3 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

When I mouse-over the "I" (info) button in the lower right corner of the model view window, I get an instant CTD... It only happens with 1 specific model, which has A LOT of pneumatic tubing in it.

I did make some minor flexible part related changes in 1.6d not sure how that would affect the statistics panel though.

If you could send me the file by mail or pm it would help greatly.

If copying is a issue, you could strip anything but the tubing, just be sure it still crashes before sending me the file.

Ether way I won't share it and delete it when the issue is identified/fixed.

The crash is caused by the extremely short 2L pneumatic hoses (pneumaticHose-2L_1.ldr)

Those are basically just the caps, so you could just as well just place to 165.dat's in a sub-model to avoid the problem.

That said it shouldn't crash so it will be fixed in 1.7

Thanks for reporting.

Thanks @roland!

For now I'll just use 2x 165.dat as a quickfix solution.

Edit: Actually I did a slightly different thing, I removed the line of code with the skin for the mid-section from the subfile, so indeed only the endcaps are left, but with all other template related grouping still intact. Works perfectly.

Edited by Rudivdk

Forgot to mention it here, but I released a 1.7 test version last week.

So if you're comfortable with a possible unstable version feel free to test it.

Be sure you don't copy it over an existing stable version, just unpack it somewhere writable and execute the executable directly.

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/nextVer

Main new features are additional export options and support for embeded textures.

All feedback/comments are welcome.

LDCad is an excellent tool for drawing large MOC’s even if this MOC has more than 600,000 parts. But there is a problem with making a partslist. Too many parts, I’m afraid.

Is there a limit for the number of parts for making a partslist?

Or is there another way to make this partslist?

The script that can generate a partslist does have its limits and times out with too many parts I think. Perhaps 1.7 solves this problem? Haven't tried and tested that version, but will do soon.

There are other tools that generate parts list:

• LDPub3D can create a visual BOM.
  • BrickStock imports an LDraw model and generate a list of parts including quantities required and images.
  • BrickLink allows you to upload an LDraw model into a wanted list.
  • Rebrickable can create a list from your model too.

11 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

But there is a problem with making a partslist. Too many parts, I’m afraid.

Is there a limit for the number of parts for making a partslist?

Or is there another way to make this partslist?

Do you mean the part bin inventory group (icon with the Orange mpd text followed by the little house one with all red parts in its white bubble) doesn't contain all the model's parts?

If so that's a bug, because unless you are using >2 billion parts in the 32 bit version there is no real maximum.

Or is it the (csv) export of the bin content,,assuming you've using that (right click on the part bin) , itself somehow failing with this many parts?

@Jaco

If you're using a script that takes to long to do the job, you can change then maxExecTime option in main.cfg. Or set it to 0 for infinite (only allowed in the later 1.6 versions).

OK, Roland, forgot about that. I think you mentioned that earlier to me :blush:

I do think Pinnacle means the cvs export for the partslist of a model.

What I usually do is making a partslist with LDView. It works great, and a project of 20,000 parts is no problem. But 600,000 parts is apparently too much of the good.

Or maybe, the problem is in the drawing itself. Too complicated? Too many submodels? An error somewhere?

Using LDView I see Loading – Calculating size – parsing.

That takes a while and then comes:  Runtime Error…

8 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Using LDView I see Loading – Calculating size – parsing.

That takes a while and then comes:  Runtime Error…

LDView uses a lot of memory with larger models, maybe it runs out of memory.

This will happen at 2 or 3GB if you're using the 32bit version no matter how much memory the pc itself has.

So make sure you're using the 64bit version.

LDCad uses less memory as it only reserves bits for the used unique bricks, while LDView flattens the whole model to a single mesh.

The drawing in question is 16.0 MB...

Too much, I'm afraid..?

I use LDView 4.2 (64-bit)

Edited by Pinnacle

On 8/2/2021 at 8:59 AM, Pinnacle said:

The drawing in question is 16.0 MB...

Too much, I'm afraid..?

I use LDView 4.2 (64-bit)

The size of the model file doesn't really matter, it is the size of the resulting 3D data which will eat memory like it's limitless.

There are some options regarding memory use in LDView's preferences though.

The size is indeed not a problem. It is apparently the number of bricks that matters.

I made two test drawings. A wall with four sides of three meters. And a tower with a small ground plan but 8 meters high.

Both were no problem. But only if I use no more than about 20,000 parts. obviously that is the limit?

Edited by Pinnacle

Does anyone have experience with drawing large MOCs? Is it possible to ‘spit up’ a drawing in segments of 20.000 parts without ‘destroying’ it as a whole? Is it possible to disable the colours to see only the amounts of parts in the partslist without all the different colours?

