Tobysan

MOD: LEGO Bike Shop & Café 31026

Hi All,

Just sharing a modification of the LEGO Bike Shop & Café set.

My kid liked the original advanced build of the set but somehow it was a little too cramped even when opened up.

We additionally tried the easy and medium builds to see how it felt but somehow it still lacked room to play.

So we decided to revisit the whole concept of the Bike Shop & Café and modularize it.

Hub4.jpg

The concept of the modification is to merge the Bike shop and Café as one establishment allowing us to make a 2nd floor loft apartment, which meant more space across the board.

We reused alot of the interior pieces from the original set which were really nice.

We kept it to two floors to keep it relatively small, which gave us an opportunity to make a nice end lot to place with other modulars.

Unfortunately we couldn't stick to just the original pieces so we had to use various additional pieces we had, a 32x32 baseplate and alot of 2x2 tiles for the pavement.

My kid enjoys it and somehow prefers the removable floors vs the open-up approach.

As there's alot more detail in this build and I can't put up too many images you can check it out here.

http://www.boxtoy.co...isited-moc.html

Hope you guys like it.

Edited by Tobysan

AWESOME modular built out of that set....many a bike rider loves coffee.....right ? :wink:

Great 'Hub' sign on the building.......keep up the cool work and Brick On 'Tobysan' ! :grin:

Great work tobysan! Really like the idea of combining a cafe and bike shop into one storefront - feels like something you would see in the cool part of a real city. Excellent photos too!

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.

It was a fun build, took about 2 rounds to get it right but we got there. Highly addictive!

That's a beautiful piece of work. I've been considering buying this set for a while but seeing what you've managed to do has finally made me order it. The original is decent but that is just wonderful.

Did you use any other extra pieces apart from the base plate and 2x2 tiles?

Edited by Jules35

Hi Jules35,

Thanks and congratulations on your new purchase, you certainly won't be disappointed.

The piece variety and count makes the set worth having, furthermore you technically get 2 buildings so you can't go wrong there.

Let's see, additional parts if I recall right:

- Flat white 1x1 tiles

- Flat white 1x2 tiles

- Flat white 1x8 tiles

- White Profile 1x2 bricks

- Medium Gray 1x~ bricks

- White and Dark Blue 1x2/3 Sloped bricks (Needed a couple of dark blue of sloped bricks to reach across both sides)

- White and Azure 1x1/2/4 Plates for the signage

- 1 x Brown Ladder

- 2 x Bikes

That's what I can recall off the top of my head, but if you need more reference to parts just take a look at the additional detailed pics.

We had most of the above parts from previous Pick-a-Brick sessions but some had to be specifically acquired to achieve what we needed like the bikes and the signage.

Anyway the original Bike Shop & Cafe set is one of the few sets that have enough pieces and design elements to modify and extend so I think you'll enjoy figuring out what to do next with the set when the time comes.

Edited by Tobysan

Very nice! Very well done. And a great motivation to get on with my MOC, as I have three open boxes of 31026 right next to me... :classic:

Hi Tobysan

Thanks for listing the extra pieces. When I get the set I will make up the regular versions and then have a go at your version when I get some time. It really does look great.

Edited by Jules35

This makes me really want to buy it. I am saving up for the parisian restaurant, but this shows how versatile this set can be. Thank you! Great work, btw.

Same as trisha! I'm trying to see what sets to buy for the Black Friday promo, and this definitely makes me consider this set way more! Good job.

This makes me really want to buy it. I am saving up for the parisian restaurant, but this shows how versatile this set can be. Thank you! Great work, btw.

TrIsha, coincidentally I got the 31026 before I got the Parisian. Which kinda ended being a good thing cause I built the 31026, left it in its original nice build for a while. Then I got the Parisian and learnt alot from it to built this.

Same as trisha! I'm trying to see what sets to buy for the Black Friday promo, and this definitely makes me consider this set way more! Good job.

Hope you found a got deal. Can't go wrong with the 31026 either way.

Hello :)

I bought it yesterday, yay! I let them wrap it so I don't feel tempted to open it before christmas :D

And as a cool bonus I got the calendar (well the coupon for it) and the winter scene.

Really happy!

And well, noobie me, I saw a bunch of blue tiles in the PAB wall, so I got a big cup, got many of those and also tan 1*4 tiles, thinking of expanding it like you did. And when I asked while paying... it's not the same blue :-S hahaha. Oh well, maybe I can sort of put it in between and see if it doesn't look too bad. I think according to some pictures it should be dark azure. Who knows, it might be my "happy little accident"

Thank you so much for the inspiration :D

Cool! Nothing wrong with making it yours, this mod was put together with coincidentally found parts and colours a well.

Enjoy your build!

Excellent idea, and brilliantly executed.

Like you, I was excited by the look and design of the Bike Shop & Cafe, but disappointed to find how cramped it is, and how poorly it scales into a town layout. Many thanks for the marvelous inspiration - you managed to maintain all the asthetic appeal, while resolving all the shortcomings. Bravo.

Excellent idea, and brilliantly executed.

Like you, I was excited by the look and design of the Bike Shop & Cafe, but disappointed to find how cramped it is, and how poorly it scales into a town layout. Many thanks for the marvelous inspiration - you managed to maintain all the asthetic appeal, while resolving all the shortcomings. Bravo.

Thanks and no worries AirborneAFOL.

I hate to ask but is there any chance of a parts list and ldd file to reconstruct this beautiful build?

Hey thewatchman,

Sorry but I was pretty much freestylin' with the build so I didn't get a chance to document parts or instructions.

The build took 2 tear downs before getting to this one which made it harder to remember the specific details of parts I used as I tested and utilised parts I had lying around from various picking session.

Hope my photos help though, I intentionally uploaded larger sized images so that everyone could have a closer look at the build.

Tobysan

Hi all! jut finished building it. It was great fun, though I encountered two issues: I seem to be missing a grey 1x2 plate and I am also noticing colour differences in the "powder blue" bricks. Anyone else? How do I go about it? contact lego or lego store?

Thank you very much!

Trish

Excellent build! :classic: Enjoyed watching the video to all the details inside the shop. :thumbup: Perfect replacement for Cafe Corner for those who didn't managed to get 1? :grin:

Thanks.

Hi all! jut finished building it. It was great fun, though I encountered two issues: I seem to be missing a grey 1x2 plate and I am also noticing colour differences in the "powder blue" bricks. Anyone else? How do I go about it? contact lego or lego store?

Thank you very much!

Trish

Hi Trisha,

I've never experienced this before myself but I'm guessing online wise LEGO has this option for missing pieces...

http://service.lego..../missing-pieces

which leads to this page so you should be able to resolve the issue with your country listed there.

https://service.lego...arts/#BasicInfo

Hope that helps.

Love the 'remodelling'. I have also considering buying this for the sole purpose of re working it into a modular. Apart from baseplate and pavement tiles, would you say it contains enough to build something viable? I know you have already but I want to copy your excellent example.