Yo guys!

I was thinking that making regular 4x4 is staritng to get really easy with the ball joints, portal axles, etc... So why not UP the challenge?

The real life example of this is the King of Hammers. Here's more info.

So can we build this in real life? I think we can using some smart techniques and gearboxes.

Anyone interested?

Wow never seen this stuff before cool Idea .

Have an idea 4 motors , 2 rc and 2 xl . With a gearbox this can be remote or manual .

So when doing racing on flat car propelled by rc motors . When you get to crawling part you switch over to xl motors .

Now just need to figure out how to build such a thing :blush:

I think this is a good idea, and we could collaborate together to design and build this. I'm going straight to LDD. :classic: :classic:

Edited by Epic Technic

Twin turbo created one I think. I shall go find it

Here it is:

Edited by Nalyd997

Oh noes. I just have the idea to build such a model for days now. I didn't know it has a name, but crawling+baja would be an awesome idea and would need some interesting adjustable suspension. Suspension, where the travel is basically the same but can be soft for crawling or hard for high-speed racing. I think I will end up with a regular buggy though, if I will ever have time to build...

Edited by Lipko

Zblj, the crawlers that you and other have built look to be pretty capable and similar to the professional rock crawlers. Are you looking for us to build a crawler that is also capable of the high speed baja type racing, or are you looking for more realistic type crawlers with working transmissions, single or dual transfer cases, locking diffs, 4 wheel independent controlled steering, and selectable braking?

I've been out to the Hammers, and it's some pretty crazy terrain. I've a couple of friends that got married on one of the trails at the Hammers. They live near there, and they're part of a group that play around on the Hammers on a pretty regular bases. Most of the people in the group have highly modified Toyotas and Jeeps. My friends have have two older Toyota 4runners with solid axle conversions, one of which is running 42" tires and dual transfer cases. Last I heard they are working on a Formula Toyota (F-Toy as they're more commonly called) to compete out there.

I haven't been to the actually King of the Hammers event, but it's something I would like to see someday. It's unlike any other kind of event. The combination of high-speed and extreme rock crawling makes for an interesting challenge, and there are people who spend well over a hundred thousands dollars to build one of these professional rock crawlers. It's pretty crazy.

There have been a few IFS crawlers too. Shannon Campbell had an IFS rig, and he took a lot of flak for driving over a competitors flopped rig at KOH. It was pretty awesome though:

Are the MOCs in my signature the kind of vehicle you are talking about?

I have been using KOH as my inspiration and design ideal for a couple of years.

How much of a purist do we need to be to compete?

v/r

Andy

I was thinking like a vehicle that is good offroad AND fast. For that you usually need a gearbox. Also suspension should be also capable of high speeds, and simple torque tubes might jack up when hitting stuff goung fast.