Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

Seeing the designer video makes me want to slap myself. That was mind-blowing, thanks Jaime!

As for what I was expecting: I would have liked a dead end alleyway on one of the sides with creates and dumpsters. The side of the building could also had a staircase and possible a bar (probably doesn't fit with LEGO's rules) Other than that is another amazing modular building. Now the biggest problem: I need to purchase this and the other modulars (except Pet Shop)...Oh well I do plan to purchase them all in my life time :)

Got this in my mail today.....Special offer on 22 of november? I know it won't be the DO, but i still hope it will... 15660565877_ee019426f4_z.jpg

Got this in my mail today.....Special offer on 22 of november? I know it won't be the DO, but i still hope it will...

i got it too

i got it too

Maybe the DO is available only tomorrow for people who did make some positive remarks about the 10th modular on EB.... :laugh: ....Say 50% off..... :thumbup: Would be nice....2 x Do for a total of 150 Euro's...haha....!!! I've seen weirder spectacular ways to draw attention to a product....cross my fingers all night!

Edited by LegoSjaak

A big factor in how well the scenario plays out is scale. This is the reason, I believe, why PS and PR are two of the most iconic buildings to date. The compromise is the budget; the company has obviously found a sweet spot in the pricing that appeals to a broad audience, whilst maintaining a decent quantity and quality of bricks.

Thinking of those two buildings, they both played out their narratives flawlessly. PS was able to skimp on interior details because the home on the left was being 'moved into', so it had a fun excuse to be bare. The shop however made good use of the space with a single small living area, and an attic-like sleeping area.

PR, meanwhile, sacrificed scale for interior detail, but the balance is absolutely perfect. If it were a real building, you really can imagine it being just a small family run business, where you know you're going to get a warm welcome and a fantastic meal! And again, the narrative is well played out thanks to the beautiful details throughout all three floors.

This brings the subject to an interesting debate, and that is relevance.

The earliest modular buildings were bare for a variety of reasons, no less because of the budget involved and because there was an opportunity to sell the customisation; the builder gets to choose their own interior. But there is the issue - by doing this, you're limiting the audience. Expectations have rapidly evolved since those very first buildings (which were more an experiment than staple calendar event). The company has evolved, too, with more brand retail stores, a greater drive for online sales and as a result a broader audience.

Suddenly, an empty building doesn't quite look as appealing to all the teenagers, parents or families and older folk who are revisiting (even discovering) the LEGO brand. They want a complete storytelling experience, and the only way to do that reasonably is to make sacrifices. The net product is more popular and, as has been evident, increases the likelihood for higher budgets in future products. The number of unique elements and colours that we've received over the past three buildings in particular has been startling.

I disagree with 'Off The Walls' comments because of the sheer ignorance and elitism. It's important to at least contribute positively to a discussion, and to try to respect the designers intentions. The D.O isn't my favourite looking building, but as a product, it's undeniably superb.

Edited by nesquik

Right now....so much detail and information that JB gave us.

So the modular series is set in a time period early to mid 20th century....hmm, makes one think what's next and have people being throwing modern day designs of there own in with these sets......calling Doctor Who ? :laugh:

Interesting to see play features, which I :wub: in this set.....remember the modulars started how many years ago.......kids back than might be young adults now and they still want some play still even though they are grown up.

JB asked my question I was going to ask about the minifig heads all being the original classic smiley face....it's to do with that wanted poster tile on the wall.....it could be anybody right ? :wink:

A mirror :wub: , dart board :wub: , okay I'm sold on it and I was just thinking the other day about designing a period (1930's) modular to sit along side this.... :grin: (yeah, and everyone will gets what ? :laugh: )

Edit - just did some digging on the net.......there were uniformed police women in the 1930's in the USA and maybe this image could be the inspiration for the female officer ?

Alice_stebbins_wells.jpg

Alice Stebbins Wells......first female police officer in the USA.

Edited by lightningtiger

I think the idea that there is a shift to interior (and kid oriented) from exterior (adult oriented) design is false. The PR showed they are still interested in decorative, architectural exterior. People have always called for more interior detail on these, and they are doing a good job IMO of finding the balance between the two. In this particular case the outside is a little plainer because it's an older run-down building. That they are giving this mix of different types of urban form is, if anything, one of the more adult-oriented things about the line, as those cues about the different economic status of particualr buildings are quite subtle.

