Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

This one is sort of sitting in the middle in terms of where I would rank the modulars. Definitely some nice things going on, and I appreciate the attention to detail in the interiors even if I could take or leave the overall narrative described in the video. I am now starting to get concerned that the "grandness" of old may be gone - with half of this only being 2 stories and the PR not taking up the full baseplate, I really want the next modular to feel heavy and solid. Still, this is a no-brainer in terms of purchase.

This is nice, but I have two qualms:

1) Too expensive for the size

2) Why the brown baseplate? It looks like the back of the building is all mud, which is even worse than the other buildings since the back is visible from the front of the building.

Like It. Will Buy It! Modular line keeps improving in my opinion. As our city grows, Im liking the run down feel of this DO. Not every part of a city is nice and neat and an architectural treat. The play feature of this Modular is not why I like it. Once I've built these sets they get displayed with the rest and rarely do I access the interiors. Others may actively play with theres. To each his own. What I do like about the DO is all the contrasts in the size and colors and that "Pool" sign.

Brick On!

Now with the HD pics, this set looks even better. Dunno if I should get it day one or not.

Now I'm trying to think which parts would be best for making figs of Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. :laugh:

Indeed! I love that Lego are giving a nod to film noir territory - even if the whole 'cookie' thing is rather coy. But it's a delicate balancing act, to be sure: pitching to a young audience with play features, whilst winking at the shadow adult market with the Prohibition references.

I think it's a terrific set and should sit very nicely next to the townhouse/loft from the Pet Shop set, and the Fire Brigade.

Let's stop arguing about opinions and think:

What's in that Letter G in the Design video?

Sounds like the next case for Ace Brickham, Private Detective!

These HD pics really enhance the set IMO, although I won't use many of the play features when I display the set on my shelf. Will probably get this one early on, as I'm almost caught up! Now it's time to start bricklinking CC...

Why, oh why aren't the inner walls of the groundfloor going all the way up? :(

To me that is the biggest drawback od this set

Why, oh why aren't the inner walls of the groundfloor going all the way up? :(

I've been thinking about that as well and I think it's to improve (or even enable, for those of us with big hands) playability in the comparatively small rooms on the ground floor.

I saw it in the store today and the windows are indeed printed. Beside that I think there is a white 2x2 round jumper plate used on the tables in the kitchen and pool hall. Is this a new part?

In fairness to me, I did say "it's very unlikely that the police officer would be a woman." I didn't say it was impossible.

Actually I had not read your post before, so I was just making passing comment on the set not on anyone else's statements.

Anyway, I wonder if the modular design team took inspiration for the whole theme from this........

3792134813_604a7df5af.jpg

............just a thought.

Edited by lightningtiger

I just saw it in the flesh at the VIP Event, and it i as good as i figured from the HD Pics.

It's just choke-full of details, even more so than the PR.

Definitely worth the price.

This one is sort of sitting in the middle in terms of where I would rank the modulars. Definitely some nice things going on, and I appreciate the attention to detail in the interiors even if I could take or leave the overall narrative described in the video. I am now starting to get concerned that the "grandness" of old may be gone - with half of this only being 2 stories and the PR not taking up the full baseplate, I really want the next modular to feel heavy and solid. Still, this is a no-brainer in terms of purchase.

I'm like you. I think this one overall comes in middle of the pack. I like the exterior and particularly the front with all the signage and the changes to the profile. I love that it isn't simply a flat up and down front and has some depths. It feels like a real city business. I like the base prohibition detective story, but could do without the cookies.

The interior upper floors feel a bit too little to me. They made too many compromises to get the neat shape of the building to leave room to do much at the top, so it feels strange. Not enough to prevent me from buying it. But enough to keep it off the top of the list.

I still find all the love for the PR as the best evah! Kind of hilarious considering how savaged it got on reveal. Everyone complaining too small etc. I think it just proves we are a fickle lot until we get the set in hand.

Let's stop arguing about opinions and think:

What's in that Letter G in the Design video?

Sounds like the next case for Ace Brickham, Private Detective!

And today on Sesame Street we are brought to you by the letter H for Helicarrier Nose!

I saw it in the store today and the windows are indeed printed. Beside that I think there is a white 2x2 round jumper plate used on the tables in the kitchen and pool hall. Is this a new part?

Hmmm? Do you mean a 2x2 round with a single stud in the center? If so that is very new and very welcome.

And today on Sesame Street we are brought to you by the letter H for Helicarrier Nose!

Sesame Street... Should have said "Ace Brickham, Coroner, Detective", though that won't fit in.

But, if that's the UCS Helicarrier,

1. Will that Ideas Helicarrier get shut out?
  2. Just how big is it, really?

Well, time to move to the Super Heroes thread.

In the video, they do say it's during Prohibition. The reason they substituted cookies and candy for alcohol was to make the set kid friendly per TLG policy.

Quite, but that showcases that it's clearly an abstraction from reality.

Given how few female police officers there were at the time, I can't help but suspect that TLG is trying to be politically "correct". They're using popular culture - and a kid's toy at that - to advance a political point of view.

Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy if they flipped a coin for every non-licensed mini-fig to define its gender. The Cult of Lego book reckoned at the time of writing the ratio male:female was 18:1. One might argue that is teaching kids what to think regarding the visibility of genders in society.

Of course, it isn't. It's just what happened over time, not least with the sets increasingly being marketed directly at boys. Addressing the balance in a tiny way doesn't bother me in the slightest; and given that this set uses classic 'generic' faces, anyone who does have some kind of problem with what they consider political correctness can just switch two hair/hat pieces.

I'd say Thetford hit the nail on the head, with the modulars being a mix and match of ideas and times. They evoke an old-world feel to some extent, but they're clearly not trying to be accurate to any great degree.

I still find all the love for the PR as the best evah! Kind of hilarious considering how savaged it got on reveal. Everyone complaining too small etc. I think it just proves we are a fickle lot until we get the set in hand.

The curse of the new. You can bet in 2018, people will be raging against that year's new modular, and looking back fondly on the then-classic Detective's Office, until they get their hands on the new model!

This is another winner from TLG. I like both the pool hall and detective agency for locations. Its nice that they are unique and will fit well in LEGO City. Ironic that they are justifying the annual police releases with an organized crime smuggling operation through an Expert release ;) Maybe we do need all those police! Very cleaver details and overall feel to the set. I will be adding this to my growing modular collection.

If I recall correctly. PR got a very positive response upon reveal. Much more so than DO.

The overall reaction was very positive, with a few (but loud/repeated) critics thrown in.

Well spotted! That sure looks like a useful piece

Well spotted! That sure looks like a useful piece

There's another one under the fan in the detective's office, I think.

So we get them in white and dark bley.