Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

I love the rooftop extension Dr Joesph, minimal parts and not too much change to the original structure. If you've got and LLD files, i'd like to see them.

With only about 150 extra parts I modded the DO to better fit into my layout.

qTxl9Lfl.jpg

I added a sloped roof with high windows to give the impression as if it was a newly built loft conversion onto the old building. I moved the water tower onto the other building to have some space, I think of adding a roof terrace for the new built condo.

OtoX0ALl.jpg

Close up of the windows in the front.

ShUyNPDl.jpg

I made the backside out of dark gray and gray bricks since I had a few of those lying around.

fdYZVj6l.jpg

However, no one likes to live in a gray home so I had to borrow a well known fig to help the new flat-owners out. The interiors feature the small kitchen moved from its original place and a small table for two. A bed will follow as soon as the paint job is done.

1AqLna2l.jpg

Finally, this is how the modded DO fits into my street layout, between a mirrored PR and the currently under renovation being PS.

Criticism welcome.

That looks awesome! I think you've solved my dilemma so thank you so much! By using you trick I finally can start picturing how the DO will fit into my layout.

Adding a mansard roof to the DO was one of the first modding ideas that came to my mind when the firest pictures surfaced.

You've done a nice job on it, though I would've completely removed the front of the original roof (where you already took out the hero Factory fists) to get a smoother transition.

:thumbup::classic:

I love the rooftop extension Dr Joesph, minimal parts and not too much change to the original structure. If you've got and LLD files, i'd like to see them.

Sure, here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kf7DS6YodTM1ZrZk1UX0Y2NGM/view?usp=sharing

My aim was to add to the building with as few additional pieces than possible. The first design was made with only 150 additional pieces, the final design has around 200 pieces not in the set.

Love to roof mod. I think I might borrow that idea once I get around to adding some extra floorspace to the ground floor.

the roof mod looks the best right now out of all other mods.

I've never seen another modular released thus far that has had so many people completing enhancing it since release.

Great job on the roof modification! Looks like it was meant to be there! Thanks for providing the file. Makes me want to actually learn to use ldd lol.

The Detective's Office is a great modular building. I do like the colours and the "story behind". But may be, the rooms are a little bit to small.

The size of the building is fine. Okay, there is one floor missing on the left side. But just have look around in your own city. :)

This is my review:

Edited by Zusammengebaut

Is it just me that's has a totally different shade of 1x3 blue bricks? They are verging on yellowed.

You're right.. i had the same experience... but as it just concerned the sidewalls, i do not have a very big problem with it.. But it is indeed a rather big difference in color between the 1x3 blue bricks and the 1x2 bricks.... here is a picture i found on Flickr.. 15496957623_987c62c465_b.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

Lego apparently really needs to work on their quality control regarding the color mixing. The blue bricks on Pet Shop were two very distinct shades of sand blue aswell, and it's also noticable in other colors, even very common ones like light bley.

I think the added height helps it for sure, but I don't love the black roofing. I don't necessarily think dark bley would look better so to speak, but there seems to be something jarring with the black that close to the other colors.

Either way, nice modification. I think I will end up doing something after I get the DO also, but not sure what just yet.

Lego have been having colour issues on and off for the past few years......but in this case with the DO it might not be a downside.......having slight shade issues could give the structure a more brick built appearance....no two bricks are really the same in real life ? :wink:

You're right.. i had the same experience... but as it just concerned the sidewalls, i do not have a very big problem with it.. But it is indeed a rather big difference in color between the 1x3 blue bricks and the 1x2 bricks.... here is a picture i found on Flickr..

While in reality it doesn't bother me, for $160 it should be damn near perfect.

Lego have been having colour issues on and off for the past few years......but in this case with the DO it might not be a downside.......having slight shade issues could give the structure a more brick built appearance....no two bricks are really the same in real life ? :wink:

That is true, LT, but i think that, as BirdOPrey5 says: for 160 euros or dollars it should match better.... For me personally, it is not a big deal.. And maybe, if you are not happy with the 1x3 bricks.. you could Always contact TLG, and i am sure you would get replacement for the 1x3 bricks.. next question would be: do the replaced bricks match the color of the other bricks better?

While in reality it doesn't bother me, for $160 it should be damn near perfect.

You're pretty right if you see it this way... Concerning clone-brands, you could expect this...but for Lego standards, the color-difference should not be that big...

I like the set as it is, but I agree with others that there's room for improvement. I also like what others did to the set to make it fit in with their other buildings. I compared the set with the PS, as it's a lower building(s), and I think that DO fits nicely with PS. I like the colour combination and different styles.

16299551119_b44f38736f_z.jpg

As far as design goes, I'm pretty sure TLG designers have some limits they have to respect, and it's really hard to make a building that would impressive everyone.

Adding a mansard roof to the DO was one of the first modding ideas that came to my mind when the firest pictures surfaced.

You've done a nice job on it, though I would've completely removed the front of the original roof (where you already took out the hero Factory fists) to get a smoother transition.

:thumbup::classic:

I tried a few ways of adding the roof, with the whole hero fists in place to nothing of the original building at all and felt like the way it is now fits best. It is also a nice bonus since I wanted the parts of the buildings to "clash" as a clear giveaway as to what is part of the "old building" and what belongs to the "new" addition of the converted roof space.

I think the added height helps it for sure, but I don't love the black roofing. I don't necessarily think dark bley would look better so to speak, but there seems to be something jarring with the black that close to the other colors.

Either way, nice modification. I think I will end up doing something after I get the DO also, but not sure what just yet.

Same as above. I guess it could work better if I replace the dark bley pieces below the roof with black ones or use a kinda reddish/brownish color scheme for the roof.

I really like the roof--it looks nice, and it fits the style of the building well. However, it does show me that I prefer some height difference (to each their own, of course--but it does help me as I'm deciding how to build my city, so I'm grateful for that!).

I've now come this far in py procet. My initial aim was to buy four sets, combine two of them to a 64-wide and use the extra two to build one extra floor. But I decided that two brick-brick buildings would look boring and decided to use dark red instead.

800x600.jpg

The next stage will be to use the existing extra brick-brick pieces to build an additional floor above the DO and to use more dark red pieces to build a similar addition on the opposite side, making the whole building three floors high.

I'm also going to have to do some bricklinking for the windows and for dark red plates.

As for the blue part, I will have to get rid of the side walls now facing one another, refurbish the barbershop and place the Al's sign in the middle of the blue building. Probably not going to finish this anytime soon.

Edited by finnbricker