SeanJFry

Resurrecting my vintage town sets

Over the last few months I have been trying to put together all my vintage classic space Lego sets. Now it's time to take a look at my old town sets.

The collection that I shared with my brother was raided early last year, and what I was left with is a complete mess. Only a few complete sets.

So I have started to attempt to resurrect my old town.

First up is set 376 - house with garden.

This is all I had to start with. Instructions, minifigures, the base plates, the tv brick, and some other assorted pieces.

15847364732_7b6df5feff_b.jpg376_01

I picked some parts out of my inventory, and also did a large Bricklink order, and my house is almost complete

15228332293_37ef5cbd8b_b.jpg376_04

It was a nice little build, with a nice bright colour combination.

15847360372_5020cef740_b.jpg376_05

The front door is supposed to be white, and I'm missing the window panes and stickers for the awnings. I hope to get those things sorted out soon.

The back yard has some sort of incinerator, or brick feature - not sure! some nice seating and flowers.

15661972949_93a5e8613b_b.jpg376_06

The house is built on two 16x16 baseplates and can be opened up like this

15822152636_68011e0640_b.jpg376_07

The interior revealed. Kitchen sink near front door (I'm missing the tap), seats, and on the right side a lounge area with the Tv on far right. There is no bedroom or bathroom which is unfortunate.

I guess they could sleep on the couch, and use the sink for a bathroom

15661971079_86f65ced01_b.jpg376_08

The happy occupants.

15660462858_46f2171b32_b.jpg376_09

The smart Tv

15822149906_afbdd79f97_b.jpg376_10

I have another 21 sets to sort through (most are vehicles though) and will update as I build my town. Thanks for looking, and I Hope you enjoy seeing the old stuff.

Edited by SeanJFry

I'm amazed that none of those blue slope pieces shows any sign of yellowing. I ended up with three of those houses and all of them look terrible compared to your's.

I'm guessing that all of the blue pieces came from a bricklink order, as there are none in the original photo. Great perspective on how different things are now. I bet the instructions were about 2 or 3 pages long! Thanks for the new series.

Oh, so that's where those minifigs and the blue roof tiles in my hand me down bricks came from! It's lovely to see a vintage set complete like that, thanks for sharing.

I'm amazed that none of those blue slope pieces shows any sign of yellowing.

I'm guessing that all of the blue pieces came from a bricklink order.

Yes, all but one blue tile from Bricklink.

Great perspective on how different things are now. I bet the instructions were about 2 or 3 pages long! Thanks for the new series.

The instructions folded out to a large two sided sheet with 13 steps.

Few pieces for a great old set! :blush:

I love that Lego era :wub:

I do like the style of the old sets too.

Oh, so that's where those minifigs and the blue roof tiles in my hand me down bricks came from! It's lovely to see a vintage set complete like that, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad to help you identify your minifigs. Edited by SeanJFry

Now to add set number two, the iconic Snack Bar - set number 675

This time I had a few more parts than I did with the house, the minifigures, the snack bar printed brick, the 16x8 base plate and the roof piece.

15254599363_04e37b8878_b.jpg675_01

...and adding the pieces I needed via Bricklink....here it is.

15873612652_a9b2edf1b3_b.jpg675_03

This set must have been released before Lego did a white 1x10 brick as the beam over the counter is done with 1x4 and 1x6 plates

15252002834_c8214d264a_b.jpg675_04

The aerial view!

15848437506_236060b4fd_b.jpg675_05

The backside of the bar

15688236159_435eb8b91c_b.jpg675_06

and, next to the house

15688239909_a10134f64c_b.jpg675_08

This little snack bar is one of my favourites from the old Lego sets. Simple yet iconic. I've seen a modern take on it which is really good, but I think the original is also excellent.

I am missing the sign, and will need to make stickers for the ice cream signs that go on the 1x2 bricks either side of the counter. I'll do them when I draw the stickers for the house.

Another shot with the snack bar and house together.

15848436426_64976becdd_b.jpg675_07

Edited by SeanJFry

This is great. Love the vintage stuff. I'm curious to see what's next. :)

I really like those old houses. I own that snack bar. Love to see what you are gonna show next.

The snack bar is my favourite!

This is great. Love the vintage stuff. I'm curious to see what's next. :)

Evil corporation is next :)

I own those sets (and a lot more) but my mother gave them all away... Nostalgia...

That really sucks :/

These are two sets I don't yet have. Must say the colours look very vivid in you photos, and especially the new red bricks you used in the house make it shine very nicely!

