I use both LDD and Ldraw. I find Ldraw super for advanced sets. And sad to say i think it has a larger brick database than LDD.

Very nice, love the look of the MSAA-filtered view. However, I noticed that the fonts and symbols in LDCAD are rendered very mushy, not quite to the point where they are no longer discernible, but enough to be a hindrance in using LDCAD.

Is this caused by my system (I had to switch from the Intel to the integrated NVidia GPU to get decent frame rates with MSAA) or is there any way to limit MSAA to the actual 3d parts of LDCAD?

/screenshot of LDCAD:

vMFp72dl.jpg

Edited by nickless

I noticed that the fonts and symbols in LDCAD are rendered very mushy, not quite to the point where they are no longer discernible, but enough to be a hindrance in using LDCAD.

Is this caused by my system (I had to switch from the Intel to the integrated NVidia GPU to get decent frame rates with MSAA)

This is not how it supposed to look in deed. Are you using the latest driver for the used card? I had to update my own Radeon drivers too as the way MSAA is used by LDCad (enable/disable msaa mid frame) can be a problem for some of the older drivers it seems.

edit: also be sure the driver's control panel hasn't some kind of 'force anti alias' enabled.

Edited by roland

How do you remove parts from the Favorites list? I'm left clicking on a part, to make sure it's selected, then right-clicking and selecting "Remove Current" under the Favorites heading. However, the part does not seem to be removed from my Favorites.

How do you remove parts from the Favorites list? I'm left clicking on a part, to make sure it's selected, then right-clicking and selecting "Remove Current" under the Favorites heading. However, the part does not seem to be removed from my Favorites.
Sorry this seems indeed broken, I'll fix it in the next version. In the meantime you can remove (while the program is closed) the unwanted item from the "%appdata%\LDCad\config\partBin.fav" file manually if you really need it gone.
Animation fun with LDCad...

You can get the scripts for a few animations and some more details on LDraw forum here.

Fun stuff.

You can also drag and drop the script file into the program to assign it to the model.

But there is a known bug which will need you to reload (F05) the model before using a different script, so it might be easier to put all the animations in a single script.

so it might be easier to put all the animations in a single script
Yeah, I considered that but... couldn't find any documentation or example showing how to do it?!

Yeah, I considered that but... couldn't find any documentation or example showing how to do it?!

You need to use unique frame / start function names and register multiple animation objects in the register function, like so:

function register()
 local ani=ldc.animation('Animation 1')
 ani:setLength(20)
 ani:setEvent('frame', 'onAni1Frame') 

ani:register('Animation 2')
 ani:setLength(15)
 ani:setEvent('frame', 'onAni2Frame')
end
function onAni1Frame()

local ani=ldc.animation.getCurrent()
 --animation 1 frame stuff 
end
function onAni2Frame()
 local ani=ldc.animation.getCurrent()
 --animation 2 frame stuff
end
register()

I just found an interesting bug: if I open an MPD file in LDcad that contains an MLcad arrow, the sub-model that contains the arrow will not show in the list of sub-models. Also, if there is an MLcad arrow in the main model, all of the polygons in any studs are highlighted.

I just found an interesting bug: if I open an MPD file in LDcad that contains an MLcad arrow, the sub-model that contains the arrow will not show in the list of sub-models. Also, if there is an MLcad arrow in the main model, all of the polygons in any studs are highlighted.

This is a known limitation of the program resulting from the fact the program splits things in models and parts. Once something is deemed a part (MLCad arrow snippet) it is processed differently (rendering preparations etc). A fututre version might offer to move MLCad generated things to a new submodel.

Is there a tutorial on how to use MLCAD-like ghosting with LDCAD? I have an axle that has to be pushed inwards one stud... Do I need to ghost the part in it's outward position and then add it again in a later step in the final position?

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Is there a tutorial on how to use MLCAD-like ghosting with LDCAD? I have an axle that has to be pushed inwards one stud... Do I need to ghost the part in it's outward position and then add it again in a later step in the final position?

I think you can do that by using LPUB meta commands or do you want to have this in the editor itself during viewing?

I think you can do that by using LPUB meta commands or do you want to have this in the editor itself during viewing?

Since LDCad does not support buffer exchange view yet, this does not apply.

Ghosting is only useful while editing and only applies used in submodels (in MLCad)

Lpub does not make use of it. It just sees a ghosted brick like a comment because the command has a leading zero (0 GHOST)

Since LDCad does not support buffer exchange view yet, this does not apply.

Ghosting is only useful while editing and only applies used in submodels (in MLCad)

Lpub does not make use of it. It just sees a ghosted brick like a comment because the command has a leading zero (0 GHOST)

So I guess I have to the ghosting in another program then?

For some recent instructions I've made, I've done the building in LDcad, and then switched to MLcad to create the steps, rotation steps, buffer exchange, etc.

Ghosting is an exclusive feature of MLCad.

