Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

It was nice to see a review with so many pictures. Now, I'll buy two and pick a brick the parts I need for the modification. If I bought three or four, I'd have hundreds (if not thousands) of parts that I'd never use.

I recall the release video of the PR explaining that size was sacrificed for interior detail this time round. I'm famous for constantly going on about the size of the PR.

It now appears from studying the brickset review, this BS has been used again, and is probably the new norm for modulars.

The part count is rubbish so let's put that aside. I will use weight to get my point across.

IMO, they are bedazzling us with 300 grams of additional interior, then reduce the exterior by 800 grams. Giving with one hand whilst taking with the other.

Leave the storyline for city sets. Give me grand buildings with strong and robust designs.

I will still buy it, I still like it, but I can see through the cost cutting. Sadly, these gen 2 modulars (PC-DO) will never compare to the gen 1 modulars (CC-TH).

Edited by glendo

Definitely the trend. Probably going to capture more fans instead of just AFOLs. Main problem is price going up, but smaller scale buildings.

I only need the PR and the DO to complete my mod set. I'm going to pick one up on jan 5th to get double points in the UK and hopefully get the polybag exclusive. After reading the review as good as it seems I think ill pick up Pr instead. I've always loved the look of it particularly the colours used so I'll be leaving the DO until a later date when there are notable deals on (polybags etc)

I personally prefer seeing more detailed building on both the interior and exterior, not just bricks, windows and doors......but creative use of SNOT, unusual ways of using particular parts (i.e. The Simpson's hot dog lamp) and a story line to build more off of.

Again though everyone has their opinions on this subject.

I'll be totally tempted by the DO and maybe the PR as well.......scratch build part of the PS too. :grin:

Leave the storyline for city sets. Give me grand buildings with strong and robust designs.

I will still buy it, I still like it, but I can see through the cost cutting. Sadly, these gen 2 modulars (PC-DO) will never compare to the gen 1 modulars (CC-TH).

I am 100 percent in agreement. Its almost painful to see the new modulars juxtaposed up against the old. The size difference is appalling. Like I am looking at a different town entirely. Not just in height too, but that bare back alleyway also stands in stark evidence to what was lost.

Definitely the trend. Probably going to capture more fans instead of just AFOLs. Main problem is price going up, but smaller scale buildings.

Exactly, I only own the Grand Emporium (and the haunted house), and I like the overall look and size. I was planning to get the DO, but just looking at the size is disappointing, and the price is $10 more than the originals. Honestly, I think I prefer not that much interior, but for the building to be taller.

I agree on the size. I will probably add an extra level, but darn it, I shouldn't have to!

edit for grammar fail....

Edited by pugmom

I have to agree that the trend associated with size and more attention to the interior is not necessarily a good thing. I really liked the PR, but did not expect smaller buildings than everything before it to become the norm. It sort of reminds me of the Wendy's value meal. At first, it was great, and they had a nice dollar menu. Then, I noticed that either the food portions got smaller, or they bumped the price up, or they did both. This seems to be what is happening with Lego in general. We are getting smaller sets which cost more. Piece count might be comparable with the older ones, but there does seem to be a lot more of the smaller ones. I realize the vast majority of Lego is directed at children, but I honestly thought that the modular series and some of the creator/expert sets are geared more for TFOLs and AFOLs. This is not something you buy for an 8 year old. The DO is probably something I will purchase, but it is kind of unsettling to see how small it is compared to others. I do not mind some interior details, but I do not want it to significantly impact the exterior to where it does not compare to others. I also do not get the whole "cookie prohibition" thing either. There are wine bottles in PR, the Barrel Escape Hobbit set, last year's Thanksgiving feast set, a green one in this year's city advent calendar, and the Star Wars Mos Eisley Cantina does not appear to be simply serving Aunt Berus blue milk. Therefore, I do not buy the whole "no alcohol" thing that TLG supposedly is holding to.

On a whole LEGO sets have been degrading in a way that's hard to describe. We're getting awesome new sets and pieces all the time, but part of the magic of that defined many lines is easily getting lost. It just feels like now they're doing stuff just for the sake of it, like Minecraft and its updates.

I personally see gen 1 modulars as CC-GG. Gen 2 would include FB-TH and gen 3 would be PC-now

I'm still going to get the DO but the set only comes with 2.5 floors compared to the PR and its even shorter. It just feels too small for $159.99 and would it kill them to design a full third floor. In my opinion the PR was really great because it had such a nice balance of detail. I really miss the nice full sized modulars like the GG and FB but those days are long gone and you can clearly see Lego's greed with their shrinking sets and increasing prices.

Edited by The Executive

It definitely looks smaller next to other modulars than I expected it to. As someone who never does anything with the interiors after I build them, I would definitely prefer an impressive exterior, but I understand the opposing viewpoint. Seems like they could have done more with the exterior, though, to me...

I'll still pick one up as it looks like a fun build, but I hope this trend of smaller buildings doesn't continue..

The PR is higher in number of pieces by around 300 pieces than the DO...

Little disappointing as if they made it at least same pieces as the PR then we can even see more features, levels...

The PR and DO are nothing more than starting points for me. Buy them, expand them and discard hundreds of parts that I can't use and don't value. Of course, it's unfortunate that either multiple copies of the same set and/or PAB orders have to be purchased in order to achieve what some of you have referred to as a gen 1 modular. Not everyone is inclined to make additional purchases to compensate for what should probably have been included with the set to begin with.

Edited by Off the wall

Isn't the word "modular" used with these buildings because it was originally intended for them to get expanded? Since they all looked ok from a single set, not many people actually bought more of the same set just to add a floor. Now you might start to. Since DO is barely over the line of worth buying for me, i'm likely not getting 2 of them, but I can see many falling for this.

'Falling' is probably the wrong verb for some of us. I'll buy extra sets to expand the original. It's a lot easier for me than buying bricks and waiting weeks for them to arrive through PAB. I call the store and make the two mile drive over there and pick up the set. Pieces that are useless to me wind up in a five gallon bin.

In the corner cafe instructions, they included ideas on how to combine multiple CCs. I'd like current sets to also include the designers ideas of how multiple copies of the same set can be incorporated into one larger building.

So, people like me really haven't fallen for anything. We simply recognize that the interests of those who enjoyed what has been referred to as the 'gen 1' modulars have pretty much been abandoned by TLG in favor of a modular series that's more of a City type product with less value than the original modulars.

No hard feelings. Someone changed my toys. Not my health insurance coverage.

Make sure after you get the set and you follow the survey link at the end of the instruction booklet you let LEGO know you are unhappy with the size of this modular- I'd also prefer larger buildings and less interior detail if that is the trade off.

I decided that I'll put off buying the DO until the next Double VIP Points special. Then I'll get two sets and build expanded, stand-alone versions of the two buildings.

For now, I'll focus on aquiring the pieces for a MOC I planned in LDD and building it - a 3500 piece corner modular in about the same scale as Green Grocer :excited:

Make sure after you get the set and you follow the survey link at the end of the instruction booklet you let LEGO know you are unhappy with the size of this modular- I'd also prefer larger buildings and less interior detail if that is the trade off.

Not to worry. I will. Plus,,I,always review on Lego.com

Oops...edited

Edited by Off the wall

I think it looks fantastic, especially next to Green Grocer. Finally some substantial height difference in buildings.