Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

As others have said, I would prefer to see a return to a bigger, more detailed, exterior. I mainly display mine and never look at the interiors. so while i appreciate the joy of building clever interior design i would still like a bit more bang for my buck in the actual imposing physicality of the building. Its probably the one set that i dont feel i need even to complete the collection.

To be fair, TLG has the Architecture line as well now, so the modulars don't necessarily have to always have super detailed exteriors. It's nice to see this one take itself a little less seriously. There have always been trade offs with each individual set in the series. PR is beautiful inside and out but it's small and not very modular, FB is a classic but only one floor is really furnished, GE is a lovely looking building and easily expanded but the build was boring...they're Lego's, you can always fix what you don't like.

To be fair, TLG has the Architecture line as well now, so the modulars don't necessarily have to always have super detailed exteriors.

Does. not. compute.

First, the architecture line isn't in minifig scale, and second, a lot of the builds are so far on the microscale side of things that the overall aim is to get the general shape of the building right. Architectural details on the level talked about here usually get lost completely.

Does. not. compute.

First, the architecture line isn't in minifig scale, and second, a lot of the builds are so far on the microscale side of things that the overall aim is to get the general shape of the building right. Architectural details on the level talked about here usually get lost completely.

Well said.

We keep hoping for more detailed arch series sets. The first two scheduled for 2015 certainly don't give us much hope for anything except small buildings with very little detail.

I have my PR sitting on computer right now, and I've taken off each level to analyze it's contents....... where is this super high level of detail that sacrificed space?

-the Top floor's roof is not actually detachable, so the area where the door is cannot really be accessed.

- the middle floor is sparse. outside furniture for restaurant is commendable.

- ground floor completely furnished.

I dont see super high level of detail compared to other modulars here... the ground floor is on par with GG's ground floor, and the other two floors are comparable with GE and LESS that TH's interior design.

we just got ripped off in size.

Let's see how DO gives us more detail......................................................

Does. not. compute.

The point being that at the debut of the modular line, they could have been considered architecture sets. Now with a dedicated line for people who want display pieces, the modulars can concentrate on being a bit more toy like than in the past.

How does the Architecture line relate to Creator modulars? They're 2 entirely different themes. It's not like, "Wow. The downsizing trend for modulars is rather disappointing. I think I'll start picking up Architecture sets." If anything, modulars are becoming glorified City sets.

The point being that at the debut of the modular line, they could have been considered architecture sets. Now with a dedicated line for people who want display pieces, the modulars can concentrate on being a bit more toy like than in the past.

i disagree.

they are popular or iconic sets today because they are adult orientated, complex and seen as architectural wonders. remove this prestige from them (thus make large doll-houses), then it's over. you have killed the goose for it's golden eggs.

Creator shops and houses are to cater for this. the Modulars are grand and complex buildings

the DO is leaning towards being a super-sized creator set akin to the bicycle shop/pizza shop

'Grand and complex buildings'......that's what I want. I don't want a painters brush, a cup and saucer and a camera for a minifig to hold. I want a building.

To even bring up the architecture series is ridiculous. Arch series is mostly a set of small, non detailed buildings that can be built in an hour or less.

Edited by Off the wall

You mean to tell me CC wasn't just a doll house in Lego form?

It's telling that Lego rebranded the modulars as Creator Expert rather than as Architecture.

Besides, each set has always had it's trade offs. So DO is visually not up to par to you, but PR was absolutely stunning, to the point where it stands out in an average street as much as PC does. I like that DO is more plain, it gives off exactly the vibe that a decetives office above a pool hall should.

Have they not always been glorified city sets? They're buildings...in minifigure scale...

The first arch set came out after the CC, so much for branding CC architecture. Arch is significant buildings and landmarks. In the real,world.

Apples and oranges.

And, no,modulars are not supposed to be glorified city sets.

Edited by Off the wall

I would not compare the modulars to City structures any more than I would compare them to the Architecture series.

City structures are built for play features and they always have an open back, therefore they are more of a half building. They are nowhere near as detailed as the modulars and fairly simplistic .

My guess is that the modulars' largest market is adults or older teens. They bought these sets precisely because they are detailed, more challenging to build (unlike City or Architecture), and make good display pieces. As someone mentioned, I mainly use mine for display, therefore the interior is not really visible. Like most of the others have said, exterior detail is most important. I do not mind a few interior details, but I do not want the exterior sacrificed in order to furnish an interior. I can always go back and furnish the interior myself. If these become more like doll houses, and goofy play features like cookie prohibition barrel routes take root along with a diminished exterior appearance, I could very well change my buying habits. I would probably be more inclined to create my own MOCs or even purchase the instructions on a third party site if I find the building really appealing.

I do plan on purchasing DO, but am certainly not in a rush. I have never purchased architecture due to the total lack of detail and the disproportionate cost. I could probably build the Empire State building cheaper from online PAB than I could be purchasing the kit. Sure, I do not get the printed tile label or the book, but is that really the selling point? As for City, only the train accessories really appeal to me right now.

Most of Lego is made for kids, and rightfully so. If there is a small fraction of sets targeted for adults and teens, why do we need to dumb them down, fix what is not broken, and make them kid friendly? Isn't that what City, Ninjago, Chima, Superheroes, etc. is for?

I usually can't afford to buy more than one modular but with the holidays and all I'll be in a position to get the DO and one more. I'm wondering if two DO's would make the most sense since it is in most need of being expanded.

edit- forgot which thread I was in.