The little "story" here is just some fun attenton to detail, and certianly not a sign of a "dumbing down" or kiddfying of the line. I really find that a surprising line to take.

The other point for those fretting about the line is in it's on a clear upswing. I think the cinema is easily the weakest; and while I quite like the town hall, I can understand why some aren't keen on it either. However I think PR was an instant classic and this one in my view is very solid too.

I like the building, I like the outside, I like the inside. The "story" is not important to me, a story can be made for anything. I'm not surprised at the price- though would have hoped for lower of course. WIll be my 7th modular.

One of the most exciting aspects to me about DO is how it is ripe for modifications into a cyberpunk version or even a post-apoc version.

I will likely not be the one who will be able to modify it but I definitely look forward to seeing the people that do.

I really oike this building, and I also really love the fact that they come with the standard smiley faces on the minifigs. Let me tell why I like that so much.

I view advanced lego building as art. And art is meant to suggest things, rather than replicate them. Art is sketchy - it provides the outline, you fill in the details with your own ideas. That's why art is interesting, and many people see different things in the same piece of art.

The smiley face represents "human head" the same way the minifig torso represents "human body".

Also there is some discussion about interior/exterior. To be honest, one of the things I always hated about the first modulars was their lack of interior. Those sets were simply incomplete. The Café Corner is not a café - it's a café building.

Secondly, I think all those interior elements provide tons of creative part usages, and tons of neat ideas for people to learn from. Who would have thought about using the Technic pin joiner as a rolling pin, or ski pieces as fan blades, or the way the pool table or barber chair have been set up? To me that's as imaginative as using Technic axle joiners and Mixel joints to form columns or the use of Bionicle fists and Unikitty tails to create the roof ridges. It also makes the sets a lot cuter. (Which, IMO, adds to the default smiley face effect - I think it's cute, somehow.)

In fact, I wish more themes would use the default smiley face. (That said, I don't care for minifigs anyway. For me it's purely a budget argument. Only one face print = cheaper = more budget left for other details = a more detailed building/interior).

Edited by Erik Leppen

Can anyone tell me what the hair on the cop in the barber chair is?

Or the tan colored hair next to it?

Or the black hair on the guy in the pool room?

I wonder what piece they are using for the bowl of the toilet?

The windows are printed, if you look at the high res picture of the box back you can see the inventory on the top and can see the window glass pieces appearing twice (one for plain one for printed)

Love the mirror (and the fact that its an actual mirror that gives a true reflection). Zooming right in on the parts inventory you can see that it looks like its surface treatment of some sort on the part itself rather than a sticker (next to the lamp post piece)

The lighter blue color looks to me like the same color as Maggie in The Simpsons.

The scissors are attached to the barber shop with a plate 1 x 1 with clip I think (inventory suggests that rather than a brick)

I for one LOVE this set and I want one.

So many wonderful details like the desk fan made out of a propeller and the ceiling fan made out of snowshoes and the lamp made with the skeleton leg and the hidden wall painting and the pool table and the pool sign and all that nice dark blue.

Don't like it? MOC something better yourself - quite simple, 'cause us adults know/and can do much better, right :hmpf_bad:

It's a rather decent set, I think. TLG have gone into a direction that they didn't have to (making a playset) if salesnumbers where high in the sky. That's right, I don't think Modulars are selling all that good

And I'm also quite sure that there's a rather vast amount of Modulars in (adults) basements for future investments. This whole 'investment idea' may have actually turned TLG into making this a playset than straight boring interiorless 'proper' Modular

But who knows? :wink:

The windows are printed, if you look at the high res picture of the box back you can see the inventory on the top and can see the window glass pieces appearing twice (one for plain one for printed)

Good detective work!

When she has her hairpiece on, she looks really good. But every time I see that picture, I think about that face. When she puts that hat on, she becomes a man. You can't see her hair and her face is just the classic smiley face. So it does seem a little silly, and it kind of makes me feel weird because it's almost like they have a crossdressing minifigure. :laugh:

Maybe it's an age thing, but I don't see that at all, perhaps because I grew up in an era where all mini-figs looked like that. My mini-figs were 'male' or 'female' based on whatever whoever was playing with them wanted. The current response to Lego is a bit unfortunate, in that the default is seen as male, and the expectation is female figs will be decorated somehow, which was odd in the scientist set, given that scientists generally avoid make-up.

