Hi there,

This is my first post on Eurobricks, and my modest participation to TC5.

I worked with the 8047 "Compact Excavator" from 2009:

8047-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

This set was my first lego technic after my dark age (I could not resist when I saw it in the supermarket).

It is rather small (252 parts), but nicely packed with functions for its size.

The original B-model (a compact log-loader) is rather cool as well, and uses 229 parts.

Building a C-model for this set was therefore my personal dedication to this wonderful set.

Here it goes, a snow groomer:

DSC03010-asp-small.jpgDSC03006-asp-small.jpg

Design:

I tried to provide as much detail as I could. The blade is full thanks to the (only) two panels from the original set. We also have a front light and a beacon on top. There is a bit of blue inside the cabin to evoke some seats, but no more there, as the space is occupied by the lifting mechanism of the blade. The two exhaust pipes are (maybe) oversized, but this was a necessity for a good playability.

Functions:

There are three:

1. Lift of blade (left exhaust pipe, worm gear, 24t crown, lift arms)
  2. Lift of tiller (right exhaust pipe, worm gear, 8t, lift arm)
  3. Working tiller, driven by the caterpillars (12t-12t, 2 times).

In addition, the blade is manually steerable (pin with friction).

Some view to see the mechanisms:

DSC03015-asp-small.jpgDSC03014-asp-small.jpg

And here is how the thing works:

SnowGroomer_meca1.png

In blue is the lifting of the front blade, in green the lifting of the tiller, and in red the rotation of the tiller.

Recycling of parts:

The model uses 213 parts, that is a bit less than the original B-model. But well, this is a C-model :)

We have three real functions, which is actually better than the A-model! Gears are all reused apart from the turntable (which was not used as a gear in the A-model anyway), and the 20t with peghole. Four 16t are here not used as gears (the ones on the tiller), but the two 12t double-bevel, which were used as knobs for moving the arm on the A-model, are here functional and part of the transmission of the tiller.

That's it... any comment welcome. I can post more pictures if needed (although there is not much more to show I'm afraid :D). Instructions are available at rebrickable (Alter-Lego is my pseudo on rebrickable, login was already taken on Eurobricks).

Edited by jyd80

Instantly recognizable groomer. I like it, Although the set has only two panels, your model doesn't look too "trussy" and is nicely filled on the sides. Good job on the mechanics. The look of the cab is agressive and those two exhaust pipes add more of that to it - I don't think that the pipes look too big as you said.

Cute model and pretty complex mechanism inside. It looks like some old-style groomer due to shape of cab. Have you tried to use those curved half-beams in opposite position? I mean something like this:

9391-3-1-snowcat.jpg

Many thanks for all nice comments and welcome messages!

Cute model and pretty complex mechanism inside. It looks like some old-style groomer due to shape of cab. Have you tried to use those curved half-beams in opposite position?

That is a very interesting suggestion (and a cute model)! Actually, I wanted something a bit aggressive, probably because I had in mind a Pistenbully groomer and the lego set 8263. I might try to oppose the curved parts, but I will probably face the issue of a too large cabin top, and the lack of shorter beams to make it smaller :s

It's always nice to see when several mechanical functions are packed inside of such a small scaled creation. It's the true spirit of Technic. Well done!

I love small chibi models! And you used only one set and came with such a recognizable and functional vehicle. Awesome model and an awesome introduction.

It's a great job to get so much out of the parts of this set 8047 I agree that your mechanisms are very tidy and it looks nice :thumbup:

Dear all,

Many thanks again for the positive comments :)

I have added a PDF with building instructions. I realized that the previous part count was incorrect (most likely forgot to include the submodels :s). The C-model actually use 213 parts out of 252, which is not that bad...

J.