Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

I think the prohibition on cookies is silly but that is fine. Adults can easily change it to a prohibition on alcohol instead but LEGO doesn't have to directly violate their principles.

I don't see how the story would be in the way of anything, you can just ignore the story, so what if there's a hidden hatch to stash cookies? just don't open it.

However using bright colors and simplifying the building to appeal to kids is a bit harder to ignore, and that's where the line should be drawn as it interferes with what modular buildings started off as. A visually realistic representation of familiar architectural design in LEGO. Is it possible that this Idea is still an experimental theme after 10 sets?

I don't see how the story would be in the way of anything, you can just ignore the story, so what if there's a hidden hatch to stash cookies? just don't open it.

However using bright colors and simplifying the building to appeal to kids is a bit harder to ignore, and that's where the line should be drawn as it interferes with what modular buildings started off as. A visually realistic representation of familiar architectural design in LEGO. Is it possible that this Idea is still an experimental theme after 10 sets?

The problem isn't that AFOL's can't ignore the play features as is. It's that we delve into the world of what-could-have-beens and think of the lost space or pieces if the creative design wasn't applied towards play features. We think of what more that building could have been if the original modular direction was applied. And no a lot of us don't have the assets to change it ourselves.

But yes those colors though. That light blue? One thousand ughs will not suffice. It will be hard having a modular display accommodate for the future colorfulness of this modular trend.

Here is my take on 10246 Detective's Office in Lego Digital Designer (LDD) after looking at the official pictures and designer video, in case anyone is interested:

10246_-_screenshot_-_small.png

[10246 LXF]

There are a few things missing/incomplete, including:

• No mini figure inclusion.
  • Part 15429 DESIGNING PLATE 1X2X2 (Unikitty tail) does not properly connect to 4070 ANGULAR BRICK 1x1.
    So, I've excluded 4 of part 4070 from the top roof.
  • Internal structure of water tower is not complete.
  • Does not include scissors part as I believe it is not yet in LDD.
  • I have used the 4150 FLAT TILE 2x2, ROUND in lieu of the new FLAT TILE 2x2 ROUND W KNOB.
  • [EDIT]: I have not yet added the fire escape ladder.

...and obviously, there are several things that will likely be wrong since this was done without instructions.

I didn't want to post this in the Official LEGO Sets made in LDD topic as this is no where near a complete/accurate model.

Instead, I thought I'd post it here as it might be helpful for some to see a few of the techniques I discovered.

My apologies if I should not have done this.

Edited by lomis

The problem isn't that AFOL's can't ignore the play features as is. It's that we delve into the world of what-could-have-beens and think of the lost space or pieces if the creative design wasn't applied towards play features. We think of what more that building could have been if the original modular direction was applied. And no a lot of us don't have the assets to change it ourselves.

But yes those colors though. That light blue? One thousand ughs will not suffice. It will be hard having a modular display accommodate for the future colorfulness of this modular trend.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, because there is not such thing as colorful buildings in the real world.

Oh wait. Look, it's Denmark:

flat,800x800,070,t.u1.jpg

Edited by Sammael

I would certainly not want play features and interior elements to reach the point where the exterior has to be significantly compromised in modulars. The DO does not seem to me to have crossed that line.

There is certainly a lot of exterior details and features. The cookie barrel does not use too many elements, so it does not impact total piece count that much.

On the topic of color, I guess it does not bother me too much that multiple colors were used in this build. As illustrated, some places like Copenhagen certainly have a great deal of colorful structures. It would honestly bore me a bit to use the same few colors over and over again with multiple structures. Once my first modular MOC is completed, i would likely wish to use an entirely different color and theme if I decided to pursue another one. I do appreciate how the various modulars always bring something new to the table. DO obviously has very little in common with the PR, and PR had little in common with the PC, and so on. Variety is the spice of life.

Lomis, can you post a pic of that with the barber shop in the same color as the bricks in the detective side?

Curacao also has a lot of colorful buildings in a row like that, of course, it was a Dutch island (might still be) and several Caribbean homes are very colorful true as is even Key West and Miami. But this is the 1930's building to me, they would not have used that blue and no detective would have his agency next to a blue building.

Oh it really doesn't matter I guess in the end, we are all going to buy it. I will just buy it and enjoy it for what I want and ignore the rest as mentioned. In the grand scheme of life, it's not huge, just something to converse about in this discussion. I will just hope the Museum gets built as is and other modular buildings in the next of the series goes back to the style I like.

I love this. I went through a very long and dark period and have just ogtten back in Lego this past year because of the modular. This hits good on so many levels.

1. I live in a large city in the northeast USA. Some of he buildings do look like this. The pool hall beckons to to my favorite bar, and the apartment over a store front is classic.

