Rail Co

[Review] 6600 Highway Construction

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello All! Some may have seen me on the Train Tech Forum. I also enjoy town and city sets! This is a Review over the LEGO 6600 Highway Construction set from the year 2000. This is my first review so constructive (no pun intended) criticism is welcome! Enjoy!

Name: Highway Construction

Set Number: 6600

Pieces: 317

Retail Price: $80

Minifigs: 5

Theme: Town/City

Released: 2000

15243809043_ab580b01f9_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

This will be the first appearance of Matt, my Lego minifig who will help me in my reviews and MOCs. He has the "Grand Plan" or blueprints for the Highway to be built. This tile only was available in this set and it is a printed element!

15677688587_baeb97b2e7_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

The set comes with 4 signs, the Turn sign (is there a term for these?), the 30 mph (or kph) speed limit sign, the construction zone sign. and lastly the "Do Not Enter" sign. all printed elements and they all add playability to the set!

15863844015_ba70d0bb78_z.jpgLEGO 6600 Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

The set comes with 5 main instruction sheets, each with the different vehicles along with one for the support structures.

15863463095_26862a6ae8_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

These pieces are what I like to call The Claw and The Dumper. The claw is pretty simple it is spring loaded to be pressed shut, to open it you just pinch the levers on the sides. The purpose for it is to pick up the little Dark Grey 1x1 round bricks. The Dumper stores those bricks and when you are ready you "dump" the into the Tipper Truck. They both hook onto the crane.

15677450589_25842bc212_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

The Tipper truck, this holds all the loose materials and debris. These can be hauled to wherever you please!

15675929228_251b90fbd1_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

The what I like to call "The Dozer with multiple uses" is a scooped front with a sort of flat bed back and also a giant toe hitch in the back. It picks up debris, it can also toe the crane to where it need to be moved!

15676116810_7390165b3c_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

The Police truck's purpose is to direct comuters if a lane is closed or as a police stop. It has many lights and signs just in case you cannot see giant 6x4 stude sign in front of you!

Enjoy some more pictures!

15837638406_41fde226f7_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

15675925958_f2fae9ce70_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

All in all it is a good set at about $80 Retail it was a good set for smaller kids than adults. I still love it as it is almost 15 years old!

The set ratings are...

Value: 7/10 For your money back it was good more for kids.

Playability: 9/10 You can continue to like this set (mostly for the road plates). But you get a couple of good figures and some very good trucks.

Design: 6/10 The designs are pretty bulky and very "studdy" if you will but it was ment for small kids and it was from 2000...

Parts: 9/10 With this set you got a few rare parts including the roofs for the Trucks (4x4 with 45 degree slope), Road Plates, and many signs and printed parts (No Stickers!)

Overall 7.75/10 You do get some good parts but the downside is the bulkiness of the vehicles.

15861478581_aaaa544d06_z.jpgLEGO 6600! Highway Construction by Railco1, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed this review! Thanks for reading! Remember constructive criticism welcome!

-Rail Co

The idea that Lego once had keeping things simple went too far in the late 90's and early 00's......thank goodness for city now eh ? :wink:

Good selection of vehicles but too simple......they are the sort-so-so vehicles......quick build to play, but no detail and assume that every child or person using it is only 4 years old.

At least with the new junior range their is some detail building including SNOT, I guess for a collection of road plates, etc., it's okay. :blush:

Thanks for the review 'Rail Co'.....Brick On Review On ! :grin:

Those bridge pieces are useful for towns, but the vehicles are a huge groan. Thank goodness Lego got out of their late 90s slump.

This was one of my first purchases as an AFOL, I thought the road plates might be useful one day but literally haven't used them since.

Yeah, as someone who loves old Lego sets that were simpler, these still look pretty bad to me. They make me think of Lego knock off brands!

The bridge was very good, just a shame more of those staight flat road sections were not more readily available, the potential for a raised road section in a city is great,

I really like this set. The roads are really cool and the construction crew is awesome. It has great playability. 8/10