Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

good job poindexter, have never been to Baltimore, but I like that Blue Moon Café...still don't like the color scheme on the DO but at least there is obvious pics for the blue..now find neon green

Oh did I mention, it really doesn't matter I guess in the end, we are all going to buy it. I will just buy it and enjoy it for what I want and ignore the rest as mentioned. In the grand scheme of life, it's not huge, just something to converse about in this discussion. I will just hope the Museum gets built as is and other modular buildings in the next of the series goes back to the style I like.

You did an excellent job of finding buildings in the targeted color however, if the modular looked like this,

A public library

july4_15.JPG

I am sure there would be rioting in the streets and governments would be overthrown.

Edited by Moebius118

That's funny about the coloring. I actually like the blue. I don't like the brick brick facade. The nougat color can be okay, but I don't want it like that for some reason. I also don't understand the brown inbetween. That is essentially more of the blue building, so why is it brown? It seems like a lot of colors for one facade. I think that is the problem most people have. But maybe they don't like the colors.

Market Street was a lighter blue too. I realize most people are hit/miss on that design, but I haven't heard too many qualms with the color.

I like the cool yellow color, although I don't like it in proximity to the nougat color. I have plans of switching the nougat color to something else AND not include a brick facade. I'll see how I figure it out.

EDIT: Also, in my mind, the "olden days" were all black/white. No colors would be used. That might just be me though...

I was wondering the same thing about the middle section, it technically should be the blue shades, why is it different? Since I spend way too much time on BrickLink, I know that that brick patterned brick only comes in the nougat color in a 1x4 size. Its in a few more colors in the 1x2 brick (tan, grey), and I wonder how it would look in the tan color. Maybe a better look would be tan, and just have some of the wall in the brick pattern, kind of like the way the side wall of the PC is done.

This is the first modular that I feel like changing to suit my tastes too, and not keep a pristine original, like I have done with all the others I have.

good job poindexter, have never been to Baltimore, but I like that Blue Moon Café...still don't like the color scheme on the DO but at least there is obvious pics for the blue..now find neon green

Not to stray off topic but...

Here is something from San Francisco

3087803715_6c6ba8bd2a_o-copy.jpg

Weaverds013.jpg

And a commercial storefront

BlownBuilding.jpg

But this one looks nice even with the funky green

Lime-Green-Building-265319.jpg

Edited by mrpoindexter

I wonder what the detective building would look like if the masonry bricks were substituted for the technique used for the brick pattern on the Fire Brigade but in the same flesh color. I know the two aren't supposed to represent the same type of wall, but just wondering.

I wonder what the detective building would look like if the masonry bricks were substituted for the technique used for the brick pattern on the Fire Brigade but in the same flesh color. I know the two aren't supposed to represent the same type of wall, but just wondering.

That would be an interesting look.

I am torn about the DO, I like the details but I am not 100% comfortable about the layout. The colors do not bother me and as others have noted it is similar enough to the MS. I am going to wait till I get the building next to my GE to determine if, or how much, I mod it.

The DO looks great, but I might need to fiddle around with it to make the rooms a bit wider. I don't think my fingers would comfortably fit with how tight it looks from the promo shots. Well never really kno til I get my hands on it. Wonder if I'll need to get 2 so I can make something I'm a bit more comfortable with.

Not to stray off topic but...

Here is something from San Francisco

3087803715_6c6ba8bd2a_o-copy.jpg

Friends on steriods! :laugh:

Edited by Withacee

DO looks good. I might buy a couple of these. But I can't help but feel that detective must be pretty ignorant to not be able to smell those cookies baking upstairs. :laugh:

DO looks good. I might buy a couple of these. But I can't help but feel that detective must be pretty ignorant to not be able to smell those cookies baking upstairs. :laugh:

Sinus condition! Don't dis the breathing impaired. ;) ;)

Andy D

I don't mind the blue at all. After all, I have this on my shelf, too:

10190.jpg

No problems there.

Its visible in the Dutch S@H now. Unfortunately, its again 10 euros more than in Germany. I guess I'll be visiting Oberhausen in a couple of weeks.

I live in the Netherlands too and plan to visit my first Lego Shop ever on the 20th of December in Oberhausen. Too bad the DO won't be available until January...

The DO looks great, but I might need to fiddle around with it to make the rooms a bit wider. I don't think my fingers would comfortably fit with how tight it looks from the promo shots. Well never really kno til I get my hands on it. Wonder if I'll need to get 2 so I can make something I'm a bit more comfortable with.

Two sets isn't a bad idea and then build each building larger on their own baseplate. After seeing the pictures of this set and having put together the Parisian Restaurant (which had small interior space) I'm a little concerned that smaller interior spaces might be the new trend for the Modular sets...which is not good for AFOLS with big hands like me.

Sinus condition! Don't dis the breathing impaired. ;) ;)

That's right! He's allergic to flowers! No wonder the lady in red has planted them near his window. And the flower-cart would be perfect to hide the sweets in.

You have a good point there.......no door on that kitchen area means the smell of baking could drift down the staircase, depending on the draft in the stairwell.

If Ace had a dog, the case would be cracked in under ten seconds.......dogs smell better than us of course and they love food ! :wink:

Ah, now if the lady in red is wearing perfume and that letter is scented then he might not smell the candy/cookie production going on ? :laugh:

You have a good point there.......no door on that kitchen area means the smell of baking could drift down the staircase, depending on the draft in the stairwell.

If Ace had a dog, the case would be cracked in under ten seconds.......dogs smell better than us of course and they love food ! :wink:

Ah, now if the lady in red is wearing perfume and that letter is scented then he might not smell the candy/cookie production going on ? :laugh:

It's simple: there's no nose on the lego classic face.

I was originally disappointed when I first heard that the new modular building was going to be Detective Agency as my idea of Detective Agency was quite different. But upon seeing the official pics and videos of the set, I am not very excited. Will definitely pick it up comes Jan.

Its visible in the Dutch S@H now. Unfortunately, its again 10 euros more than in Germany. I guess I'll be visiting Oberhausen in a couple of weeks.

An unfortunately this time in France it is at the same price as Belgium and Netherlands; previously they often had sets 10 € cheaper (and so I could go to the Lille Lego Store to buy it)

I saw it at the Lille (France) Lego store last Saturday, but unfortunately only on display in a glass case and not yet to sale. I liked it.

An unfortunately this time in France it is at the same price as Belgium and Netherlands; previously they often had sets 10 € cheaper (and so I could go to the Lille Lego Store to buy it)

I saw it at the Lille (France) Lego store last Saturday, but unfortunately only on display in a glass case and not yet to sale. I liked it.

2 birds with 1 stone. It's not like you have to follow the story line. The buildings can stand as is or changed a bit to suit personal style. Not a big deal at all. Removing a few figures is impossible?

Does anyone know if the DO will be a VIP early access set? I don't recall if the PR was when it debuted...