Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

It's great to see more :wub: than :look: from everyone for this set.....though I've noticed a few things.

One is no drain pipes on the back of the building.....that would of added an extra play feature to do with the crooks escaping from the Candy Cops.....sliding down the drain pipe. :tongue: .

Two is the females not wearing skirts, women wearing slacks I don't think started appearing say around the early 1940's but I could be wrong ? :blush:

I'm still going to get this set and I'm planning using what's left of my green grocer to build something to go next to it. :wink:

Two is the females not wearing skirts, women wearing slacks I don't think started appearing say around the early 1940's but I could be wrong ?

Women wearing trousers were a rarity until WW1, whereupon it became more common, not least when working in jobs that had previously been done by men. After that point, trousers gained in popularity throughout life — at work and for leisure. Still, #10246 is a mish-mash of ages anyway, not a historical document, and I'd say trousers make for more versatile/posable/playable figures.

I agree legs are easier to pose the minifigs in different locations in the set.

When you look at all the modulars you see no modern tech.....no TV and alike......judging also by the limo and fire truck......yep, stuck in the 1930's for sure. :classic:

When you look at all the modulars you see no modern tech.....no TV and alike......judging also by the limo and fire truck......yep, stuck in the 1930's for sure. :classic:

The Town Hall sort of ruined this illusion by including a computer with a flat screen monitor. There have been other details that aren't 100% historically accurate to being pre-war, but that was by far the most blatant.

Very few of the minifigs wears clothes that resembles anything you'd wear "pre-war". I don't think TLG ever meant to put the modular sets in a specific time period or being "historically correct" in any sense, as it would limit the sets a lot, especially for playability. I think of the houses being built at a certain point in history, but I display them in the now.

Buildings are around for a long time so can be pretty timeless irrespective of when they were built. The buildings in the main street of my hometown are up to 700 years old, so would cover quite a wide timescale, and I bet they now have wifi!

Edited by Heppeng

What makes me giddy is that you can buy ten of these so you stack all the seconds floors to basically make a vertical mall of toilets. If you like, you can keep going until you have a separate toilet for each minifigure. And the town will be christened Urinetown.

post-22955-0-74159000-1416844517_thumb.png

I'm curious on everyone's idea of where to fit the DO into their layout/street. I am thinking of squeezing it in along this part of mine. Its the business district part. With shops and the FB and my own mocs. The FB ambulance annex I moc'd is finally done and in place. I don't think it would look right next to the town house and my other house moc. Here are a couple of photos.

IMAG0481.jpg

IMAG0482.jpg

i think I will be putting it next to the parisian restaurant so I can hang a clothes line across the gap and use blank flag elements as laundry. This will give it more of a mediterranean feel. :classic:

The Town Hall sort of ruined this illusion by including a computer with a flat screen monitor. There have been other details that aren't 100% historically accurate to being pre-war, but that was by far the most blatant.

Yeah, know I remember.....must have being installed by Doctor Who when he traveled back in time ! :laugh:

The TH was an odd one out as it's design doesn't fit the others......apart from the TH they all look early 20th century USA.

I have to find some new spot. The current row of modulars I have is full.

You could buy the new City de-construction sets shortly and knock down your least favourite modular then the DO can go in it's place......just a suggestion. :wink:

You could buy the new City de-construction sets shortly and knock down your least favourite modular then the DO can go in it's place......just a suggestion. :wink:

Right. I most probably try to find a fire brigade so that the DO isnt going to stand alone. Or I moc something up. We'll see.

Right. I most probably try to find a fire brigade so that the DO isnt going to stand alone. Or I moc something up. We'll see.

Likewise here, planning a MOC I am so I can buy this set and it won't feel lonely ! :laugh:

I just noticed the base of the street lamp is above the rest of the sidewalk- in all the previous modulars I have the streetlamp is attached directly to the baseplate so the base is flush with the flat tiles that make up the sidewalk... Going to see what is better- dropping this one down or raising all the rest.

So by the looks of it Lego might stick to a design/theme plan for the sake of keeping everything uniform.

Dam, that might mean I'll need this and the PR ! :laugh:

^Actually, Parisian Restaurant had the street lamp raised as well.

I like the raised lamp version better, as the design of the lamp-post is more visible... so with my latest Bricklink order i ordered some extra 2x2 dark bluish grey plates...in fact 25...;-)

Can anyone guess, how the water tower on the roof was built with so many sides?

I just noticed the base of the street lamp is above the rest of the sidewalk- in all the previous modulars I have the streetlamp is attached directly to the baseplate so the base is flush with the flat tiles that make up the sidewalk... Going to see what is better- dropping this one down or raising all the rest.

I already raised all my steet lamps to match the one in PR. I think it looks much better.

Is the DO going to be stackable? (add additional levels by replicating the middle floor)???

Is the DO going to be stackable? (add additional levels by replicating the middle floor)???

When you look at the pictures, i would say, yes, it is stackable.. and if not.. there is always a way to mod the second floor untill it is stackable....but it seems me that it is easily stackable....

On 11/26/2014 at 10:36 AM, Yooha said:

Can anyone guess, how the water tower on the roof was built with so many sides?

Well, since they use a lot of 1x1 round plates with hole, I thought it could be something like this:

15695188750_dcbd2677a5_c.jpg

But there's definitely something else going on, because I was unable to properly align those 1x3 tiles, while in the pictures they are aligned perfectly.

Edited by imvanya