Amazing how well the minifigs were preserved.

Would have cleaned the base- and large blue plate though :P

These are two sets I don't yet have.

Which vintage sets do you have?

These are two sets I don't yet have. Must say the colours look very vivid in you photos, and especially the new red bricks you used in the house make it shine very nicely!

Amazing how well the minifigs were preserved.

Would have cleaned the base- and large blue plate though :P

I do plan on giving them a clean at some point :)

Now for set three - 377 Shell Service Station.

Here are the parts I salvaged. The large red plate was the main piece that helped identify the set.

15274504684_78e91013a7_b.jpg377_01

And this is what I bought from Bricklink

15710998737_0f23cf726c_b.jpg377_02

Here is the main building - almost complete. I'm missing the window to the right of the door. The door is the wrong colour, and I made do with the Shell bricks I could get from Bricklink.

15709460610_c76ce097f9_b.jpg377_03

The road plate was given to me. That is a story in itself. My brother and I had around 10 road plates, but he took them all so this one is the only vintage road plate I have at the moment.

The car is from the days before you could put minifigures in them. At 90 pieces in total it's not a complicated build, although I think the colour scheme and style still looks good today.

The second shot shows the female attendant in the shop area.

15277122713_62f6a15366_b.jpg377_05

The street starting to take shape.

15710995977_92bddee73a_b.jpg377_07

Clearly showing the difference between the old and new road plates.15894772031_d7271aa09e_b.jpg377_06

I hope you like seeing the old stuff.

As lightning says 'keep watching!' :)

Edited by SeanJFry

Ah, the 377's Shell sign has a larger Shell sticker than the one on there.......I should know I got one when they first came to Oz all those years ago. :wink:

Aw, the snack bar too.....but no snack bar sign ? :wink:

Keep going 'SJF'......you are bringing back good memories for me thanks and Brick On ! :grin:

Ah, the 377's Shell sign has a larger Shell sticker than the one on there.......I should know I got one when they first came to Oz all those years ago. :wink:

Aw, the snack bar too.....but no snack bar sign ? :wink:

You are correct, and if you had read my posts, you would have seen I specifically mentioned both of those items as either missing or substituted at this stage.

Got them listed here: http://brickset.com/...ownedby-Savvvas

Also have that gas station, as well as one that came out in 1986. Prefer the latter one because the cars fit minifigs and it's more detailed ;)

You have some nice sets there. A few of them are going to show up here :) My collection ends in 1985 (except for one set) so I have not seen that latter service station. Looks pretty cool.

You can regenerate a new sticker easily......I've done it more than once. :wink:

I plan on printing some stickers once i've filled up an A4 sheet worth of what I need.

This is fantastic, I love reading this! Definitely brings the nostalgia :) How many sets would you say you have?

I have 22 town sets from 1977-1985. Most of them are vehicles. Quite a few of the sets are incomplete so I need to source parts which is a slow process.

Very neat and clean...ohh man you took me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back ;)

These have taken me way back tooooo :)

Oh yeah, Lego 675 Snackbar takes me right back.

I just remember it with two 1x2 "ice cream" bricks in the facade.

Yes, my ice cream bricks are gone. I've got a few pieces to get for each of these sets to get them to 100%.

The parts i bought to get these first three to this point were all from the same seller on Bricklink so I did ok so far.

Nice! I love classic Lego town sets. I never got any of them, I was always asking for pirates, castle or space. Even so, i always admired sets of houses, car washes gas stations and services. Thanks for posting these!,

Nice! I love classic Lego town sets. I never got any of them, I was always asking for pirates, castle or space. Even so, i always admired sets of houses, car washes gas stations and services.

I had the town sets and space. No castle or pirates!

Thanks for posting these!,

No problem. I'm enjoying sorting through them and rebuilding them.

Next up is a small set. 608 Taxi from 1979.

I have the instructions for this one, and only one piece missing was a 2x3 blue plate, which I have added top left of photo.

16032937537_3348eb26ab_b.jpg608_01

It was very easy and quick to put together. It has a nice black and blue colour scheme, and the driver is pretty cool with a nice torso print.

16216892371_b8a2174a0b_b.jpg608_02

Finally, a close up of the minifig and the printed TAXI sign. Both are in good condition for their age.

16032659209_aa2e7bd4ce_b.jpg608_03

I have a few more little vehicles coming up this week.

Edited by SeanJFry