You Ghost a brick or more in a submodel when using buffer exchange (also MLCad exclusive) to hide it in the main model so you do not get confused by all floating elements when editing.

If you use LDCad to model your design and create instructions in LPub, you don't need to ghost any part.

Another question:

My filesize has grown over 5 MB (which is an issue for rebrickable when I try to upload my model there). I figured all the flexaxles I used are causing this so I removed some of them, but it hardly matters for the filesize. When inspecting the file it looks like the bezier curve information is still there. Any thoughts?

I'm using LDCad v1.4

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Another question:

My filesize has grown over 5 MB (which is an issue for rebrickable when I try to upload my model there). I figured all the flexaxles I used are causing this so I removed some of them, but it hardly matters for the filesize. When inspecting the file it looks like the bezier curve information is still there. Any thoughts?

I'm using LDCad v1.4

You probably just removed the part from the model and not from the file. I don't know if you're familiar with .mpd files (how they're structured), but essentially when you add a flexible part, you add it just like another submodel: as a submodel (or maybe 'subpart' if you will). That means that when you remove the part from the model, the actual submodel isn't removed.

I've had this 'problem' myselves too in the past, but actually forgot about it. It would be a nice addition/'fix' for LDCad 1.6.

With normal submodels (you've made yourselves) you can go to Model > Delete this subfile. However, the flexible parts (and other parts if there are any in the .mpd) are not shown in the .mpd contents in the part bin. So once you've removed the part from the model, there's no way to access the part to remove it from the actual file.

When you remove on, you either have to double click the flexible part to enter the 'submodel' then remove it using Model > Delete this subfile and after that remove the actual useage of the part in the model (which is difficult now because it's not visible anymore because you deleted it). Or, remove it from the model (like you did) and then open up a text editor and look for the part and remove it manually.

Phew, I hope that makes a bit of sense :look::grin:

Btw: I really recommend using 1.5 if you're making instructions. The new source editor is really nice for that :wink:

I think the answer from legolijntje is correct.

However the felxible parts do show in the "part bin". You can edit these just like any other submodel (clicking the wrench icon) and then delete it.

Edited by Jaco

I think the answer from legolijntje is correct.

However the felxible parts do show in the "part bin". You can edit these just like any other submodel (clicking the wrench icon) and then delete it.

At first I though 'What? They don't show up for me!?', but then I realized there are multiple ways in LDCad to look at the contents of the file. All this time I was just using the first option. I've never realized that for over a year :facepalm::grin:

At first I though 'What? They don't show up for me!?', but then I realized there are multiple ways in LDCad to look at the contents of the file. All this time I was just using the first option. I've never realized that for over a year :facepalm::grin:

LOL

To comfort you a bit: it took me a while to figure that out too! :-)

@Jeroen Ottens

legolijntje is correct you need to remove the part it self from the file. This can be done from the "file content" part bin group combined with 'delete this subfile'.

The filesize is the result of the generated geometry for the flexible parts, which for most templates defaults to the 'deform' method. If you want to keep the flexible parts but with a reduce filesize you need to use the LQ template variants or reconfigure the exiting parts by editing their 'SKIN'. This is not 'easy' but if you want I could explain it to you. Which template did you use for those parts?

1.6 will offer an easier way to switch general quality / flex generator configurations.

edit: I see you used the technic flex axles, missed that before. Those don't have a LQ version at the moment but you could drasticly reduce the filesize by using the below section for all generated parts (use .e.g. notepad to replace the blocks.

0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndA.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndB.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=4] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=4] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndC.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepAll]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndD.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndE.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndF.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndG.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleMid.dat] [donYSize=400%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=segMerge] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=80%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=0] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=0] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndG.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndF.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndE.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndD.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndC.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndB.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=4] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=4] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcFlexAxleEndA.dat] [donYSize=100%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=refsDyn] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=true] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=1] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=1] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]

edit2: once you reload the model you need to do a 'CTRL+SHIFT+F05' to regenerate all flexible parts in the model and then save it to disk, it should be much smaller after that.

Hope this is somewhat clear :)

I've had this 'problem' myselves too in the past, but actually forgot about it. It would be a nice addition/'fix' for LDCad 1.6.

With normal submodels (you've made yourselves) you can go to Model > Delete this subfile. However, the flexible parts (and other parts if there are any in the .mpd) are not shown in the .mpd contents in the part bin. So once you've removed the part from the model, there's no way to access the part to remove it from the actual file.

You were probably using the 'all models' bin group it lists all loaded models no matter which mpd/ldr they are stored in. The 'File content' one lists everything in the current model's mpd. You can also use the menu which opens by clicking on the filename in the right top to navigate loaded model/parts.

Edited by roland

Many thanks guys

I have solved my issue now by manually deleting the flexaxle parts from the file, which was a bit of a chore, but it worked.

Now I only have to figure out how to push an axle inwards in the building instructions...

The axle is part of a submodule to make it more complex...