Thalys color sheme. Most of them cant be made with current Lego due to lake of color for front wedge.

thalys-pba-paris-bruxelles-amsterdamrame-4532-4540-120999.jpg

Edited by Exa

I am hoping we get a picture or a press release soon of the new Expert Train. Is anyone else just getting kind of excited for it? I really hope we get a small type steam loco like the 80's trains only in much more detail and have detailed cars and such...

Come on LEGO give us a press release!

-RailCo