Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

Hmmm..not sure but I kind of like 'Al's' with the second word open to interpretation. :-)

I guess that's why "Al's".....because it was easy.....and Al sounds a typical barbers name or that of diner ! :wink:

Are you going to leave the 'alley' between the buildings when you expand the DO or will you expand the Pool Hall so that it's wider?

I was planning to, but I will have to work out whereabouts in my city this is going to go first to see whether an alleyway is appropriate. I still need to upgrade my PR as well, so that will require my town to be re-arranged too.

I don't love how it looks compared to other modular buildings. I've said it before. But looking at the Photoshop I think I might be the only person that prefers the blue. I think in the smaller width the light blue works, but when you expand it, it is too much. Switching it to brown just makes it boring.

With that said, I typically don't alter the sets. I like working in that footprint. Limits to scale makes you more creative. With that said, again I must be alone, but if I were to mod this set, I wouldn't change al's, I'd actually change that ugly brick facade on the pool hall.

Just interesting how everyone is different.

Edited by TheLegoDr

I was planning to, but I will have to work out whereabouts in my city this is going to go first to see whether an alleyway is appropriate. I still need to upgrade my PR as well, so that will require my town to be re-arranged too.

I'll do one build like it looks on the box. Then, after stock piling three or four more sets, I'll build up a story and eliminate the alley. Of course, on the modified version the blue bricks will also be replaced.

I like the one more level to fit in with the current offerings, but 2 more, while cool looking, would seem skyscraper to the current buildings. I do agree, if you are going to leave the blue, the skinny works, but the expanded across does not seem to work together with the light blue, darker blue maybe, I just see this offering as something that needs dark colors myself.

Agreed. If the rest of your city block is that tall, it might look okay. As a stand alone, or next to something like the PR, it's awkward. Sort of like those pictures of the GE that I've seen where people build up several stories but don't increase the width of the building. Awkward.

I am curious if a lot of people are going to buy more than one DO right away, or just one and then buy more later? I was thinking of getting 2 right away. I want to increase the depth to fill out most of the baseplate. This set reminds me a lot of the false front buildings on a movie back lot, like Universal Studios.

Agreed. If the rest of your city block is that tall, it might look okay. As a stand alone, or next to something like the PR, it's awkward. Sort of like those pictures of the GE that I've seen where people build up several stories but don't increase the width of the building. Awkward.

Haha, guess I'm not the only person who thinks that every time I see a disproportioned GE

I am curious if a lot of people are going to buy more than one DO right away, or just one and then buy more later? I was thinking of getting 2 right away. I want to increase the depth to fill out most of the baseplate. This set reminds me a lot of the false front buildings on a movie back lot, like Universal Studios.

I'll buy two at the store and order two on line the first day. The arch series Lincoln Memorial can wait as can the new SW offering. I want to build the DO per instructions and then use the other three to create a taller building without blue bricks or an alley.

I misread AL'S CUT several times before I got it. :laugh:

Me too :laugh:

I'll expand my Detective's Office aswell, soon as I get it. I'll also turn them into separate buildings

From the sounds of this forum alone, this sounds like a set LEGO may end up putting purchase limits on launch day.

I wonder if it will be difficult for me to just get one walking in the store on Jan 5th. Do you guys think there will be a serious run on demand on day 1?

All I can say is I'll be ordering one online the first day it is available, if that is the 1st I'm not going to risk waiting until the 5th and there being a 4 week backorder.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but maybe this is how the water tower is built:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/132951

Highly unlikely LEGO would be using the track links for this purpose.

Having just tried it, I have to say that it looks very much like the tank in the pictures. And having a gear under those tracks justifies the use of a Technic cross axle Good find, 'PastVPresent'!

since it is Dec 19, I really doubt it, what's the point of letting VIP's have it 11 days early? I would have hoped they would do it around Black Friday, but this is not really any different than last year with the PR.

All I can say is I'll be ordering one online the first day it is available, if that is the 1st I'm not going to risk waiting until the 5th and there being a 4 week backorder.

Sorry I thought I read earlier in this thread the 1st day of availability was Jan 5. Might have been elsewhere. Or my imagination.

I live 5 minutes away from a Lego outlet so I will be there on the 1st. And again on the 5th if it was not available. Any visit after that date, if still unavailable, will be in angry mob mode.

I am so glad they featured a picture of it parked to the left of the PR. That was where I was planning on putting it and was anxious on how it would look..

Looking at that review, I again wonder if they couldn't have made it a bit bigger while not increasing the piece count too much by just using bigger bricks.

Just look at it, the blue building seems to be built entirely out of 1x2s and 1x4s, even in places where much bigger bricks could've been used easily. The older modulars made extensive use of 1x6 and 1x8s (or even longer one wide bricks) to get the plain walls out of the way, in the DO, the largest we get apparently are a couple 1x6 in the brown building.