While skiing I had the idea to reproduce an entire detachable ropeway just with LEGO-Technic-Bricks. After 400 hours of developing, testing and programming the model was built from scratch without any construction plans. This ropeway is an improved version of my first ropeway 2 years ago ;)

382-0439fb7f.jpg

386-a4a58e4e.jpg

This model-ropeway works just as its real brother. The eight gondolas are detached in the stations and slowed down to let passengers board easily. But not just the cable-clamp-mechanism is realized like in real ropeways but also the rope tensioner. This mechanism keeps the haul-rope always tensioned by the information of the sensors. Other sensors supervise the distance between the gondolas and adjust it when needed by slowing down a specific motor. Also the haul-rope is monitored by sensors. If the rope falls out of a deflection pulley the whole system performs an emergency-stop.

The entire model and even the whole control system with sensors and processors consists of usual LEGO-parts and is driven by 16 motors in total. Along with about 300 gears and 1‘000 chain-links, 10'000 parts were needed.

Pictures of the building process can be found on Facebook

383-b00e23c0.jpg

385-448645cb.jpg

Next year I plan to build an intermediate station with another 6’000 parts. The whole ropeway-model then will be powered by 30 motors, 4 Mindstorms-Computers, 15meters of technic-chain-links and about 500 gears.

Edited by Jim
Removed youtube channel promotion and e-mail address

This looks fantastic - love all the combined functions you've included, and the accurate mimicry of the real thing. Excellent job.

I think that this is the most awesome thing I've seen in quite a while. I totally forgot how easy it is to build with studded bricks instead of liftarms.

I always wanted to know how the cars on these things are detached from the main pulley. How does it work?

I've seen every other picture you got and I still don't know how it works.

Thank you Carsten! I soon will upload some more videos to YouTube showing this process in detail. Each gondola-"wagon" has a clutch that permits to grip the haul-rope. This clutch is opened, once the gondola enters the station.

Edited by Jim
Removed youtube channel promotion

No, I don't know these guys. But their MOC is awesome :) But it's another type of ropeway. I have a 3S-System with 3 ropes (2 stationary and 1 haul-rope)

Wow - that's a stunning build, and the presentation in the last picture is excellent. :thumbup:

Hi Elias,

That's a very awesome MOC!! Well done!

However, in your first post you mention your Youtube channel three times. In a next post you, again, promote your Youtube channel.

I have warned you about this and you are still doing it.

It's not a allowed to promote your own channel on Eurobricks. Please read the site guidelines.

Of course you can add a link to your Youtube channel in a post, but you are blatantly promoting your channel, which has ads to make money.

I will remove the links. People will find your Youtube channel if they are interested.

So kudos on your MOC, it's great! But please follow the site guidelines.

Great build, well done. I always wanted to build these seilbahnen when I was a kid.

The cabs are a little dangerous for the passengers though :laugh:

;) I know the cabin-design is not that detailed. For me this should be a Technic-model featuring as much Gears and complex mechanisms as possible to realize the real behavior in a MOC. I didn't focus much on the cabins for that reason. The housing for the stations doesn't exist for the same reason. So people can focus on the mechanic part 100%. I hope you can just like it as a Tecchnic-Model ;)

And I'm sorry that I posted the YouTube-link too much. I just added a signature right now so interested people will find me if they like. Is that OK Jim?

And I'm sorry that I posted the YouTube-link too much. I just added a signature right now so interested people will find me if they like. Is that OK Jim?

That's perfectly fine!

Thanks for understanding :thumbup:

Again, nicely done ... especially considering is the work of a single individual. I can't help but ponder at the process of building this entire project.

How do you even get started?

1. Did you do some digital model first or started directly with plastic?

2. Is this designed after a real station (if so which one) or fairly generic?

I must say that here in the US, we have very few of those and not too familiar with how they work ... nonetheless a very fascinating feat of lego engineering.