Edited by BirdOPrey5

I wonder if someone who works for TLG could clarify a bit where this theme is going. I have a feeling the "goofy play features" and numbing down weren't Jamie Berard's own initiated idea, but it probably wasn't unintentional either. Someone chose to do it this way, and had a reason for it. Can we know why? The world doesn't owe me anything, but it would help to know. If it continues, i'll be looking into new hobbies or a different theme to collect.

Well I suppose you can all voice your concerns to TLG and not spend your money on this set. I like the set and I don't mine that itsw more fun and less serious. I also like the doll house like nature of these, so I guess that's where my bias comes from.

I usually can't afford to buy more than one modular but with the holidays and all I'll be in a position to get the DO and one more. I'm wondering if two DO's would make the most sense since it is in most need of being expanded.

edit- forgot which thread I was in.

DO to me looks easily expandable and certainly could benefit from it. An additional middle floor or two would be nice, though The Highlander would also look great with a bar inside, and the cookies could easily become moonshine or meth or whatever.

i very much prefer story lines and minifigs with accessories plus detailed parts to give LIFE to a set......I see the CC as boring but the PR and DO as full of life and action. I guess some people are fans of "Life Without People".......yet again everyone is allowed their own opinion on this subject.

My hope for the future of this theme is to grow this idea of detailing and story lines to breathe life into people's modular cities.

I wonder if someone who works for TLG could clarify a bit where this theme is going. I have a feeling the "goofy play features" and numbing down weren't Jamie Berard's own initiated idea, but it probably wasn't unintentional either. Someone chose to do it this way, and had a reason for it. Can we know why? The world doesn't owe me anything, but it would help to know. If it continues, i'll be looking into new hobbies or a different theme to collect.

My hope is that this growing critical response will instigate a movement back to what we are calling Gen1 modular features. I do kind of gauge that there was not this level of negativity surrounding the release of earlier modulars although DO more or so confirmed our fears put in by PR.

However, I do not think the sales of the DO will reinforce our pleas for a return to the original modular scheme as we are all likely to get at least one anyway. Once again my LEGO addiction betrays me.

Edited by Moebius118

I for one lover the detailed interiors. I think the DO is perfect in size and all around detail. Not every building has to be grand or whatever. I'm fine with normal everyday buildings.

The look of the Detective's Office does lean more towards Creator than the traditional modular buildings. I've done a review of it and my inclusion is that it's a great set - it was a fun and interesting build, has loads of features and a great selection of parts. Loads of bricks in Dark Blue, Medium Blue and Bright Light Blue and also 1x4 brick bricks in Medium Dark Flesh.

The look of the Detective's Office does lean more towards Creator than the traditional modular buildings. I've done a review of it and my inclusion is that it's a great set - it was a fun and interesting build, has loads of features and a great selection of parts. Loads of bricks in Dark Blue, Medium Blue and Bright Light Blue and also 1x4 brick bricks in Medium Dark Flesh.

Thanks for the review. I do look forward to the set (just a couple of days to go). I don't have the same complaints as others have about the size of the set and all, because I like the life it brings to the set. What I do regret is that they put the instructions in one booklet. I always enjoyed building the sets with my children in parallel (distributing the floors to build), which is now slightly more difficult. Now we'll have to bring out the tablets to get that done.

I have my PR sitting on computer right now, and I've taken off each level to analyze it's contents....... where is this super high level of detail that sacrificed space?

-the Top floor's roof is not actually detachable, so the area where the door is cannot really be accessed.

- the middle floor is sparse. outside furniture for restaurant is commendable.

- ground floor completely furnished.

I dont see super high level of detail compared to other modulars here... the ground floor is on par with GG's ground floor, and the other two floors are comparable with GE and LESS that TH's interior design.

we just got ripped off in size.

Let's see how DO gives us more detail......................................................

If PR doesn't have a high level of detail then where did all the pieces come from? At 2469 pieces, there is something there, since I did not get it yet, I wonder if the walls are all just broken up into smaller pieces now. If you all have noticed, the piece counts might be high, but the pieces are such that you get a lot but they aren't comparable to the earlier modular sets.

Architecture line...agree, I own them all, so apples to oranges between those sets and the modular, you can't compare them. Architecture is true adult just look at the offerings, they don't have any play functionality at all. They are higher end display pieces. The new ones, Lincoln is so tiny it's just there though and some genius (saracastic) thought the Flatiron building needed to be made. That line is dying off really, no creativity in choices at all.

City sets compare more to Modular than anything, as pointed out, they are open usually for the most play, but modular to me is the big house, I would never get this and build it for an 8 year old even though they would find it fun. I am about ready to sell all my Modulars except HH as it is, the line drives me nuts with these "stories"

Also the DO is 2262 pieces so same price as PR but just slightly higher count than PS and PC...guess 2200 pieces is the level where they raise the price $10.

Also the DO is 2262 pieces so same price as PR but just slightly higher count than PS and PC...guess 2200 pieces is the level where they raise the price $10.

I guess 2014 is the level they raised the prices.

I doubt LEGO prices per piece- it is likely weight is a more accurate reflection of price. No doubt LEGO can produce dozens of 1x1 flat grey tiles for the same cost as it costs to make a 6x10 plate. I'm sure some colors cost more than others too.

either way, price per piece or weight, I doubt that it is $10 for 200 pieces or less