On another 'nostalgia' moment, looking back the absolute high-end of intricate design from my old sets was the #6382 fire station. It's amazing to see what kids get today with the likes of #10246 — it's like a little slice of the theme parks inside your own house. Some of the interior design going on here is really very clever.

Edited by craiggrannell

My first reaction to this new modular was that it was going to take a little bit of time to grow on me, but having seen these high resolution images has sealed it for me - love it!!

I'm crossing my fingers if this beautiful modular pops-up during the opening event for Singapore's first LEGO Certified Store on 29 Nov! Guest-of-Honour, Her Excellency, Berit Basse, Ambassador of Denmark to Singapore, together with LEGO Singapore and its partner, Bricks World will bring us a great surprise if the Detective's Office set is ready to be showcase or even sell it to invited guests!

A big factor in how well the scenario plays out is scale. This is the reason, I believe, why PS and PR are two of the most iconic buildings to date. The compromise is the budget; the company has obviously found a sweet spot in the pricing that appeals to a broad audience, whilst maintaining a decent quantity and quality of bricks.

Thinking of those two buildings, they both played out their narratives flawlessly. PS was able to skimp on interior details because the home on the left was being 'moved into', so it had a fun excuse to be bare. The shop however made good use of the space with a single small living area, and an attic-like sleeping area.

PR, meanwhile, sacrificed scale for interior detail, but the balance is absolutely perfect. If it were a real building, you really can imagine it being just a small family run business, where you know you're going to get a warm welcome and a fantastic meal! And again, the narrative is well played out thanks to the beautiful details throughout all three floors.

This brings the subject to an interesting debate, and that is relevance.

Absolutely agree with this. PS and PR are my top 2 modulars. I somewhat agree with your comment about the necessary change in direction with Detective Office.

Personally, I tried to but could not like the DO as a whole. Yes, there is clever use of elements, the details is stunning, but I cannot find the elegance that PS and PR had. Hell, I even find the boring Town Hall to look better than this one. As a similar type of building, Green Grocer still seems more appealing to me, despite the lack of interior details. I probably focus too much on the outerior. I don't know, this one feels like a showcase of techniques, or the designer's ability to to make use of strange elements, rather than a well thought out design. At times, it feels like 4 people design the rooms seperately then put them together. The rooms don't feel connected to me, maybe it is too ... modular?

(PS: Just my opinion. I am sorry in advance if someone find this too negative, or in any way insulting to the designer.)

Edited by seta

Edit - just did some digging on the net.......there were uniformed police women in the 1930's in the USA and maybe this image could be the inspiration for the female officer ?

In fairness to me, I did say "it's very unlikely that the police officer would be a woman." I didn't say it was impossible.

Isn't it more that Lego's trying to evoke a certain old-time feel? It's not trying to be historically accurate, unless people really did think cookie smuggling was once a big problem in the US and elsewhere.

In the video, they do say it's during Prohibition. The reason they substituted cookies and candy for alcohol was to make the set kid friendly per TLG policy.

As for the female police officer, I was quite happy to see that. Why not mix it up a little?

Given how few female police officers there were at the time, I can't help but suspect that TLG is trying to be politically "correct". They're using popular culture - and a kid's toy at that - to advance a political point of view. However much one agrees with TLG's politics, it's a kind on conceit on TLG's part for them to be teaching us - and worse kids - what to think. Of course I have the choice not to buy this set if I don't want to because I don't approve of covert political messaging. But then I would have to deprive myself of the set. It isn't fair that I should have to choose between accepting a politics lesson from TLG and enjoying the rest of the set. Why can't popular culture - and kids' toys in particular - be apolitical? Is that really too much to ask?

Really? We are complaining that there is a female cop? 99.9% of the Lego sets have male cops in them, I don't see the problem with their being a female cop. Hell in my career I have worked with a lot of female police officers. I welcome having another chance at a female cop torso.

Given that the police officer in question is wearing a modern uniform rather than one of the period, the gender of the minifigure is somewhat irrelevant irrelevant, I guess the Modular series has more of an anachronistic mess, for example, compare the more historic FB engine to the more modern PC interior, one could make the same assertions about location, for example, why the PR, typical of Parisian Haussmann design is in a series of typically American design. There is also the issue that, without the police officer, there would only be one other clearly defined female minifigure in the set.