Paperballpark

4-6-2 LNER Class A3 4472 'Flying Scotsman'

WOW! That is stellar, the printed bricks are fantastic and take it all to a new level.

That would have compromised the look of it though - the PF motor truck has too large a wheelbase to use it in the tender with another two axles either side. Anyway, yes it is too late now! ;)

It might not be too late, if you used Cale's design for the crosshead, as done here around a 9v motor, you might be able to get connecting rods to work on this design.

That would have compromised the look of it though - the PF motor truck has too large a wheelbase to use it in the tender with another two axles either side. Anyway, yes it is too late now! ;)

I must have been tired this morning, I had it in my head you were using a separate motor and assembly rather than the PF motor bogie... lol.

WOW! That is stellar, the printed bricks are fantastic and take it all to a new level.

It might not be too late, if you used Cale's design for the crosshead, as done here around a 9v motor, you might be able to get connecting rods to work on this design.

Thanks! :)

There's no way I could do that, as the PF motor truck would hit the sides of it when going around the corners. There's really no way around that.

That's a beautiful piece of work with or without the printing, but the printing just adds that little extra "Wow factor"

Really nice scale, level of detail and shape.

This model also resinates with me in that my grandfather was an engineer on the Flying Scotsman line from about 1920 till the latter 1960's. Family lore claims he worked on A1s, A3s, A4s and a Deltic Diesel over the course of his career. The A4 may have set the speed record, but the A3 (and your model of it) had a lot more character, if you ask me.

Great job, keep up the good work.

Nice work I did the same loco about 2 years back in 8 wide and 7 wide and single and double tender. And have been selling the plans well on bricklink.

I have been meaning to print on mine to but always so many projects to get done and its still not done.

Any tips on how you did it would be sweet.

I was looking at the first pick and saying to myself mine looks better and then the pic with the printing wow it looks so so so much better.

I got a company to do the printing for me - Minifigsforlife, who are based about two hours from me. It took a total of about 7 and a half hours for them to design the decals and print them onto the train. I provided reference photos/font/logo etc though.

Do you have photos of your model? I can only see LDD images on your mocpages.

Edited by Paperballpark

^ Thanks! That reminds me, I need to buy some very fine sandpaper to sand off where it printed onto the flange.

The printing was a total of about £50 or so.

Man, that is gorgeous! My (very :cry_sad:) small railroad is too crowded for new trains, but that thing looks so beautiful that I would build it as a display set, to be displayed in a glass/acrylic box.

The green on the wheels is printed. Unfortunately it also printed onto the flange, so that needs gently sanding off.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:13 AM, Amicus1 said:

Thread resurrected. The thing hasn’t been posted in for over five years.

Oh I am so sorry I will try not to repeat in future.