Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

Scissors = Me happy.

This is one of those kinds of sets where, Christmas will make it look better and better and better to even those people who may now think they don't like it. It's really not my cup of tea either, as an 'I'd rather have bare-bones interiors and more focus on architectural design' kind of guy, but if I awoke on Christmas morning and the box was there, I'd be elated.

And then I'd put all of the little frilly things in that jar that every AFOL has of all of those little frilly things that really can't be used in building, and the figs would be thrown in that drawer where all the extra figs are, and in time, after modifying it to no end, it would looking nothing like it once did.

But that seems to be the beauty of this set. It seems, um, unfinished, I guess. Definitely not a display piece, it's meant to be played with in the way that Lego is meant to be played with.

Now give me an architectural line that is minifig scale and we'll be talking...

I went to the 'exclusive' VIP event at my closest store today, and was hoping to see the DO on display...and it sounds like some did get to see it, at their stores. Alas, not at mine, I asked about it, and got the answer that they didn't have any of it yet...its not out till next year...etc...Humphh..... :-/

Still cannot tell whether or not the windows are printed or they are stickers. I do not see sticker boundaries, although it cannot be ruled out. That mirror element is great. I need this for other MOCs too. The printed dartboard will be well received. This certainly is a good set for getting a lot of nougat masonry bricks and multiple shades of blue. We also get two of the new scissors elements. Kind of surprised there is not a rat in back, maybe the cat keeps it away. We need a new painting. I think the ship now appears in this, the PR, and TH if I am not mistaken. It looks like this will be a fun build.

I don't know for sure, but I just saw the model built at Köln LEGO Shop, and I THINK that they're prints. If they're not, somebody has mad stickering skills.

(click picture for larger)

img_20141122_170434_small.jpg

Once public, more shots in my gallery here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=549943

All that wasted space in the back. They could of added a lot more to it filling it in. I just might do that...

In one of the photos..it looks like the mini fig is sweeping up a decapitated head...oops...I guess its supposed to be barber hair trimmings...

I don't know for sure, but I just saw the model built at Köln LEGO Shop, and I THINK that they're prints. If they're not, somebody has mad stickering skills.

(click picture for larger)

img_20141122_170434_small.jpg

Once public, more shots in my gallery here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=549943

As someone else pointed out, those windows are prints: you can just make them out as a separate part in the inventory on the box shots.

Hola!

The main reason I will buy it is to keep my modular building collection complete.

The pool hall, detective's office and barber are great, but the levels above the barber are too small. Even 6 more studs to the rear of the blue/brown building would have meant it could have been a studio apartment. Not that a cookie-runner necessarily wants to bake his product where he lives, but then the play features associated with the narrative wouldn't be as dominant in the set. No need for anyone to say "Remember, it is Lego, so you can create whatever you want!" or similar.

EvMan

That means with the new round jumper tile and the donut tile from last year we will be able to do another stuff reversal to build out in two directions. Whoo hoo!

Edit: is that Marcos bessa with the helicarrier? He's done some quality work so I won't be disappointed with that set.

Edited by TheLegoDr

What a pleasant surprise. I like it although there are parts that seem to be less interesting. I am not really fond of the blue colour for example.

But overall I think it is outstanding again. And when you think about it, it is amazing how they managed to put in so many details. And add to that the clever parts usage it is a must buy for me.

I cannot wait to get one.

smaller modulars are here to stay by the looks of things. Comparing it to the PR on the back of it's box they are similar in height.

(I recall the designer saying in the PR release video that size took a hit for interiors this time round).

20% sized reduced modulars are the new norm.

Edited by glendo

Love it! Taking one part of the town in another direction, lots of inspiration and ideas for MOCs...

The new parts, colours and prints are much welcome, as well.

I'm not sure this has been mentioned...

While watching the video, I noticed that the designer mentioned that the mirror in the barber-shop was a "true reflection mirror." And next to the lamp post part on the side of the box that lists the pieces, there seems to be a non-sticker mirror piece, which is brilliant.

I quite like this modular, I'd be dissapointed if I couldn't afford it.

Like everything except how much space is devoted to stairs. If this set sucks...then I'd like to see your awesome detail-filled AND clever tongue in cheek MOC...

Just get those stairs outside and we're set! My LDD MOD is already nearly complete. Leading contender takes the alley raised portion extended three studs to building rear into a 180 spiral 'Al side' to landing in brown building replacing the two windows w/a door and a second spiral 'Brickman side' to 3rd floor.

I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with. I also feel like the stairs take up all the Inside space. Please post your LDD file whenyou are ready.

Dan-147

Would be interesting if Lego "unbundled" the interior and exterior on future modulars - ie put all the model parts and money into exterior mass and detail then sell a seperate "furnishing" set. That set could be inexpensive and include details like furniture and wall art (could be minimal like the upcoming Lego movie couch set or more involved like the ideas Big Bang Theory set). Then people would have the option of if and when buy interiors and Lego could maintain "grand" exteriors at the usual modular price range.

It would be interesting but most likely not profitable. They have to design it in according to those furnishing but selling seperately? I don't really see it happening.

Would be interesting if Lego "unbundled" the interior and exterior on future modulars - ie put all the model parts and money into exterior mass and detail then sell a seperate "furnishing" set. That set could be inexpensive and include details like furniture and wall art (could be minimal like the upcoming Lego movie couch set or more involved like the ideas Big Bang Theory set). Then people would have the option of if and when buy interiors and Lego could maintain "grand" exteriors at the usual modular price range.

It'll never happen, but I'd love that. Of course, I'd never actually buy the interiors because I really only enjoy the exterior of the buildings.

My guess is that the new mirror piece will also be included in the new Friends hair salon set.

To those of you who have seen the DO live: is the light blue the same colour as the "light royal blue" that's used in Friends for big plates, eg in Heartlake mall?

Hm. I wonder if the stairs got moved indoors to look less like the PR? Too bad, because a fire escape would look great on this building... Hmm...

This looks awesome! I cant wait to get my hands on this when it comes out!! Ill be able to do a lot of incidents with this...

Hm. I wonder if the stairs got moved indoors to look less like the PR? Too bad, because a fire escape would look great on this building... Hmm...

You could copy the fire escape from the Green Grocer. :wink:

This set looks just as good as it did from the unofficial pics. The backstory is pretty cute - thouh a bit beyond the romance narrative mentioned a while back :wink:.

I ansolutely love it. It has such a vibrant feeling. And two more commercial buildings in line with the size of the petshop. What more could one ask for?