2. I view Modulars as base's for my imagination. No doubt I think the build itself is great, but I have always been into toy customization and Lego just make it that much easier. I can blow out a wall, change the bathroom, do all wonderful thing to make the set uniquely mine.

3. The modular IMO has a lot of potential for being customization, I can buy multiple and come out with different things each time.

But this is the 1930's building to me, they would not have used that blue and no detective would have his agency next to a blue building.

I'm not sure how serious you are - the blue used for the building is in line with the blues characteristic of the Art Deco era (i.e. the post-War 1930s), and yes, they were used on buildings.

I really don't see how this modular is an exception - all the modulars are different from each other, this one no more so. I don't see any criteria which all the other modulars meet but this one doesn't.

That's funny about the coloring. I actually like the blue. I don't like the brick brick facade. The nougat color can be okay, but I don't want it like that for some reason. I also don't understand the brown inbetween. That is essentially more of the blue building, so why is it brown? It seems like a lot of colors for one facade. I think that is the problem most people have. But maybe they don't like the colors.

Market Street was a lighter blue too. I realize most people are hit/miss on that design, but I haven't heard too many qualms with the color.

I like the cool yellow color, although I don't like it in proximity to the nougat color. I have plans of switching the nougat color to something else AND not include a brick facade. I'll see how I figure it out.

EDIT: Also, in my mind, the "olden days" were all black/white. No colors would be used. That might just be me though...

Edited by TheLegoDr

I have been to 36 states and downtown of many major cities, never ever seen a blue building like that anywhere, I have not been to the Northeast other than Boston, but I know there isn't anything like that in Beantown in the color blue. You won't find it in Chicago, not in Des Moines, not in Denver, not in Los Angeles or San Fran, well it might be in San Fran off of Lombard for a house but not a business, not in Dallas nor Houston, maybe some out of the way place in New Orleans but been there a few times and never saw it, not in Louisville, not in Minneapolis, not in Seattle, not in Vancouver unless being used as a tv show set, not in Phoenix or Albuquerque or Santa Fe, not in Birmingham, not in Charlotte, maybe in Charleston as I was only in part of that, so I challenge you to find one and post that is in a big city.

Now that said, I hope you find one, not saying I am totally right, I haven't been to every street in every city or town in the US but what I have been, I haven't seen it.

And to repeat myself since I guess you all didn't read it the first time: Oh it really doesn't matter I guess in the end, we are all going to buy it. I will just buy it and enjoy it for what I want and ignore the rest as mentioned. In the grand scheme of life, it's not huge, just something to converse about in this discussion. I will just hope the Museum gets built as is and other modular buildings in the next of the series goes back to the style I like.

Herky, I have seen buildings that color in Venice and Solvang, CA. They are of course exceptions to the rule. But when checking the colors used in similar buildings in Oklahoma, they are universally brick red and concrete. So LEGO colored buildings already stand out from reality before DO.

My more realistic MOC looks out of place next to GE, PS, and FB in my collection. DO does not go much further for me.

^Exactly. You can't expect realism when looking at Modulars. The colors are fun, but I prefer to look at/learn new build techniques.

Yes, we will all buy it because it ultimately looks good, just with a few areas that could be improved (but so far ALL modulars have been like that, in my opinion.)

I have been to 36 states and downtown of many major cities, never ever seen a blue building like that anywhere. . .

And to repeat myself since I guess you all didn't read it the first time: Oh it really doesn't matter I guess in the end, we are all going to buy it.

Did you go to those states and cities in the 1930s? And even if you did, it doesn't matter whether you saw it or not, this colour remains as accurate as similar features of other modulars. And moving the goalposts so that now it only counts if there's such a building in a big city which is a business? I don't mind hearing people's opinions, and if you don't like the colour that's fine, but it's hard to fault LEGO when the standards by which AFOLs judge this set are inconsistent or arbitrary. If you don't like the colour because you think it's not accurate, it should be a good thing to find out that in fact it is accurate.

I don't really get the point of discussion which says "here are my thoughts, but don't respond to them because we're going to buy it anyway". Might as well shutter the forum then.

Edited by GregoryBrick

I think to put it simply, not all of us are expecting or welcoming a Copenhagen or San Francisco collage of buildings. I never stated structures never existed in those colors in similar layouts. There are many aspects of global cities that many people may not want to see in the modular line.

Although it may make sense given everything regarding LEGO, some of us will associate it as a recreation of some Disneyland type of monstrosity. And it is not a wrong opinion to have.

I think perhaps TheLegoDr makes a point with DO in particular:

It seems like a lot of colors for one facade. I think that is the problem most people have. But maybe they don't like the colors.