Lots of questions, I know.

But maybe someone else has this kind of problems..   

On 8/9/2021 at 11:55 AM, Pinnacle said:

Does anyone have experience with drawing large MOCs? Is it possible to ‘spit up’ a drawing in segments of 20.000 parts without ‘destroying’ it as a whole? Is it possible to disable the colours to see only the amounts of parts in the partslist without all the different colours?

It is possible to move the selection to a submodel. But with that many parts selecting things might be a bit slow. To compensate for that you might be better of using a source window.

And because LDraw is a text format you can also use e.g. notepad to cut and paste a large chunk of text to a second .ldr given it is a 'flat' model.

There is currently no default bin group listing all unique parts in the current model.

I might add it to 1.7 though as I actually thought it was already there :)

The problem with the large number of parts is solved.  I deleted the LDView 4.2 and replaced it with LDView 4.4.

No runtime error, and I can see the whole drawing. It takes a while, but it works. The number of parts is the same as the number of parts on the LDCad drawing.  Most parts are displayed correctly, and some have strange comments in the partslist.

Some parts are unknown or not recognised. But maybe, it are errors in the drawing itself.

About the colours, I made a copy of the drawing and changed it to one colour for the whole drawing.  Maybe not the most elegant way, but it works for me.

Thanks for your suggestions

We need a unified organizer like what programming IDE's have, where we can, in one pane:

1. Have a way to more easily create, preview, drag and drop, delete, and switch to submodels.sub-sub models, etc
  2. View the parts bin, search for a part, go to part file in windows explorer
  3. View inventory or the whole model, or of a given submodel
  4. Create, delete new parts, switch to the part editing view.

The last one is useful if you need to create "helper" parts of two difficult to align parts that are not on a ldraw template yet.

So basically everything can just be added, delted, dragged and dropped as if they were all parts bin items.

We can already do this in ldcad 1.6 but its too clunky and isnt done in one pane

This probably means getting rid of the current parts bin categories:

• library sorted by function - dont see a use for this
  • library sorted by category - gets corrupted all the time anyhow, I just use the search tool to search for categories, part names or part IDs
  • parts listings of lego setss - it is just 3 prebuilt sets, point number 3 above can do this anyhow if you import the model.
  • template parts - search tool can find these
  • specical parts - search tool can find these
  • parts usage history - dont see a use for this
Edited by SNIPE

On 8/28/2021 at 8:37 PM, SNIPE said:

We need a unified organizer like what programming IDE's have, where we can, in one pane:

This probably means getting rid of the current parts bin categories:

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately most of these will probably need to wait for a 2.0 version which is a long way out.

Getting 'rid' of some of the part bin things can be done with the current version, just delete the corresponding .pbg files in the %appdata%/LDCad/partBin folder

But be aware it will reset after an upgrade unless you create you own configuration along side the default one.

ps: The "Sorted by function" division is my attempt at a more natural way of selecting parts, a bit like working with a physical storage system containing out of multiple cases/boxes etc.

1 minute ago, roland said:

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately most of these will probably need to wait for a 2.0 version which is a long way out.

Getting 'rid' of some of the part bin things can be done with the current version, just delete the corresponding .pbg files in the %appdata%/LDCad/partBin folder

But be aware it will reset after an upgrade unless you create you own configuration along side the default one.

ps: The "Sorted by function" division is my attempt at a more natural way of selecting parts, a bit like working with a physical storage system containing out of multiple cases/boxes etc.

ok, no problem :)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before because I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Running LDCad on a Mac using Wine 1.6.

I can't use the Insert key to insert a control point on a flex cable because my Mac keyboard doesn't have one.

Fn+Return doesn't work.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Coder Shah said:

I can't use the Insert key to insert a control point on a flex cable because my Mac keyboard doesn't have one.

You can assign a different key.

Right mouse click anywhere on the top tool bar

Choose "Hotkey config.."

In the new dialog set the top left drop list to "Edit session"

In the list of actions look for the one currently assigned to "ins"

Change the key using the top drop list or by clicking the sample space (not sure if that works under wine).

You could use 'I' but be sure to clear the existing binding to "Show/hide Info panel" (will be red).

That worked, thank you very much!

I also found the hotkeys to zoom, which is good because zooming using the trackpad was erratic.

I have a little question.

I was making a kind of mosaic and used 5000 round plates 1x1 in different colours. Now I want to change all those plates into square ones 1x1  but while retaining the colours.

What is the quickest way to do so?