Market Street was a lighter blue too. I realize most people are hit/miss on that design, but I haven't heard too many qualms with the color.

Edited by Moebius118

very true and that was basically my point too, some folks just like to argue I guess, if I was super busy I wouldn't be on here and see the silliness but it's a good quick break, let's just say I will pick it up, I do not care for the color combination, I don't mind that blue per se, but the color combination is what got me and others as well as the need for a story to the building. I will just be me, which is the best thing I can be and let the haters hate, they have nothing else to do I guess

The color complaint is one that still leaves me baffled? Contrary to the minds eye most buildings, especially commercial properties are quite colorful and eye catching. Blue is a not uncommon color for a painted narrow storefront building. And lighter blues tend to be the norm? Further the blue would be the correct and artistic color to use to offset the dark orange bricks on the Detctive Office and Pool Hall. That whole color wheel thing. Or "why are all modern movies teal and orange?". The color scheme on this looks perfectly ok for the time period and geography that it is representative of.

I have been to 36 states and downtown of many major cities, never ever seen a blue building like that anywhere... so I challenge you to find one and post that is in a big city.

Now that said, I hope you find one, not saying I am totally right, I haven't been to every street in every city or town in the US but what I have been, I haven't seen it.

A building in San Juan

b63d8bff0a466a1d0c68e147f13a8e36.jpg

A public library

july4_15.JPG

Here is a store in Charleston

IMG_3828.JPG

This one is not in the USA but is a commercial building

telkom-msc-08.JPG

And in Havana you will see a lot of color:

2c0de84b2f9a429a3464239b8f69fc0f.jpg

A vet office, but not in a major downtown

vc05nuxhax_0604166e_bfcd_6e5b_233f_ce973eac822e.jpg

This one in Baltimore is not a match because it is only 2 stories and has a cafe instead of a barber shop

blue%2Bmoon.jpg

Here in Milwaukee:

207558852_e216dc15d9.jpg

I could show some more, but these should suffice that there are light blue colored and even two tone blue colored buildings all over the world, even in downtown American cities. I found one next to a red brick building, but next door wasn't a pool hall. I also found one that was three stories with apartments on the top two floors and a shop on the main floor but that one sold clothes and wasn't a barber shop. Still, I think it is close enough (especially the one in Charlotte, NC) to warrant that this isn't something so outlandish to have in your town.

Edited by mrpoindexter

I think it's safe to say that someone can find a building somewhere in the world that has the color of almost any color TLG can come up with. I am fine with the color. Adds a little variety. How boring to have a street full of the same few dull colors.

That's funny about the coloring. I actually like the blue. I don't like the brick brick facade. The nougat color can be okay, but I don't want it like that for some reason. I also don't understand the brown inbetween. That is essentially more of the blue building, so why is it brown? It seems like a lot of colors for one facade. I think that is the problem most people have. But maybe they don't like the colors.

I like the cool yellow color, although I don't like it in proximity to the nougat color. I have plans of switching the nougat color to something else AND not include a brick facade. I'll see how I figure it out.

EDIT: Also, in my mind, the "olden days" were all black/white. No colors would be used. That might just be me though...

People could consider changing the color of one of the elements /floors of the DO. It could be done rather easily.... even for people who are not so common with MODding. Simply buy the DO, start with, for example, the brick-brick-part and count the 1x2 and 1x4 brickbricks and then order the same amount in another color.... Personally, i think that if you place the DO next to somewhat more boring buildings like the Town Hall or the Grand Emporium, it would add something to the whole block... maybe you should see it when it is next to those structures in real life.. colors are not thát bright, once you see them in your own room and then it might be a very welcome, colorfull addition to the modular line! I will buy two sets, and i'm almost sure that i will mirrorbuild them and put the brickbrick-sides together....

Perhaps back 80 years ago barber shops were blue ?

The decor speaks 80 years ago......so maybe the colours do too ? :wink:

@

Here is a store in Charleston

IMG_3828.JPG

This one in Baltimore is not a match because it is only 2 stories and has a cafe instead of a barber shop

blue%2Bmoon.jpg

I could show some more, but these should suffice that there are light blue colored and even two tone blue colored buildings all over the world, even in downtown American cities. I found one next to a red brick building, but next door wasn't a pool hall. I also found one that was three stories with apartments on the top two floors and a shop on the main floor but that one sold clothes and wasn't a barber shop. Still, I think it is close enough (especially the one in Charlotte, NC) to warrant that this isn't something so outlandish to have in your town.

Wow, Baltimore and Charleston look seriously MOCable!

(Well, in a different colour, of course :tongue: )

Seriously, they look great.

Edited by Withacee